DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Should I keep the new grill or send it back?
Keep the new grill, it goes good with the rest of the mods. 8 50.00%
Save your money - the stock Laramie grill looks great. 2 12.50%
Neither. Take the advice in my post below. 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:531
Flatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of light
Default Got a dilemma and need some help from the "Z"

Ok, I've taken delivery of my 2014 Quad Cab and have started in on the mods which you can see on my mod thread:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=159116

Right now I have a decision I have to make regarding the grill and need help from the general population here. My truck is a Laramie so it came of course with the Laramie grill. However, I have added some black to the truck in the form of LineX and custom wheels and then the Laramie grill seemed out of place. So I ordered some different grill inserts but I'm on the fence about whether to keep them or look for something different.

Here's a couple of pics of the new grill and a pic of the truck with the stock Laramie grill. So c'mon "Z", help me decide! I'm leaning toward keeping the new grill. Although I like the Laramie grill better, I think the new one looks better with the truck, but what bothers me is at a distance, it doesn't look like there is anything there at all and kinda plain. What do you think?

I know it's a wonderful blessing to have such problems, but still need to make a decision. Thanks!

2014 Laramie QC 4x4, tan interior, 3.92's, sport hood, customized Moto Metal wheels & AT tires, LineX bed, rockers and fender flares, K&N Filter, cabin filter, "black ice" grill inserts, Putco bed rails, RollBac tonneau cover, LED bed lights, Mufflex 14" with Mufflex resonator and stock resonators, Moroso catch can and a "matching" 2008 special edition "Will Cooksey" Z06 - #139 of 505.
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2013, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2826
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

1,2,3,4,5.. 5 garage doors.. wow.. I wish I had 5 garage doors...

With the black theme you are going with, why not just black out the whole grill and also the bumpers?.. Would look good with what you have done so far.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:35 PM

Vehicle: 2009
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat
Rep:68
Detroit3000 will become famous soon enough

I've always been a fan of the cheese grader grill, but the new one looks nice. Is that the grill insert that's on the cover of the ram mopar booklet thing you pick up from the dealership?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 1500
Trim Level: 1500
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:387
MOP4RN4TION is just really niceMOP4RN4TION is just really niceMOP4RN4TION is just really niceMOP4RN4TION is just really nice

FWIW id black the bumpers, to carry that line you established on the sides. The bumper could stay chrome for a decent contrast, and it carries off the chrome hood louvre inserts. Maybe you could go with black grill inserts, but leave the surround chrome
Old 12-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:1049
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOP4RN4TION View Post
FWIW id black the bumpers, to carry that line you established on the sides. The bumper could stay chrome for a decent contrast, and it carries off the chrome hood louvre inserts. Maybe you could go with black grill inserts, but leave the surround chrome
I have to agree with this keep the black inserts and chrome surrounds then coat the bumper black it will tie the scheme better around the whole truck IMHO
Old 12-03-2013, 10:17 PM

Flatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of light

Ok guys, I think that might be a great idea. So if I do that, I should do the rear bumper too? I wonder how well this stuff adheres to chrome. I will make a call in the morning.

2014 Laramie QC 4x4, tan interior, 3.92's, sport hood, customized Moto Metal wheels & AT tires, LineX bed, rockers and fender flares, K&N Filter, cabin filter, "black ice" grill inserts, Putco bed rails, RollBac tonneau cover, LED bed lights, Mufflex 14" with Mufflex resonator and stock resonators, Moroso catch can and a "matching" 2008 special edition "Will Cooksey" Z06 - #139 of 505.

Last edited by Flatlandor; 12-03-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 PM

Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandor View Post
Ok guys, I think that might be a great idea. So if I do that, I should do the rear bumper too? I wonder how well this stuff adheres to chrome. I will make a call in the morning.
Plenty of people have done their bumpers before, all seem to be pretty good. I would say do the back bumper too, so the whole theme is complete. Can't wait to hear the plan.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:44 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:722
macc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to behold

IMO, i think either black everything out, ie bumper, whole grille, door handles, mirrors, or leave it chrome.

I personally am not a fan of chrome, but on these laramies, it looks great... so its a tough decision... but considering that you have already done the line-x, id go the black-out route.. again, thats just my opinion.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 AM

Ok so if I LineX the bumper, what do I do about the sensors? I would have all the small shiny circles in the middle of it...

Old 12-04-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandor View Post
Ok so if I LineX the bumper, what do I do about the sensors? I would have all the small shiny circles in the middle of it...
Hm crap didn't think that one through, am not used to thinking about sensors as I forget higher end trucks have these. I wonder if the sensors could be painted? or would it just throw everything off.