DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge RAM pickup
Trim Level: Big Horn - Pkg 26Z
Color: Blue Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
Jackdashack is on a distinguished road

I see a short road trip in my future with my cell phone. Say a prayer I don't kill myself. LOL Well I know it's not necessary but for future conversations and even this one I've got to have a photo of that 25/26. Be a tight fit I think steering with one and pointing the cell at the cluster but I think I can do it. I have plenty of long rural roads around here, safe.

I'm back and still alive after that project. I used the Xoom tablet not the phone. Some were blurry for sure but these are the best 3 shots.

You all know to click on them to enlarge them. You can see the ECO light on the 3rd image. The average I get is not that good yet. I said before most of my travel is in the small town I live in. Off the clock now about everything I need is here, so I don't go up the highway often where I get the best mpg. ":-\\

1st one 58MPH and 25mpg
2nd one 60MPH and 23mpg
3rd one 49MPH and 27mpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131023_124428_sm.jpg (54.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131023_125303_sm.jpg (51.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131023_125514_sm.jpg (100.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Jackdashack; 10-23-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Rep:264
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

I've found the current MPG display in the EVIC is pretty much worthless. The current average is pretty useful though. My current MPG can range from 5 MPG when I'm accelerating to 99 MPG when I'm going down hill and off the gas. The green bar responds directly in proportion to the amount of pressure I put on the gas pedal.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

These shots were taken with the cruise on, level roads, which if you were ever on Delmarva are pretty much flat. Somewhere in our prehistoric past we were covered with water and pretty much washed flat. So my foot was not working the throttle, the engine was.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie
Trim Level: Longhorn Crew Cab
Color: White/Gold
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:487
Silvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of light

The "Proof of The Pudding" is going to be when you put the real number to it with a calculator from one fill-up to the next after a long trip. Lets wait and see what that says.

*** US Army Retired - 11B40 - 1964/'85 ***
Old 10-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

That will have to wait. I have no long trips planned in the near future. lol
Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I can take everything into consideration here. In condensing it, it seems most are willing to believe the low stats they get on the EVIC but not the high stats. Okay. Then the composite average mpg others say is accurate but not when it shows a good figure in real time. But it's all part of the same system. What you see real time mpg is being fed into the computer as part of that average. Believe it, there's not a separate computing for each, they work in unison. If I'm getting bad averages around town, which I do, I believe that. If it's doing well on the top end I'll believe that too for now. I have noticed on short trips when I go 20 miles up the road, this was several weeks ago, I was getting 21mpg with a few starts and stops in the average indication. Most owners say it gets better with time. But that 21 figure was in the average mpg stat that most trust. I was happy with 21mpg. Still yet another here said and I quote:
===========================================
Originally Posted by Ramzaq View Post
It is not impossible for a Hemi to reach a reading of 25 mpg while traveling at highway speeds. With my '09 4x4 I can average right at 20 while doing 70 mph and it will hit 21 if it is just around 63 mph. Conditions have to be right, no wind and basically flat, (easy in CA) and keeping it in "Fuel Saver" (Eco) mode.

I have seen my friends '13, 4wd Hemi, 8 speed reach 25 highway so it is not impossible. Thing is it had 2k miles so it may even get a little better as it breaks in. Much of this is about driving style also it also has 3.21 rear. These are hand calculations.
===========================================

So it's not impossible, others have seen it. I sure wasn't trying to start a debate here, I thought what I was seeing was everyone's experience. So okay, there's a chance I'll be disappointed. Only having a month I want to believe all the good things. Mr. Ramzaq is a Senior Member, we are new with RAMS, only a month. I'd like to believe his theory on it until proven otherwise. And I notice he said his friends 2013 is getting 25mpg. As a senior member if he takes it as good, then I will too for now.

When and if I get to take a longer trip after it's broke in a bit more I'll be honest and report accurate, that you can be sure. G'day! Jack ":-D

Last edited by Jackdashack; 10-23-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 PM

Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

I'm not doubting that you can achieve 25 mpg at a steady speed on flat road. I'm just saying that the instantaneous mpg is meaningless since you have to accelerate to get up to speed. You can get an average for any trip, but obviously the longer it is, the better. Just reset your Trip B when you fill up or leave your home. Check the average when you get to your destination. I've done that. I had a few stops before I got on the freeway, about 15 miles of freeway and then a few more stops between getting off the freeway and my destination. I averaged 17.8. The stopping kills the average. Mine seems to get the best mileage between 45 and 60 but the only times I see those speeds are around town in stop and go traffic.

The most accurate method to determine your average mpg will likely be by hand calculating. You will likely find your calculations will be 0.5 to 1.5 lower than your EVICs.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks Explorer Rob: I said this above, which is your suggestion, I just was not that clear about it.

"" I have noticed on short trips when I go 20 miles up the road, this was several weeks ago, I was getting 21mpg with a few starts and stops in the average indication. "" ( as opposed to the live guage of mpg )

As you mentioned I did that on short trips a few weeks ago and was getting 21mpg by resetting and checking the average rather than the sec by sec guage.

Hopefully at only 535 miles on the odometer I might look forward to a bit better when broke in. On another post guys said around 10K they seem to be broke in.

I've had it with this post. Thanks for all the great input! G'day! Jack
Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 4x4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:100
CharlieL will become famous soon enoughCharlieL will become famous soon enough

The way it looks to me, the instant MPG is fun to watch & provides some insight into how heavy my foot is. The overall Average MPG seems to be an average of about the last 125 or so miles driven; definitely not since 0, or the last reset after a while.

The trip indicator seems to provide fairly accurate info, from what I can see. Today I took a 125 mile round trip from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, NM. The trip was mostly interstate (with lots of hills), I begrudgingly maintained the 75 mph speed limit on cruise & averaged 18.5 mpg over the trip per the trip indicator. My truck is a six-speed, 3.92 rear, with 10,500 miles. I'm very pleased with getting 18.5 on the highway & never expected 20+ mpg overall. Of course, I do enjoy seeing 99 mpg instant while doing 75 going down a big hill!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 AM

Yeah, I found 75 MPH to cause a big hit on my MPG on my trip from California to Arizona where the interstate speed limit was 75 MPH. I set my cruise on 75 and my average on that trip was 17.2 MPG. I only had about 2000 miles on my Ram at the time. I now have just over 5100 miles and it does seem that my mileage is going up. I haven't made any road trips in the last few months but it does seem like it has gone up. My 3.92 equipped hemi/8-speed Longhorn is probably about as heavy of a 1500 that Ram has ever made. A trip to the dump had my weight around 5950 lbs.