DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Black Edition
Trim Level: Tradesman/Express
Color: All Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:70
MurderedOne87 will become famous soon enough

I just replaced my reverse and cargo bulbs with LEDs. I use a seller on EBAY named driveaide

He is an awesome seller.. he owns a shop in CALI and sells LEDS all day. He is very knowledgeable and helps me every chance i get to purchase LEDS. I directly email him and he send me an invoice and when he has a new product than what he is offering on ebay he offers them. He had new samsung LED 921 for the cargo lights and he was right when he said they are bright as hell!!

I had him send me an invoice to my paypal and i got them in two days!

Here is his shop email address.. Hit him up. tell him MIKEDEZZY! sent you from the RAMforumz and he will give you about 15-20% off the ebay price.

John Lee
angelselectronic@yahoo.com

I had a different brand on the left (cuz i wanted to be cheap lol) and the right is the newly placed samsung LEDS i got from driveaide..

Here is a link to his standard CREE Leds but if he has the samsung take them!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7440-High-Po...item231dbffeca

Good luck and happy hunting.. sorry i dont have a pic of my reverse lights.
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2013, 03:33 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
I got the HID lights.

I tested the lights with my 12v power supply and they fired up. Went out to the truck and Installed one side to see what I get and the HID light flashed 3 times, stopped, flashed 3 more times, than got nothing.

I put in the OEM bulb and got nothing, no power in the circuit. Turned off the engine and than restarted. OEM bulb relight. Not enough power to fire the HID ballast. Dam electrical system!

My next attempt will be trying to use power from the 7 pin trailer plug wiring where I have my light bar wired into the reverse light.

This is not going to be plug & play if it works. Will update.

Greg
Ok, HID reverse lights are now installed and working.

I hooked up the HID ballasts to the 7 pin trailer hitch wiring where my IPCW LED Tailgate Light Bar is wired in. I taped into the reverse wire for the light bar. The HID ballasts fired right up. I now have enough power and no hyper-flashing.

I mounted the ballasts to the back inside where the tail lamp goes using a tie wrap and connected the wires with crimp connectors and dielectric grease. (not plug & play). I cut the end off the BA15S power wire and used it to get the power to the ballast. I wrapped the OEM light socket (light bulb removed) in plastic and electrical tape so if I ever need to change it back to the original setup.

Put everything back together and checked the EVIC to see if I had a bulb out warning. No warning, great. Job done.

First picture is with the drivers side 15 watt HID bulb installed. Passenger side is 12 watt OEM incandescent bulb.

Second picture is with both HID bulbs installed. The color of both HID bulbs (6000k) matches the color of my IPCW LED Tailgate Light Bar. The HID bulbs seam to be 2X as bright as the 12 watt reverse bulb.

HID reverse light kit ordered (6000k color bulb) http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HID-R...761205345.html Shipping took 30 days.
I used the T-10 Sheath and the BA15S wire with the brass end cut off. The instructions for the kit were good and easy to follow.

The lights work great at night, really light up the night view on my back-up camera.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01010096_zpsf97c8fe6.jpg (61.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 01010101_zpse502187a.jpg (57.0 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by gcscott; 10-17-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Night lighting.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:48 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Black Edition
Trim Level: Tradesman/Express
Color: All Black
Rep:70
MurderedOne87 will become famous soon enough

Good job!!! looks great.. The LED equipped tail lights are a T15 socket / 7440 bulb size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcscott View Post
Ok, HID reverse lights are now installed and working.

I hooked up the HID ballasts to the 7 pin trailer hitch wiring where my IPCW LED Tailgate Light Bar is wired in. I taped into the reverse wire for the light bar. The HID ballasts fired right up. I now have enough power and no hyper-flashing.

I mounted the ballasts to the back inside where the tail lamp goes using a tie wrap and connected the wires with crimp connectors and dielectric grease. (not plug & play). I cut the end off the BA15S power wire and used it to get the power to the ballast. I wrapped the OEM light socket (light bulb removed) in plastic and electrical tape so if I ever need to change it back to the original setup.

Put everything back together and checked the EVIC to see if I had a bulb out warning. No warning, great. Job done.

First picture is with the drivers side 15 watt HID bulb installed. Passenger side is 12 watt OEM incandescent bulb.

Second picture is with both HID bulbs installed. The color of both HID bulbs (6000k) matches the color of my IPCW LED Tailgate Light Bar. The HID bulbs seam to be 2X as bright as the 12 watt reverse bulb.

HID reverse light kit ordered (6000k color bulb) http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/267685207.html Shipping took 30 days.
I used the T-10 Sheath and the BA15S wire with the brass end cut off. The instructions for the kit were good and easy to follow.

I want to see how it looks at night.

Greg
Old 10-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie
Trim Level: Longhorn Crew Cab
Color: White/Gold
Rep:483
Silvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of light

If the tail lights in my 2013 are already LED, are the backup lights still going to have a standard bulb?

*** US Army Retired - 11B40 - 1964/'85 ***
Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel
Rep:89
Breathing Borla will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercreek View Post
That's one of the reason I've learned not to modify any of the electrical, suspension or mechanical systems on these late models. The benefits may not out weigh the potential issues.
me too bro,

no way I am putting some cheap ass china HID lights and harness, etc in my 50K truck,

no thanks, for those that got the stones to do it, god bless and get're done

2013 Ram Sport Crew 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92, Borla
2010 Tundra 5.7 4x4 Limited TRD (sold)
Old 10-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4 CC
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:83
Bushmaster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If the tail lights in my 2013 are already LED, are the backup lights still going to have a standard bulb?
yes only the tail lights are LED.
Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, EGR Aerowrap bug guard, Trail FX wheel to wheel nerf bars, Huskyliner mudflaps, Weather Tech front floor mats, rear Recon mini lightbar,20% tint front door windows, 5% tint rear door/rear window, Vision X Licence plate mount with 10" Rigid LED lightbar
Old 10-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport CC
Color: Black
Rep:10
AllBlackRam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
me too bro,

no way I am putting some cheap ass china HID lights and harness, etc in my 50K truck,

no thanks, for those that got the stones to do it, god bless and get're done

Hello I am new here but a Friend of mine that owns a Audio & Alarm Security shop installed my HID Reverse Lights same with my fogs and headlights, To get both reverse to work you need a anti Flicker ballast or a ad on anti flicker module to the ballast also take a few sec to get to full brightness a little longer then your headlight and fogs, Most of the Higher End HID Kits I believe come with anti Flicker/ I don't remember the term but a "constant flow of current" hope it helps a bit
Old 10-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie
Trim Level: Longhorn Crew Cab
Color: White/Gold
Rep:483
Silvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a little confused. We're talking about LED backup light bulb right? Are HID bulbs the same as LED bulbs? Just needed a little clarification.

*** US Army Retired - 11B40 - 1964/'85 ***
Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm a little confused. We're talking about LED backup light bulb right? Are HID bulbs the same as LED bulbs? Just needed a little clarification.
The HID's that I installed are not LED and are very bright 15 watt 6000k.

I just had to use the 7 pin reverse power wire (trailer plug wiring behind bumper) to power the ballasts. The standard backup wire in the tail light was not used.

No hot resistors, no bulb out warning, no hyper-flashing, no strain on the Canbus/TPMI system, as with some LED reverse lights, just bright white light from the HID's.

Yea you have to do a little work as it's not plug & play, but it's a MOD. A T-Tap, 10 feet of wire, some tie wraps, and the HID kit is all I needed. As with most of my MOD'S they are outside of the box and I just want something different. JMO

Greg

Last edited by gcscott; 10-19-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:52
ediram will become famous soon enough

Ya i'm just going to try the LED option, just ordered some from eBay with the built in resistors.

You know whats nuts is that all the info shows the premium lights on the ram use a 921 bulb, so i ordered a 921 led pack, pulled the lights, poped out the bulbs and the bloody things are 7440, large base....can someone tell me what the heck is going on... the guy at the performance shop said oem's will do that sometimes and just change the speck but not go back and reprint 10,000 books with the change. Mine truck is a brand new 2013, do any of the guys know if the 2014's show 7440 as a back up bulb, my 13 is a an August build so i'm just wondering if it has some 14 parts in it?