DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases

Notices

Automotive Industry News and Dodge Press Releases News regarding the Dodge Ram and other industry info. Post it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice
Default The end for Dodge soon?

Read it and draw your own conclusion:

Fiat Could Kill off Dodge by 2016: Report

Stephen Elmer | Jun 12, 1:37 PM 30 Comments

[IMG]http://www.**************/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2013/06/Dodge-Rear-End.jpg[/IMG]
Dodge’s ranks have been thinning ever since RAM took over the pickup truck business, and next year, Chrysler’s volume brand will cease production of the Avenger, leaving behind a gaping hole in its lineup. This raises the question: Is Dodge headed for the crusher?

With these products gone or going, the alarming question has been raised by Ward’s Auto in a recent report outlining the product shortages at Dodge. And the death of new models is going to get worse, Ward’s reports, citing inside sources that at least two more products are already being prepared for migration to Chrysler or discontinuation. Those vehicles are likely the Dodge Grand Caravan, which will probably be sent to Chrysler and sold exclusively as the Town and Country, and the Avenger, which we already know is set to be discontinued.
That leaves Dodge with the Durango, Challenger, Charger, Dart and Journey. The latter two now ride on Fiat derived platforms. The Dart is currently built at the brand’s Belvidere, IL, plant and will be joined by the Chrysler 100 in 2016, while the Dodge Journey/Fiat Freemont replacement is set to be built in Sterling Heights, MI. Thanks to platform sharing, both the Dart and Journey will have a Chrysler or Fiat equivalent vehicle that can step in as their replacement. As for the Challenger, rumors have been circulating about the the Barracuda nameplate being revived and stepping in as a Challenger replacement, possibly as a second stand-alone product under the new SRT brand – the first product being the new Viper.
The Charger doesn’t have a direct copy that could spin off into another Chrysler brand, but the 300 could theoretically pick up the slack, while the Durango is already built alongside the more popular Jeep Grand Cherokee on the same underpinnings.
So it does seam feasible that Dodge could be discontinued and its products spread out between other Chrysler nameplates, but whether or not Fiat wants to keep Dodge around for the long term is another question unto itself. The year 2016 will mark the climax of several product upgrades and manufacturing changes for Chrysler, all of which started in 2009 when Fiat took an equity stake in the company. If Fiat is looking to dump the Dodge brand, it will be decided by 2016 once all of these manufacturing changes take place.
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST/Express
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:113
Billacuda will become famous soon enoughBillacuda will become famous soon enough

If anything they should dump the Chrysler name and just sell cars under the Fiat name. Re-branding the truck line to Ram was a good move.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

Makes as much sense as shutting down 1,000 Chrysler dealers because they didn't contribute to Obama. Gee, I don't know, Fiat is such a well known name (Fix It Again Tony) compared to Dodge. Either I'm living in Bizzarre O World or I'm getting senile. Hire that hot Italian girl to sell Dodges and keep Fiat where it belongs, in Europe, or american junkyards.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Z funambulist

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3227
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
Makes as much sense as shutting down 1,000 Chrysler dealers because they didn't contribute to Obama. Gee, I don't know, Fiat is such a well known name (Fix It Again Tony) compared to Dodge. Either I'm living in Bizzarre O World or I'm getting senile. Hire that hot Italian girl to sell Dodges and keep Fiat where it belongs, in Europe, or american junkyards.
Couldn't agree more........ And that girl IS hot!
Old 10-05-2013, 01:32 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Black
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

the idea of dodge dying and becoming fiat is ludicrous to me. Dodge has been around since Detroit was put on the map and is part of the big three. to fall off and become fiat because Chrysler isnt doing so hot is like Chevy becoming Renault because no one is buying the impala any more and Ford becoming Citroen because no one is buying a taurus ( which makes me realize i dont even know if those two cars are still in production lol)... it just sounds to crazy to be true.
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 10-05-2013, 07:53 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I don't see it happening either. It wouldn't completely surprise me if they trimmed down the number of models offered, but I don't see it ever going away completely.

JMO

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Vehicle: '12 ram 3500
Trim Level: laramie limited
Color: mineral grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:29
scrappy is on a distinguished road

it kinda looks to me that they are moving Dodge to more sporty offerings? Dart, Charger, Challenger, Durango(sport-ute), and Journey(crossover sport-ute) maybe making the Chrysler/Fiat the family car lines?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: White
Rep:10
bdub12 is on a distinguished road

Anyone I talk to in the automotive industry, technicians primarily, attribute Dodge as being one of the best products that keep them in business. I had an alignment done on my work truck and the shop owner said if it wasn't for Dodge I wouldn't have half the work I do now.

I think Dodge has developed a reputation for being unreliable for whatever reasons.

If I had to guess re-branding trucks to RAM was to make a seperation from Dodge to build the truck line and client base. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a common line of thinking with a FIAT transition.

HOWEVER....I don't see it happening. I can see shifting market segment for Dodge honing in on performance and keeping Chrysler a family market but I don't think they will go away. On the flip side there are a lot of die hard Mopar fans and those fans are highly populated by sport performance based products. I imagine Dodge is seeing that and leaning into that market.

Ultimately, like any other business, they are going to produce products that sell and phase out products that don't perform. If I saw a dozen avengers on the road everyday like to do RAM products I'd be shocked they are discontinuing that model, but I don't see barely any.

Last edited by bdub12; 10-09-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
I don't see it happening either. It wouldn't completely surprise me if they trimmed down the number of models offered, but I don't see it ever going away completely.

JMO

Exco
I agree with you.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: n/a
Rep:10
svzuki is on a distinguished road

The Durango is getting a big refresh and being renamed the Jeep Grand Wagoneer in 2 -3 years.