DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ccarr is on a distinguished road
Default Bakflip G2 vs F1

I have a 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab and I'm looking to get a tonneau cover before winter hits. Just from looking around on this forum, I think I've settled on a Bakflip. I love that it locks with the tailgate, can flip up out of the way, and sits flush with the bed. I'm debating between the G2 or the F1. There's a significant price difference, so that alone is making me lean towards the G2. What are your guys' thoughts? Do any of you have a preference either way?

Also, for those of you that own a Bakflip, when the cover is flipped all the way up, what does it rest on? I'm concerned about it rubbing on the paint or back window if I drive with it up.

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

The only difference between the G2 and the F1 is the material that the top of the panels are made of. The G2 is a full aluminum cover while the F1 has fibreglass top panels (the rest is aluminum). Because of this the F1 will be slightly lighter and some say it is more resistant to heat (very minimal difference though). The main advantage of it is that the fibreglass will be more durable against small dings and dents from hail or other objects hitting it. That's where you have to weigh your decision to determine if it's worth the money to upgrade to the F1.

The cover comes with 3 foam strips that you can put on the underside of the panel that leans up against the rear window of the truck. You can place them exactly where you need to to prevent the aluminum part of the panel from hitting your truck or window.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 10-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie
Trim Level: Longhorn Crew Cab
Color: White/Gold
Rep:483
Silvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of light

I just mounted a BakFlip F1 on my new Laramie Longhorn. This is my second F1 and they are worth the difference in price. I think there's a significant difference in the weight capacities of the 2 bed covers. If your truck is subjected to any heavy loads of snow I would suggest the F1.

The G2 is rated at 250 pounds evenly distributed and the F1 is rated at 400 pounds. If weight capacity isn't a concern then you should buy the G2.

http://www.bakflip-tonneau.com/features.asp

*** US Army Retired - 11B40 - 1964/'85 ***

Last edited by Silvercreek; 10-15-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:387
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice

I don't know what it weights but I remove or install my G2 in a couple of minutes with no help. The aluminum on the G2 is very thin and I find it hard to imagine that it's heavier. On the flip side it did get dented pretty easy by hail and it's a PITA to keep the surface clean. After 3 years it still looks pretty good and still keeps everything dry. If you have the extra cash I would suggest the F1 but If not I think you will be satisfied with the G2. Regardless of witch one you get buy a tailgate seal to keep the dust out because it builds up fast!
2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats
Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

JMO.....I looked at both and decided on the F1.....It is worth the price difference....You will not regret it at all......Once you decide please take a pic.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 10-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7L
Rep:34
woopderson is on a distinguished road

I've had my G2 on my '13 Big Horn CC for 4 months now, and here is how I would review it:

Ease of install/use:
You can definitely do this on your own. The only annoying thing for me was getting the rails on. It is really easy to use, and you don't have to spend too much time messing around with it.

Cargo Protection:
The cover uses two hand crank bolts to secure itself to the rails. I find that these have a tendency to slide and my cover comes out of alignment, producing a small gap near the tailgate. Working on a solution to figure that one out. Other than that, it keeps the bed clean and dry.

Wear and Tear:
As far as wear goes, it has survived pretty well so far. I haven't carried anything on top of it, so I cannot attest to that. When you're not using them, the little arms that support the cover when it is upright rest in little loops along the bed rails. A bumpy ride pretty easily knocks the rods out, and you will hear them flap around when you turn a corner. They can be unscrewed if needed. I will probably make my own loop for them.

Overall:
Despite the minor issues, I very much like this cover. It looks great, works well, and is easy to use.

8/10
Old 10-16-2013, 01:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I don't know what it weights but I remove or install my G2 in a couple of minutes with no help. The aluminum on the G2 is very thin and I find it hard to imagine that it's heavier. On the flip side it did get dented pretty easy by hail and it's a PITA to keep the surface clean. After 3 years it still looks pretty good and still keeps everything dry. If you have the extra cash I would suggest the F1 but If not I think you will be satisfied with the G2. Regardless of witch one you get buy a tailgate seal to keep the dust out because it builds up fast!
Is your cover mounted too far forward? I have had mine on all summer long and have taken it down some very dusty roads, and I haven't found there to be an issue with dust in the bed at all?

I do get a tiny bit of water, but that's only because I haven't installed my drain tubes. For the few drops of water that I get in there, I can't be bothered to cut holes in my spray in bed liner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopderson View Post
I've had my G2 on my '13 Big Horn CC for 4 months now, and here is how I would review it:

Ease of install/use:
You can definitely do this on your own. The only annoying thing for me was getting the rails on. It is really easy to use, and you don't have to spend too much time messing around with it.

Cargo Protection:
The cover uses two hand crank bolts to secure itself to the rails. I find that these have a tendency to slide and my cover comes out of alignment, producing a small gap near the tailgate. Working on a solution to figure that one out. Other than that, it keeps the bed clean and dry.

Wear and Tear:
As far as wear goes, it has survived pretty well so far. I haven't carried anything on top of it, so I cannot attest to that. When you're not using them, the little arms that support the cover when it is upright rest in little loops along the bed rails. A bumpy ride pretty easily knocks the rods out, and you will hear them flap around when you turn a corner. They can be unscrewed if needed. I will probably make my own loop for them.

Overall:
Despite the minor issues, I very much like this cover. It looks great, works well, and is easy to use.

8/10

You should have received two small locknuts that go onto that bolt that goes through the cover, and that you attach your thumb screw to.

The locknut is the last thing that goes on before you attach the thumb screw.

As I just said above, I've had min installed all summer long and haven't found an issue with it sliding around yet.

I do agree with the crappy support rod covers though! LOL.....

I have the 2013 Big Horn with Ramboxes using the F1 and I just installed on the weekend the F1 on my brothers 2013 Big Horn without Ramboxes.

I must say that the install for the cover without the Ramboxes only takes about 20 minutes, versus the hours and hours and hours and hours it took to install it on my truck with Ramboxes.......okay maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration there, but it is much easier on the Ram without the boxes.

I looked at several other covers before buying mine, and in the end the F1 looked to be the best.

Give Andrew at Bully's a call and see what deal he can get for you. As I said I got both of mine through him.

Good luck, and be sure to post some pics when you get a chance!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Rep:10
ccarr is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for all the info and opinions. I'll make sure to update you on what I decide to go with. I think I'm going to get my bedliner sprayed in first, then get the cover. Would you guys recommend having them not spray over the drain plugs in the bed or just drill it out once it's sprayed?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7L
Rep:34
woopderson is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You should have received two small locknuts that go onto that bolt that goes through the cover, and that you attach your thumb screw to.

The locknut is the last thing that goes on before you attach the thumb screw.

As I just said above, I've had min installed all summer long and haven't found an issue with it sliding around yet.

I do agree with the crappy support rod covers though! LOL.....

I have the 2013 Big Horn with Ramboxes using the F1 and I just installed on the weekend the F1 on my brothers 2013 Big Horn without Ramboxes.

I must say that the install for the cover without the Ramboxes only takes about 20 minutes, versus the hours and hours and hours and hours it took to install it on my truck with Ramboxes.......okay maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration there, but it is much easier on the Ram without the boxes.

I looked at several other covers before buying mine, and in the end the F1 looked to be the best.

Give Andrew at Bully's a call and see what deal he can get for you. As I said I got both of mine through him.

Good luck, and be sure to post some pics when you get a chance!
It would appear that my kit was missing said lock nuts. Trip to the store for me!
Old 10-16-2013, 02:32 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi 8-speed
Rep:883
RedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to beholdRedSmart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarr View Post
Thanks everyone for all the info and opinions. I'll make sure to update you on what I decide to go with. I think I'm going to get my bedliner sprayed in first, then get the cover. Would you guys recommend having them not spray over the drain plugs in the bed or just drill it out once it's sprayed?
I guess it all depends on how long you want to wait before you get your cover?

I don't think it's a big deal to poke out the holes once they have been covered, I'm just lazy and don't see too much water getting in my bed just yet.

I suppose I could take it to a car wash.....(or is that a truck wash??), and see how the water situation works out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopderson View Post
It would appear that my kit was missing said lock nuts. Trip to the store for me!
LOL......well glad I could help you out then!!

I called it a locknut because of the industry that I am in, but if you go to your local hardware store ask for a lock washer.