DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:134
Okieram will become famous soon enoughOkieram will become famous soon enough
Default Opticoat 2.0 details and recommendations

I was reading in another thread about a product called Opticoat 2.0. Could anyone share and details as to how to apply this product and is it any good in the real world. Does it last? What prep work is needed. I did a general search on the product and it looks to be about $70 bucks but is anything else required to apply this? Is it like a wax application? Does it take long to dry? I guess over all is it worth the money and time? It looks like something I would like to try. Do you have to wax your truck again after you apply it?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 8sp
Trim Level: BigHorn. RamBox
Color: Black
Rep:210
OldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura about

I did apply Opticoat 2.0 to my new Black 2013 Ram. It was pretty much an all day process. My advice would be to call Optimum and talk to them about your individual truck and conditions. I bought my OC 2.0 from Auto Geeks, along with a prep polish. Pro detailers might even use a clay bar, but I didn't. I cleaned truck thoroughly, polished by hand, and then basically applied OC 2.0 over every inch of the exterior except the glass. The application is a different technique than applying wax. You can do a YouTube search and see how. It's not really hard to do, but it is tedious. As I said, I called Optimum, the maker of the product, and found them to be very informative.I am very happy with the result.

Last edited by OldJoe; 10-06-2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Poor spelling
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM

OldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura about

Drying time is about 24 hours, and it's best to do the work in a clean garage. Also, wax is not needed afterwards, though you can after letting it cure. You wash the truck after one day. Again, call Optimum for advice.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2006
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic information here. I will be taking some of these tips when I get around to doing mine.

I will always be using dawn soap to get any wax/left over stuff off my paint first.

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 10-06-2013, 11:37 PM

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:73
mids will become famous soon enough

I would recommend learning how to a clay bar properly, and using one as a minimum before opti-coating. I suggest this for a few reasons. One of those reasons, is that you don't want to seal in any bonded surface contaminants under the coating, another reason, is that the product bonds best to clean surfaces. The transportation of these trucks by rail exposes these trucks to to many potential contaminants including iron, and iron oxide, that can bond to the paints surface. As much as the truck sitting outside, is enough for some surface contaminants to bond to the paints surface. These contaminants should definitely be removed before sealing. Personally, I would iron-x, clay, then polish, before sealing.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:898
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Opti coat is an amazing product, however, given that it is a "permanent" coating and will not be removed unless abraded, the prep is essential.

as stated above, the paint must be perfect and clean before applying opti coat, therefore you will need to polish the paint. take a look at my step by step guide in the detailing section, you will need to do this entire process for the BEST opti coat performance. ANYTHING left behind in your prep work (swirls scratches and etc) will be permanently sealed in by the opti coat until you re polish the paintwork. you also need to ensure that there are no polishing oils or any other contaminants on the paint as this will affect the adhesion of the opti coat...so there will also need to be a step of removing those oils with prep sol, IPA, or Eraser.

Prep is key with opti coat, a the application itself is pretty easy. here are a couple application videos from Chris at Optimum. you can also use opti coat on every surface including glass, but it s not recommended on the windshield itself. i have used it with great success on hard plastic trim, glass, chrome, and taillight lenses.

if you have any other questions, feel free to drop me an email and i can walk you through the entire process.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!

Last edited by primo spaghetti; 10-07-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 AM

primo, thanks for going further on this then I did, as you are far more experienced with this than I am. I also coated my door and back windows,bumpers, wheel covers, etc. but not the windshield. I wasn't clear about that. Anyway, I was not looking for show quality on the paint when I did mine, but I did work hard to clean and polish as thoroughly as I possibly could, and as I said, I am thrilled with the results. In full sun I can see a small area where I missed some minor swirls between the driver's back door window and the rear window. It kind of bummed me out for a couple of days, but I got over it. Otherwise, I am very content. It really is a work truck that I will try to keep nice. I also used the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on the entire interior, where appropriate. Far superior product to the better known fabric protector, imho.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:38
ILuvaMyTrucka is on a distinguished road

Listen to Primo!!!

I followed his steps when I purchased opti-coat from him and I am very happy with the results. So far I just have done the painted areas. Next step is chrome and wheels.

And when they say it is an all day process, they are not lying. It actually took me two days (and some beer). Day 1 - dawn soap wash, iron-x, clay, and polish paint. Day 2 - apply opti-coat. If you can do this inside a garage that would be best. When I applied my opti-coat it was just a tiny bit windy so when I got to each panel I did a quick dusting with a micro-fibre before I put the coat on that panel.

Primo - you said you used this on hard plastic trim. How well did it spread? I am thinking the smooth trim wouldn't be a problem, but what about the textured trim used for the bed rail caps and top of tailgate?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Rep:898
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJoe View Post
primo, thanks for going further on this then I did, as you are far more experienced with this than I am. I also coated my door and back windows,bumpers, wheel covers, etc. but not the windshield. I wasn't clear about that. Anyway, I was not looking for show quality on the paint when I did mine, but I did work hard to clean and polish as thoroughly as I possibly could, and as I said, I am thrilled with the results. In full sun I can see a small area where I missed some minor swirls between the driver's back door window and the rear window. It kind of bummed me out for a couple of days, but I got over it. Otherwise, I am very content. It really is a work truck that I will try to keep nice. I also used the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on the entire interior, where appropriate. Far superior product to the better known fabric protector, imho.
Hey no problem for expanding. there were very good point in the thread already, but i just want people to know what they are in for when they consider a permanent coating such as opticoat. Being an authorized Opti Guard installer (the pro version of opti coat), i feel comfortable giving out some tips, and as always dont mind providing my experience with a certain product.

I agree with the 303 protectant too. it is a good product product line IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvaMyTrucka View Post
Listen to Primo!!!

I followed his steps when I purchased opti-coat from him and I am very happy with the results. So far I just have done the painted areas. Next step is chrome and wheels.

And when they say it is an all day process, they are not lying. It actually took me two days (and some beer). Day 1 - dawn soap wash, iron-x, clay, and polish paint. Day 2 - apply opti-coat. If you can do this inside a garage that would be best. When I applied my opti-coat it was just a tiny bit windy so when I got to each panel I did a quick dusting with a micro-fibre before I put the coat on that panel.

Primo - you said you used this on hard plastic trim. How well did it spread? I am thinking the smooth trim wouldn't be a problem, but what about the textured trim used for the bed rail caps and top of tailgate?
Thanks for the support! i'm glad you liked the opti coat!

it is a bit more difficult to put on the textured trim like the bedrails, but does work pretty good. i also applied it to my textured mirrors on my SLT. it looks great IMO! i foudn the sponge that comes with the opti coat works well for the textured trim, but i preferred the suede mf applicators that come with the Cquartz to be a better medium to applying on textured trim. other also like using the blue shop towels for application on textured trim.

I will however say that i preferred the application of Cquartz Dlux on textured trim. it doesnt last as long as opti coat, but i like the way the cquartz applied even though it doesnt last as long. and it is more of a restoration product so it did bring back some life to the older trim i used it on.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:11 PM

primo, two things I would share from my experience. I also coated my new Bushwhacker Fender Extenders and I have have the RamBox Cargo System and coated the vinyl tops on the boxes. The first couple of days the top of the RamBox looked a little funky, but as it cured they looked perfect. Also, I washed my truck two or three days after appyling the OptiCoat and was aghast to see watermark rings that wouldn't come off. It was way before the sun came up, so it wasn't from that. I was beginning to panic! I read that it wasn't unusual for this to happen during the initial curing time and to wait it out. 24 hours later, the marks were all "mysteriously" gone. This stuff does take a while to totally cure. Now, like I said, other then the small area of swirls by the back window, I'm I am very happy. Next, I am going to test it out on my wife's 2 year old Camry, where the paint is still in good shape, but far from new like my truck's was.