DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
csarkis7 is on a distinguished road
Default Did some towing yesterday.

Pulled our pontoon boat out for the season yesterday and finally got to tow with my Ram. I have the Hemi and 3.55 LS. Towed very good except for a vibration coming from low psi in two trailer tires. I got about 9 mpg and the trip took bout an hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (134.3 KB, 161 views)
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 8sp
Trim Level: BigHorn. RamBox
Color: Black
Rep:210
OldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura aboutOldJoe has a spectacular aura about

That's a pretty healthy sized pontoon boat, but I wonder how much the the trailer tires affected your mileage?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
csarkis7 is on a distinguished road

I am sure it didn't help. I was still able to maintain a cruise speed of 65mph. There was a steady rain the entire trip also.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJoe View Post
That's a pretty healthy sized pontoon boat, but I wonder how much the the trailer tires affected your mileage?
Wondering the same thing. Good to hear you had a good experience towing.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Out of curiosity, which transmission do you have?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: True Blue Peal/Mineral Gray
Rep:92
dawoodsman will become famous soon enough

For comparsion purposes, I did the same thing--towed a boat to storage for the winter--w/my new 13 Ram a few weeks ago. This was an 18 foot aluminum boat with a cover on a decent trailer.

Conditions could not have been worse--very windy with gusts into the 30's and rain the whole time, most of it strong enough the wipers had to be on full.

I didn't refill to do it the old fashioned way (I have learned this is a must for accurate readings as the computer is not that accurate) but the computed estimate of MPG I got was between 11 and 12 in my hemi/8speed w/3.92's. About 1/2 the trip I was running around 60 mph and the other half 65-70.

I would have liked a bit more than that--my much older chevy ran a few mpg better towing the same boat. Conditions were lousy though, and I did alternate between tow mode on and off a bit to see how the computer instant mileage estimate might change. As well as engine speed. I also tried the top gear limit.

In the end, I think had it not been windy w/rain I could have gotten by just fine without tow mode, which seemed to decrease MPG a bit--and at highway speeds, run the engine tach up about 2-500 rpm. Sure wish these trucks had some readout of which gear you were in!

The top gear limit was neat, not sure I'll have much need for it given the driving I usually do though. If I lived in hilly mountainous country though I could see it being a pretty nice feature.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:08 PM

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:99
lbram81 will become famous soon enough

Also keep in mind you didn't exactly tow the most aerodynamic setup either. I would say between that and low psi on trailer you did well.

Taylor Swift IS NOT a country singer!
Old 10-20-2013, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawoodsman View Post
For comparsion purposes, I did the same thing--towed a boat to storage for the winter--w/my new 13 Ram a few weeks ago. This was an 18 foot aluminum boat with a cover on a decent trailer.

Conditions could not have been worse--very windy with gusts into the 30's and rain the whole time, most of it strong enough the wipers had to be on full.

I didn't refill to do it the old fashioned way (I have learned this is a must for accurate readings as the computer is not that accurate) but the computed estimate of MPG I got was between 11 and 12 in my hemi/8speed w/3.92's. About 1/2 the trip I was running around 60 mph and the other half 65-70.

I would have liked a bit more than that--my much older chevy ran a few mpg better towing the same boat. Conditions were lousy though, and I did alternate between tow mode on and off a bit to see how the computer instant mileage estimate might change. As well as engine speed. I also tried the top gear limit.

In the end, I think had it not been windy w/rain I could have gotten by just fine without tow mode, which seemed to decrease MPG a bit--and at highway speeds, run the engine tach up about 2-500 rpm. Sure wish these trucks had some readout of which gear you were in!

The top gear limit was neat, not sure I'll have much need for it given the driving I usually do though. If I lived in hilly mountainous country though I could see it being a pretty nice feature.
Very good detailed experience but I bet your Chevy didn't have 20" wheels mated to 33" tires either. That kind of mileage is identical to my 545/65RFE when towing in bad weather. It's still better than my 2006 Titan with 6inch lift and 35" tires towing a 6000lb Party Barge which averaged 8-9mpg.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

I towed my boat once this year but it was only 11 km's (7 miles) so I have no idea on mileage etc but I will say, it did tow it better than what my previous 09 Sierra with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears did. (Ram is 6 sp with 3.55)

Also, last week-end, I pulled home a steel utility trailer with my dock tops from our trailer. Total weight was probably around 1500 lbs give or take? (I had other gear, 2 batteries, tools, clothes, water, chain saw etc) and what I noticed right away was how easy it towed that.

One way is about 123 km's with lots of hills etc thrown it and what I noticed most was the truck didn't labor going up those hills, it maintained a pretty constant speed and there was never a need to punch it down like I would have had to do with my 09 Sierra.

My mileage when I got home said I was average 14.2L/100 km's, which isn't great, but that is also better than what my 09 Sierra would have got.

I love this truck the more I drive it, been great so far and is really starting to loosen up in the giddy up and go dept.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram
Trim Level: express
Color: red
vonshep is on a distinguished road

tow a pontoon boat every weekend all summer never a problem I get about 10 mpg but there is little difference between a pontoon boat and a 2500lb parachute