DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
vaneedendc is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 Ram 2500 6.7l cummins with DEF : best exhaust & CAI

I've read lots of threads but can't seem to get a good idea of what is the best aftermarket exhaust & cold air intake for 6.7l Cummins with the DEF.

I don't want to do anything that'll void my warranty & just want some extra hp & ftlbs. Not interested in any tuners or chips, yet anyway.

Any advice or ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

For a CAI the S&B is definitely the best choice IMO. It's the nicest made intake available and with the optional ram air scoop, will give you the most gains. Keep in mind those gains will be minimal as it's only an intake swap. On Cumminsforum I've read of guys gaining about 1 mpg and maybe a few HP and ft-lbs. Don't expect anything crazy.

As far as exhaust goes, if you aren't going to do a turbo back exhaust (with all the deletes) you won't gain anything so it's not even worth touching it. If anything you could pull the resonator off but since it's a straight through design already you won't gain anything from doing so.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Color: White
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:26
Moose612 is on a distinguished road

From what I've read the stock intake on the new diesels is about as good as you can get until you are hitting the high hp modifactions. I'd swap the filter out for a better dry filter though.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose612 View Post
From what I've read the stock intake on the new diesels is about as good as you can get until you are hitting the high hp modifactions. I'd swap the filter out for a better dry filter though.
Yes, this is true. Especially on the '13's with the active air intake. Dry filter is definitely the way to go with a turbo'd engine as well. Don't get an oiled one.

I plan on changing mine simply because I like the look of it, I want more turbo noise, and I'm a mod addict I'm not really expecting much for gains out of it. At least not until I do more mods down the road (tuner, TBE, intake horn etc.).

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 & 2011 Wrangler
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Rep:35
Wandell is on a distinguished road

Honestly, you'd be better served by skipping the intake and exhaust and putting that money aside for a H&S tuner. The OEM intake and exhaust (after the emissions equipment) are excellent designs.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Wandell, where did you get your H&S tuner, MBRP exhaust, and I'm assuming you've done an EGR delete? And about how much did that all set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:53 PM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaneedendc View Post
I've read lots of threads but can't seem to get a good idea of what is the best aftermarket exhaust & cold air intake for 6.7l Cummins with the DEF.

I don't want to do anything that'll void my warranty & just want some extra hp & ftlbs. Not interested in any tuners or chips, yet anyway.

Any advice or ideas?
Unfortunately I think that you're out of luck. You won't see any performance gains by replacing the tail section of your exhaust or replacing your intake. As previously mentioned the OEM air intake set-up is very efficient and you can't replace your exhaust system without a tuner.
If you do go with a tuner you will need this first http://www.bullydog.com/product.php?ID=472

I can't speak for the 2013's but on the 07-09 6.7's you can unplug your EGR valve to pick up a little power and fuel economy. On the 2010-2012 it's hit and miss if you can do that. Some go into limp mode while others operate just fine, either way though you will have a CEL. I picked up about 2mpg +/- by disabling my EGR...
Old 10-02-2013, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 & 2011 Wrangler
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Rep:35
Wandell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Wandell, where did you get your H&S tuner, MBRP exhaust, and I'm assuming you've done an EGR delete? And about how much did that all set you back if you don't mind me asking?
I purchased my H&S XRT tuner and MBRP DPF/NOX delete pipe from Rollin' Smoke Diesel. At the time the tuner was around $600 and the delete pipe was about $100. On the 2012's, the EGR is disabled by the tuner. You can deleted it completely if you want to clean up under the hood but it's unnecessary.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

I just checked out their site and it doesn't look like you can get the XRT Pro that supports DPF delete anymore. And now obviously the MiniMaxx race tuners are ridiculously expensive with everything that's going on with the EPA. $1650 for a tuner is outrageous! I saw on H&S website that you can get a MiniMaxx street tuner with international software, I wonder if that one still supports DPF and EGR deletes? I'll probably have to contact them to find out....

Old 10-02-2013, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
I just checked out their site and it doesn't look like you can get the XRT Pro that supports DPF delete anymore. And now obviously the MiniMaxx race tuners are ridiculously expensive with everything that's going on with the EPA. $1650 for a tuner is outrageous! I saw on H&S website that you can get a MiniMaxx street tuner with international software, I wonder if that one still supports DPF and EGR deletes? I'll probably have to contact them to find out....
There are ways to get emission minus tunes, but it's not going to be directly from H&S. They can sell "street" tuners and "low sulfer calibrations" but to get the "low sulfer" you need to provide documentation that it's not a street driven vehicle.........So you are left with the street tuner.........but..........
Tuning is out there......