DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-13-2013, 03:00 AM
MOPAR or no Car

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Black / Gold
Rep:145
madhatr02 will become famous soon enoughmadhatr02 will become famous soon enough
Default AMP Research Bed Xtender HD Instal

As I have mentioned before, I really love my Dodge errrr Ram and unlike other trucks I am not going overboard with a bunch of mods I don't need. Having said that I have 2 really big hunting trips this year and as we all know the 5'7" bed isn't the biggest on the market, but I didn't want the 6'4" bed just a personal preference. I will be taking several large ice chests as well as a decent amount of gear. I looked at the Dodge Bed extender but only saw it on trucks with the Rambox and I imagine it kind of pricey. I know the guys at 4wheelparts here locally and decided after some review to go get the AMP research Xtender HD.

[IMG][/IMG]

I can tell you this was the one of the easiest installs I have ever done. I watched a few videos (which were not current) but I did have the T-20 torq bit, 9/64 drill bit and phillips head screwdriver ready to go. The hardest part about an install, especially one this easy is remembering to take pictures.

I guess AMP copied Ram's configuration on the bed extender because the package comes with a template to drill 3 holes in each side of the bed to hold the mounting bracket for the extender. So I cut out the template and wouldn't you know it there were 3 indentions from the factory exactly where the holes needed to be drilled. So I drilled the 3 holes and screwed the brackets on.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is where the process being so simple gets in the way of picture taking. The extender itself comes in basically 3 pieces. The 2 sides and then 3 bars in the middle that connect them. You simply hook the 2 sides to the bed and then position the 3 crossbars on the back and use the supplied brackets to cover where the bars meet each other.

There are also tether straps that with the tailgate down clip into the tailgate where they would secure with the tailgate up.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

IMPRESSIONS:

Fit & Finish - Spot on everything went together EXACTLY as it supposed too with zero issues.

Quality - Powerdercoat looked good, no issues, directions and templates were perfect.

Other - I like how it can be used to seperate items in the bed even when the tailgate is up which will come in handy.

Price - About $200

Glad I did this it will work great on my trips and when the wife decides we need to go to the store (the woman can shop)

2013 Laramie Longhorn
aka "The Enterprise"
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:47
shears is on a distinguished road

Nice. I really like the look of that extender. I haven't seen many bed extender write ups so it's good you posted this.
6" BDS Lift, 35x12.50x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 18x9 XD Addicts, FlowMaster Super 10, S&B Cold Air Intake, Solar Gard 20% window tint, WeatherTech DigitalFit floor mats, Debadged, Plasti-Dipped Grill and rear ram head emblem, Tow hooks
Taking Donations for more mods...
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Rep:32
87 GN is on a distinguished road

I have been looking into the wider version of the the same extender but was not sure how it would work with my cover (bak flip roll x), I think the one you picked may work just fine for my needs and it should work fine with the cover. I like that the bolt locations are same as factory
Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Oudoorsman
Color: White
Rep:39
Outdoorsman2012 is on a distinguished road

Nice Job! Was thinking I could use one of these and the write up was great!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Great write up!!

And I am pretty sure Amp didnt copy Ram, I believe it is the other way around. A budy of mine has one of the very first bed extenders from Ram (circa Late '10) and it is just a rebadged older design AMP.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Limited 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:105
Marine671 will become famous soon enoughMarine671 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the write up. Nice review... I got a short bed and kept debating on whether or not i made the right choice. I saw that same extender and figured I can live with the short bed if I can choose a good extender. made my life easy with your review
Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

doest it just slip out easily too?
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 10-14-2013, 12:55 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Nice write up and install. I only have one question... I didn't see a beer in the photo shoot. Where's the beer, Dood? This is Texas, we don't do anything, 'cept shoot guns, without a beer.