DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ksn240 is on a distinguished road
Default Help converting from chrome to painted front bumper

I recently bought a new 13 Ram Lone Star because it had all the features I wanted, but I really dislike the chrome bumpers and want them painted to match. I know chrome is a pita to paint and would rather buy some to replace them and sell them after.

The front bumper on mine has a painted piece just at the top and then the rest of the bumper chrome, and has the fog holes

I like the Sport bumper but could settle for the Express bumper. I've been doing some research before I bought one and it looks like the entire assembly is different for the Sport front bumper. Is the express the same way seeing as it is still one solid piece as opposed to my muliti-piece chrome bumper. It's starting to look like I'll have to buy the lower part of the bumper off of a TRX or Outdoorsman and paint it to match or just sandblast my own. So is the Express bumper going to be the same way as the Sport or will the Express be a direct replacement without any other modifications?
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2013, 01:42 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

The Sport bumper will not work on yours without some modifications. The Express bumper will be a direct replacement. But try this, why don't you plasti-dip the bumpers and see how you like it. It'll only cost you about $20 and an hour or two of time. If you don't like it, you can peel it off.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks, glad to know the express bumper will fit directly. I actually have a few cans of plastidip sitting in the garage just haven't had the time to do it yet. I'll do it soon just for now, but would rather have it the gloss oem black to match.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red Pearl Tricoat
JP735 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
The Sport bumper will not work on yours without some modifications. The Express bumper will be a direct replacement. But try this, why don't you plasti-dip the bumpers and see how you like it. It'll only cost you about $20 and an hour or two of time. If you don't like it, you can peel it off.

This is exactly what I did. I plasti-diped my bumpers, grill, emblems, and wheels so I could see how I would like the blacked-out look. Low cost and effort. Plus, after about 6 months the coating is holding up suprisingly well...
Old 10-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP735 View Post
This is exactly what I did. I plasti-diped my bumpers, grill, emblems, and wheels so I could see how I would like the blacked-out look. Low cost and effort. Plus, after about 6 months the coating is holding up suprisingly well...
That was the one thing I was leary of. I was curious to see how well it would hold up over time, especially the wheels and bumper. I guess it's pretty good stuff as long as it's done right. As much as I disliked the chrome to begin with, it's slowly starting to grow on me, especially now that I debadged it. Contemplating leaving the rest as is and just getting the black wheels.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red Pearl Tricoat
JP735 is on a distinguished road

Hey, either way these trucks look good!
Biggest thing with the plastidip is clean surface and multiple coats so you get a good thick coating. Later it peels off easily in one big piece. If its thin its much harder to get off...
The wheels developed nicks in the coating the quickest and started peeling at the edges in a couple of places but I think it was because I didn't get a good coat on em...