DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Slt
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
tj4ndirish is on a distinguished road
Default Backup camera

Has anyone put in an aftermarket backup camera? If so what kind and how easy of an install? I'm looking at one on eBay that has monitor in the mirror for $53. Yeah, I know, cheap. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I put one in awhile back. It wasn't hard, but it was a pretty major PITA. Here is the thread that I started on it. It's not really a how to though.

I tied into my right reverse light, and I added a fuse just to cover the bases. I tied the camera into that wire, then I ran both the video cable and the power wire up into the, ran the wire underneath my Bed Rug. I did this to keep it out of the way, and to avoid trying to figure out where to run the wires underneath the truck. I've got a hard toneau cover on so it's not really an issue for me. There are holes on each corner of the bed that allow pretty easy access.

I used wire loom at any point where the wires might be passing through somewhere. At the front of the truck I passed 'em down through the hole to get underneath the truck, and found a plastic plug type of thing that leads up into the storage compartment under the rear seat. I have the sub under the passenger side, so once I pulled it out it was pretty easy to access. Anywhere the wires were exposed either passing through somewhere, or out in the open underneath the truck I encased 'em in wire loom. It's just a little piece of mind for myself.

Once I was inside the truck, I worked the wires underneath the carpet and kick plates of both the front and rear doors. I passed the wires up under the dash and then behind the A pillar. The monitor that I purchased (actually the 2nd monitor as the first one was too washed out during the day) had wires and leads that were long enough where I could make all of my connections behind the A pillar to it makes for a fairly clean install.
the monitor in the thread I linked is not the one that I have on now, the first monitor wasn't quite as clean of a look. All in all I've been pleased with the results.

I would make sure that when you order your set up, you also order a video cable that will be long enough to go where you need to go. The ones that come with the kit won't be anywhere near long enough for our trucks.

good luck and yell if I can help

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Thanks Exco for the input. I was wondering if the wires would be long enough.

I hope to do this soon, but will see since we are heading into winter.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:37 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the one I'm looking at getting. I've seen it in action and really like it. Mounts to your license plate bolts. It's wireless and comes with a monitor that mounts to the dash or windshield.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:75
09HemiCrew will become famous soon enough

I installed the oem tailgate handle version along with a lockpick to enable it on the radio. Works great, but maybe not what you're looking for.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
Here's the one I'm looking at getting. I've seen it in action and really like it. Mounts to your license plate bolts. It's wireless and comes with a monitor that mounts to the dash or windshield.
That "kit" has the same camera that I'm using, and it works great. The problem that I had was my original mirror monitor. I've since fixed that issue.

Everything that I've read says to be weary of the wireless systems. They're known to have lots of interference. I wish you luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 10-12-2013, 04:27 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
That "kit" has the same camera that I'm using, and it works great. The problem that I had was my original mirror monitor. I've since fixed that issue.

Everything that I've read says to be weary of the wireless systems. They're known to have lots of interference. I wish you luck

Exco
One of the guys I work with put this in his new piece of bowtie. I'll see how he likes it for a minute before I shell out the denari for it. Use him as a guinea pig.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:48 PM

So I'm still looking and found one that has backup camera, gps and Bluetooth in the mirror. I like this idea, but does the original mirror have the thermometer and compass in it or is that else where? Has anyone replaced the factory mirror? I have what appears to be Dodge's version of on star. Thanks
Old 10-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Old & glad of it.

Vehicle: 2006 RAM 3500; 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black 2 tone grey
Rep:48
rsg1963 is on a distinguished road

My 2010 1500 has the factory unit, but I added the licence plate frame type to the Alpine in my 3500 years ago and it's been going strong. Even under water multiple times a year (launching jetskiis). Was inexpensive and easy to install (but that is assuming you have a Monitor/NAV screen to connect to.) Sorry, I do not remember the name, but if you really need it I can find it. I'm guessing Google would be just slightly faster.

RAM Pickup: 2010 1500 Laramie Hemi: Magtec Rear Diff cover/AmsOil 75w-110 Syn, 24" Magnaflow, Resonator delete, Line-X; Bilstein shocks with leveling kit 2.75";305/60-20 GY Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grades; Lift Air Bag Suspension;
RAM Truck: 2006 3500 ST Cummins:Line-X; Leveling Kit 2" with Edelbrock shocks; Ultra Custom rims w/ 265/70-17 Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade; Backup Camera/NAV/DVD video/Reese 24K 5th wheel hitch; RDS 51 Gal tank/toolbox; Banks:CAI, MonsterRam 3.5",Monster Exhaust;Pac Brake Prxb.