DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Ram R/T

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: R/T
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
dmp399 is on a distinguished road
Default How did I smoke my torque converter?

Background: 2103 R/T with 9417 miles. I don't race it but I drive it...and take full advantage of all the power it has to offer. I bought it in WA and towed my s10 Blazer to AZ. I am always monitoring my gauges and have never had the trans temp read hardly over half. Until now I have NEVER had ANY problems with it what so ever.

Problem: Friday night was taking my girl to dinner and as I was driving up hill at about 50ish mph I start to feel like I am not moving forward. I had the windows down and the radio up so I didn't hear anything but I look down and realize I'm over 5,000 rpms and losing speed. I think oops I must have bumped the shifter. I see I'm in Drive, rev the engine and notice it revs but now I'm doing like 35. I shift to N and the truck dies. I pull over put it in Park, restart, wait on everything and everything seems good. I shift to drive, let my foot off the brake and roll backwards. I get out look under the truck and under the hood and check the tranny fluid and everything seems fine. Start it up again and THIS time the check engine light comes on. Get it towed to the dealer and after they checked it he says its a the converter and a new one has been ordered from LA. I go over with him how the R/T has a different converter and he says they order everything VIN specific and thats why its coming from LA.

I have broke trannys, grenaded rear ends but I have never had a vehicle fail for what seems to be no reason. From all the reading I have done on this site I am VERY sure I baby this thing compared to some. So how the hell do I smoke a converter in under 10,000 miles? What questions should I ask the tech on monday? I already plan to ask what codes popped, how they know its the converter, if there is anything appearing to be overheated, is there any metal or friction material shavings in the fluid. Any thing else? Thanks!

Darin
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

double check double check and double check again that they ordered the right torque converter...When I rebuilt my 2012 RAM R/T's transmission Chrysler tried telling me that it had just a normal torque converter in it. I had to fight for days until finally someone at Chrysler gave me the part number for the torque converter that's used in vehicles with 4.10 gears:

RL143188AA (for some reason its listed as a grand cherokee and durango torque converter with 4.10 gears, but it should match up with your option codes, the parts department can look all that up)

That's the part number of the torque converter that I put in my truck and it feels the same as before I smoked my trans. 2013 should be the same since it still has the 65rfe trans.

That being said I've never seen a torque converter cause those types of symptoms...These torque converters usually cause a chatter, or a noise when they go bad. Unless the the stator or turbine completely broke and is not turning the trans pump. Its rare but not impossible. If you get the codes from the tech please post them, I wouldn't mind knowing what they are in case I even see this in the field.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the reply. I read your thread and that was what made me so persistent when I was talking to this guy. I'll put up more info after I talk to them again. The only thing that made me feel a little better is after I told him a third time to make sure it was the right converter he told me they had plenty in stock for a normal 1500 but for the R/T they had to get it from LA. I should have more info Monday or Tuesday.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 PM

Thats a good sign, they know theres a difference.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

sounds more like you burnt your o/d clutches same thing happened to me but the rebuilt the whole thing
Old 11-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Picked up my truck from the dealer this afternoon. Feels like a whole new truck. Shifts firmer, sooner, and holds the gears better. Never really thought any of that was a problem but I now feel like this tranny had something going on with it from the get go.

They replaced the converter, pump, oil, and reverse flushed the cooler. This is from the paperwork "9426 failed part transmission oil pump. it had a rotor lugs broken. removed transmission to install oil pump and torque converter and flushed cooler lines too. test drove as designed" Basically says what I figured out from the parts list. The codes that popped were P0944, P0868, P0841. They also updated the VCM, RFH, PCM, and SCCM.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 PM

Ahh..The pump lugs broke...makes much more sense now. Glad everything worked out.