DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-12-2013, 05:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 1500, 2000 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie, SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:69
slimpartywagon will become famous soon enough
Default Getting ready for a complete sound system Build

The Mrs gave me the go ahead to build a sound system up in my 2000 Ram 2500 Extra Cab since the head unit I installed turned out to be a piece of junk. We went to Wal-Mart and listened through all the decks they had on hand, and came to the conclusion it was time for a complete upgrade.

Now customizing and build stuff isn't new to me, and installing stereo parts also isn't new to me, but I have never pieced a system together from the ground up before. I listen to mostly Country and Classic rock with the occasional rap and bass beats like this one . I want my system be a powerful and crisp through all of the sound spectrum with as little distortion as possible.

I am planning on using a Boss 752UAB head unit paired with a Boss av1204A 7 Band Preamp Equalizer. I am going to be adding a pair of speakers to the kicker panels and a sound bar to the rear part of the headliner above the rear windshield. As well as upgrading all the stock speakers. I am going to also build a box underr the rear seat to house to subs (not sure if I am going with a pair of 8's or 10's).

During this build, I am also going to be building me a custom dash board since mine is all cracked up.

This system is going to take a while for me to build because I don't have the financial resources to build it all at once. I am going to start off by buying the head unit, then either door speakers or amp to run the new speakers fallowed. I am also thinking my system would be best using 3 amps. A 4 channel amp for the front (kicker Panel and front door speakers), another 4 channel for the rear speakers, and then either a mono or bridge 2 channel amp to drive my subs).

Like I said earlier this is a budget build, and I don't want any one component over $200 because that is the most I can spend at one given time (that was an agreement between me and my wife so that I can do this build).
Can any one give me advice on how to build this system for cheap?
How do I know what subs and speakers will work with what amp? Let us say my front door speakers are rated at 300 watts RMS, do I need match my front kicker pannels to 300 RMS as well? And say that I do match the kicker panel and door speakers to 300 Watts, does that mean I need a 1200W Amp with 300W per channel?

Last edited by slimpartywagon; 10-12-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Kewlbie31 is on a distinguished road

First off, I wouldn't worry about getting too power hungry. You can have a clean sounding mid and high stage with a decent set of speakers and only 50 watts rms each. Secondly, how many speakers total are you wanting? That determines your amp channels and power. Lastly, if you are wanting crisp I would do two 10" subs in a sealed box. They will be plenty loud enough but not sound like you're trying to be the loudest on the block. Also, make sure whatever amps you get that they are cea certified. That means they do what they say they do as far as power goes. Just my .02.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:49 PM

I am thinking between 8 and 16 midranges, 4 and 8 tweets, and 2 to 4 subs... if I have room
Old 10-13-2013, 03:16 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimpartywagon View Post
I am thinking between 8 and 16 midranges, 4 and 8 tweets, and 2 to 4 subs... if I have room
thats a lot of speakers...

Andddd I wouldnt use anything that Walmart sells. Especially if you're doing crazy stuff
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:184
bstc00 has a spectacular aura aboutbstc00 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer View Post
thats a lot of speakers...

Andddd I wouldnt use anything that Walmart sells. Especially if you're doing crazy stuff
I'm with him on this.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:31 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimpartywagon View Post
The Mrs gave me the go ahead to build a sound system up in my 2000 Ram 2500 Extra Cab since the head unit....
This is right about the point you lost me....

Grub out!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:46 AM

I notice a lot of you going with JVC head units. what are your opinions on the KD-R640?

Wal-mart isn't where I am going to be getting my equipment from, its the only place in the area that sells audio equipment, so I was using their store display to find me a cheap head unit, before I decided to build a system. My wife gave me a budget of up to $150 for the head unit. the JVC KD-R640, has all the features I need and want.

I have three features that are a must. First it has to have iPod support. I listen to 90% iPod, 5% Radio, and 5% CDs. Secondly the Head Unit has to have at least 2 sets of RCA Jacks, 3 would be nice, but I can live with two if I go with an equalizer with a separate line out for the subs. And lastly it needs to have Bluetooth for at least phone calls, but Android support like the model I showed would be nice as I plan on using my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for streaming media from at times.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:06 AM

Vehicle: 2011 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
autokraftgt is on a distinguished road

Please let me know why you think that many midrange speakers and tweeters are necessary in your vehicle...
Old 10-14-2013, 12:14 PM

because I can. But for each mid, I plan to pair with a tweet. there are already 4 mid ranges, I am just going to add 4 more as a center channel.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

EDIT
My mistake, I missed your statement about 3 RCAs would be nice. Following statements will just agree with you then! (there are also other things stated in this post as well other than the outputs.

If you want to go all out, thats totally fine. But a nicer sets of speakers will do just as much.

as far as the stereo: I have this. Im pretty sure its like the model under that one; it doesn't have bluetooth, other than that its pretty identical.

For me personally it works out pretty good, theres a few problems with it though.
The PICO fuses internally blew pretty quickly and I had to ground the RCA's to remove the alternator noise that took over the subs. Easy fix, but I wouldn't have had to do it if the internal fuses didn't blow.

next is that since it only has 2 pre-outs, you CANNOT easily add a 4 channel amp AND a sub amp. Some 4 channel amps have a sub output in it, that would work, but then the sub settings on the stereo don't apply. You can always add a crossover into the mix and do some weird things that could allow you to add both amps. But in the long run I would have found a cheaper stereo with 3 outs (FR,R,SUB) instead of the 2 where its FR,R/S.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs

Last edited by Thebestestdrummer; 10-14-2013 at 12:42 PM.