DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab 149" WB
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Monotone Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Catmaster is on a distinguished road
Default Touchless Car Wash Questions

Hi everyone, new the the forum with a question for the members. I am a new owner of a 2014 Laramie monotone black. I have not washed my Ram myself yet but have found a few swirl marks left from the dealer. (Not very happy about this) Since this is my first black vehicle not sure how to handle proper washing as not to add to the swirls.

My main question is if I can ues the local touchless car wash with a Mopar air deflector and aftermarket tonneau cover installed?. I think the only issue could be the force of the air dryers upon exit which can be minimized by exiting quickly. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:59
12sport will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmaster View Post
Hi everyone, new the the forum with a question for the members. I am a new owner of a 2014 Laramie monotone black. I have not washed my Ram myself yet but have found a few swirl marks left from the dealer. (Not very happy about this) Since this is my first black vehicle not sure how to handle proper washing as not to add to the swirls.

My main question is if I can ues the local touchless car wash with a Mopar air deflector and aftermarket tonneau cover installed?. I think the only issue could be the force of the air dryers upon exit which can be minimized by exiting quickly. Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I use the high pressure touchless washes frequently. Never had an issue with accessories (hood/sunfoof/vent visor) blowing off.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

I've gone though our local touchless (an Esso Station) and have not had any issues. Not as good as washing myself but better than running dirty. I have a bug deflector as well as a hard tonneau cover and my truck is black
Old 10-25-2013, 06:16 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:365
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

I think you will be ok with the air blower. The only time you will get swirl marks is when you touch your paint--LOL. I would NEVER let a dealer touch the painted surface of my truck. You will probably need to use a buffer to get the swirls out. Once you have a good sealant and good coat of wax on your truck you shouldn't have to worry about any water left on the surface after the air blower gets done. IMHO I can't really believe that some of the stuff they spray on your truck at a car wash can be very good for the paint, but maybe it's just me. I always hand wash my truck but I know others can't do that for various reasons.
Jay
Old 10-25-2013, 07:33 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Swirls are a fact of life, especially on dark colors.

TO minimize them, clay, polish, glaze, wax, seal 2x a year. My black truck is swirl free. I wash it once a week or so, using 2 buckets, and a microfiber wash mitt. NOTHING THAT ISNT MICROFIBER EVER TOUCHES MY PAINT EXCEPT FOAM PADS FOR MY POLISHER!!!!

Most of all, when washing, never ever ever rub the soapy water in a circle. If you have a pressure washer, use that prior to washing.

if you have to use a car wash, use a touchless. If you have a SOFT roll-up or tri-fold bed cover, then even touchless car washes are no beuno. The soaps have chemicals that ruin the materials.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

all good advice here!
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab 149" WB
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Monotone Black
Rep:10
Catmaster is on a distinguished road

Thanks gentleman, I will use all of this advice to protect my Ram's awesome black paint. I can see how the touchless carwash chemicals could be a little harsh and I do have a soft tri-fold tonneau cover that I would like for it to last.

I just need to learn how to buff paint to remove the horrible swirls.. Or find a good body shop that won't break the bank. Anyone know the average cost?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:22 PM

Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

A complete exterior detail can cost upward of $400-$500. You probably would be better off buying the proper equipment and learn how to use it and DIY. Read the information in this section by Primo and Luke, they contain all the information that you will need about equipment, products and techniques.
Jay
Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:1074
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

Bollocks to that. I would take it back to the dealer and get your sales guy to get the truck fixed. Don't go in super pissed but mad enough to show them you expect it fixed..
Old 10-28-2013, 01:47 PM

You have a lot more faith in dealer detailers than most other people. Usually they do much more harm than good and it takes some serious correction to repair what they do. I wouldn't let a dealer touch the paint on my truck and would advise you to do the same!
Jay