DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Cbr1107 is on a distinguished road
Default TRX ride height vs SLT

First off, I apologize because I am sure this has been covered countless times before. I did search for about 30min while trying to entertain a 3 month old and I could not come up with the answer.

What parts are different on the TRX models vs the SLT that make it sit so much higher? I have a 2010 SLT and I have always hated how low it sits. I have never hear of the TRX models having any shake in 4x4 problems as can be the issue with using the Bilsteins on the SLTs. Would changing the height of my SLT be as simple as just putting on whatever parts are on the TRX?
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

TRX's just have a slightly taller strut. 0.75" to be exact.... If you want a tiny bit more height just be Bilsteins and set them at 0.7" or 1.4". You won't have any problems there. Or if you actually want to be closer to level set them at 2.1". Most guys don't have any problems at that height either.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 10-14-2013, 06:44 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Outdoorsmen
Trim Level: Outdoorsmen
Color: Black
ramit1500 is on a distinguished road

I have an outdoorsman same as a trx have had a 2.5" level on the truck basically since new. My truck with the kit installed sits 3.25" taller in the front than a stock truck. Year and a half later, 35,000 kms, and frequent 4wd use and I have no "4wd wobble" that some seem to have trouble with. Like Brandon said get some adjustable bilsteins set them where you want them and if you get some wobble adjust them down.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:13 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Silver
Cbr1107 is on a distinguished road

Just the answer I was looking for. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbr1107 View Post
Just the answer I was looking for. Thank you.
No problem. Not sure how much lift you're after getting but I would definitely recommend a 2.5" levelling kit cheaper than changing struts and more lift.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit1500 View Post
I have an outdoorsman same as a trx have had a 2.5" level on the truck basically since new. My truck with the kit installed sits 3.25" taller in the front than a stock truck. Year and a half later, 35,000 kms, and frequent 4wd use and I have no "4wd wobble" that some seem to have trouble with. Like Brandon said get some adjustable bilsteins set them where you want them and if you get some wobble adjust them down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit1500 View Post
No problem. Not sure how much lift you're after getting but I would definitely recommend a 2.5" levelling kit cheaper than changing struts and more lift.
No offence but I gotta say that this definitely isn't great advice. Typically 2.5" (2.6-2.7 with Bilsteins) is the highest you want to lift the front end of a Ram without having CV shaft or control arm issues. Just because you have done it and happen to not have any issues is not a good enough reason to tell someone else to. For one, not all trucks are the same from the factory so yours might have been lower to begin with which is why you're getting away with it. The majority of guys will have problems lifting that high without a diff drop or control arm drop. Why do you think that websites like Rough Country and others have a disclaimer on their 2.5" kits saying "not recommended for TRX models".

OP, if you want to truly level your truck you need to measure it to figure out exactly how much rake you have. From there you will know how much front end lift you need to be level. Keep in mind you want to retain at least 0.5" of rake to avoid looking nose high. If you go with a spacer the max you will want to go is a 2". If you go with Bilsteins, add 0.75" to your rake measurement and then you'll know what height to set them at. And again, don't jump on something because one guy happens to not have an issue with it where 95% of people do. Do your research and make sure you know what you're getting in to.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
No offence but I gotta say that this definitely isn't great advice. Typically 2.5" (2.6-2.7 with Bilsteins) is the highest you want to lift the front end of a Ram without having CV shaft or control arm issues. Just because you have done it and happen to not have any issues is not a good enough reason to tell someone else to. For one, not all trucks are the same from the factory so yours might have been lower to begin with which is why you're getting away with it. The majority of guys will have problems lifting that high without a diff drop or control arm drop. Why do you think that websites like Rough Country and others have a disclaimer on their 2.5" kits saying "not recommended for TRX models".

OP, if you want to truly level your truck you need to measure it to figure out exactly how much rake you have. From there you will know how much front end lift you need to be level. Keep in mind you want to retain at least 0.5" of rake to avoid looking nose high. If you go with a spacer the max you will want to go is a 2". If you go with Bilsteins, add 0.75" to your rake measurement and then you'll know what height to set them at. And again, don't jump on something because one guy happens to not have an issue with it where 95% of people do. Do your research and make sure you know what you're getting in to.
I appreciate your comment but you are misinterpreting what I said completely. My truck from the factory is 3/4" higher than a slt I know this for a fact have a friend I park beside every day at work with an slt and a 2.5" level same as mine and I sit exactly 3/4" higher so that is not why I am able to get away with the extra lift. The op has an slt I recommended installing a 2.5" level on his slt struts which would give him 2.5" of lift front not to buy bilsteins or trx struts and than install the lift. Rough country DESIGNED the 2.5" lift for standard ram struts so do not understand your comment. I chose to take the risk of installing the lift on top of my already higher than "stock" struts on my own vehicle and was successful. I am a mechanic and am very in tune to my vehicle and inspect it often and have had no negative affects from the added lift at this point. You are right all trucks have different flaws and locally I know half a dozen people with 2.5" levels with no issues as well as my own truck with 2.5" level and trx struts. Only know 2 people locally with 4wd wobble and one of those vehicles is completely stock. " And again, don't jump on something because one guy happens to not have an issue with it where 95% of people do." Wow really surprised rough country or any of these lift companies are in business if 95% of their lifts installed within their recommendations end up causing problems.

Last edited by ramit1500; 10-15-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 PM

Also noticed your signature 6" rcx on bilsteins set at 1.4". Rough country doesn't recommend the 6" with trx struts (.75") same thing with bilsteins at 1.4".

Last edited by ramit1500; 10-15-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

I understand completely what you're saying. You lifted the front of your Ram 3.25" and are now recommending it to other people. I don't necessarily mean the OP, I mean the hundreds of other people that are also going to read this thread when researching leveling kits. Those are the people that will have the problems. I fully agree that the OP will be fine putting 2.5" spacers on standard struts. I ran them on my 1500 and had no problems at all. But that still doesn't change the fact that anyone looking to level their truck should be measuring their fender heights first.

Here's where you are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying 95% of people who put 2.5" level on will have problems. I'm saying 95% of people who lift the front end with out a diff or control arm drop will have problems. Again, you are one of the 5% that don't have problems.... But that is quite uncommon.

Regarding my lift on my 1500 and running Bilsteins at 1.4", you obviously didn't look at the thread to see the pictures. This comes back to the point about needing to measure your truck since they are all made differently. My truck had 3.25" of rake from the factory so even with my lift and Bilsteins at 1.4" my CV shafts and control arms were almost perfectly horizontal, so essentially stock. The reason I knew they would be is because I measured and did the math.

So back to the main point of my last post. Don't go throwing it out there that lifting the front of a Ram 3.25" is fine and won't give any issues. While it might be true for you (as your truck most likely had more rake than normal from the factory) it won't be for most people; the majority of people will have problems.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
I understand completely what you're saying. You lifted the front of your Ram 3.25" and are now recommending it to other people. I don't necessarily mean the OP, I mean the hundreds of other people that are also going to read this thread when researching leveling kits. Those are the people that will have the problems. I fully agree that the OP will be fine putting 2.5" spacers on standard struts. I ran them on my 1500 and had no problems at all. But that still doesn't change the fact that anyone looking to level their truck should be measuring their fender heights first.

Here's where you are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying 95% of people who put 2.5" level on will have problems. I'm saying 95% of people who lift the front end with out a diff or control arm drop will have problems. Again, you are one of the 5% that don't have problems.... But that is quite uncommon.

Regarding my lift on my 1500 and running Bilsteins at 1.4", you obviously didn't look at the thread to see the pictures. This comes back to the point about needing to measure your truck since they are all made differently. My truck had 3.25" of rake from the factory so even with my lift and Bilsteins at 1.4" my CV shafts and control arms were almost perfectly horizontal, so essentially stock. The reason I knew they would be is because I measured and did the math.

So back to the main point of my last post. Don't go throwing it out there that lifting the front of a Ram 3.25" is fine and won't give any issues. While it might be true for you (as your truck most likely had more rake than normal from the factory) it won't be for most people; the majority of people will have problems.
You are throwing out things that I never said. I posted my experience and recommended bilsteins OR a 2.5" level. I never said you can trouble free lift the front end of a ram 3.25". As far as your truck with the 6" and bilsteins it is no different in my opinion. My truck sits level with 3.25" in the front and my cv angles look great doesn't change the fact that it is 3/4" higher than a stock truck with a 2.5".