DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 cc 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:24
finn5033 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
I would probably go with a +12 offset wheel if they make it in the wheel you want. That should put you fairly flush with the flares.

DAA is running 275/60/20's on his stock 20x9 rims. He doesn't have a picture showing exactly how far his tires stick out but here's his thread with a few other pictures - http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=151853&page=2. I would post up in there asking him to get a shot down the side of the truck showing how far his tires are tucked under. That will give you a good idea.
Great, thanks for the help
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 5.7 4x4 MegaCab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Cale is on a distinguished road

To save me from typing a long post and upload pics again, Ill post a link to a question I asked last night in another post. Thanks! The reason I am asking, since techniacally I dont rub at this moment, is for when I purchase a new set of tires which will be pretty soon. Im down to 6/32 and when I purchase new tires Im afraid they will rub do to the extra tread of a new tire. I will most likely go with a set of Trail Grapplers.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=165192

(looked on the back today, my wheels are a -12mm 18x10)

Last edited by Cale; 01-30-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
omarimoe is on a distinguished road

i have a few questions as im new to the dodge trucks. i have a 97 1500 slt Laramie that i picked up a few weeks ago as a secondary work truck/occasional daily driver. it currently has some LT265/75/16's on a set of american racing wheels. im looking to get a new set of tires because the ones that are on it kinda suck in the snow and with being in New England thats a no go for me. the thread on them also seems really skinny to me. i was wondering what is the biggest tire i can fit on the truck with little to no modification? also how wide a tire i can fit? i believe the truck currently has either a leveling kit or bigger springs because the front end actually sits a tad higher than the rear. thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:02 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

In 1997 your truck came with 3 factory equiped tire sizes.

225/75-16
245/75-16
265/75R16

If you truck does indeed have a level kit on it you could go up another size or so. I would not run anything over a 12.5" wide tire and that is if you have the proper offset rims. Do you happen to know what the offset is on your rim? This decides what the widest tire you can run is or helps decide anyway.

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
omarimoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully's Performance View Post
In 1997 your truck came with 3 factory equiped tire sizes.

225/75-16
245/75-16
265/75R16

If you truck does indeed have a level kit on it you could go up another size or so. I would not run anything over a 12.5" wide tire and that is if you have the proper offset rims. Do you happen to know what the offset is on your rim? This decides what the widest tire you can run is or helps decide anyway.
Not sure on the offset. The rims are not marked on the outside, I assume I would have to dismount one of the tires and check the inner bead on the rim.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
KYBIGRED is on a distinguished road

Hey guys! Any chance someone could give me some help on offset needed for a new wheel? I have a 2004 QC 4X4 that I just put new
tires on today - 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs. This past week I also had to install a new half shaft and added new shocks - Monroe reflex with 2" longer in the front. However, I am now rubbing (not really bad) with the new Duratracs on the inside of the fender wheel even after some trimming. The tires that were replaced were 315/70/17 BF Goodrich AT KO. I really cannot do a lift at the moment, but could do new wheels with a different offset if it would help with the problem. My torsion bars are cranked now and I am currently running a Gear Alloy 714C (possibly +10mm?) but do not know the offset and cannot find it. I have fender flares as well. Do I need a 0 offset wheel or something like a -6? Thanks in advance for any help provided!

Old 02-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBIGRED View Post
Hey guys! Any chance someone could give me some help on offset needed for a new wheel? I have a 2004 QC 4X4 that I just put new
tires on today - 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs. This past week I also had to install a new half shaft and added new shocks - Monroe reflex with 2" longer in the front. However, I am now rubbing (not really bad) with the new Duratracs on the inside of the fender wheel even after some trimming. The tires that were replaced were 315/70/17 BF Goodrich AT KO. I really cannot do a lift at the moment, but could do new wheels with a different offset if it would help with the problem. My torsion bars are cranked now and I am currently running a Gear Alloy 714C (possibly +10mm?) but do not know the offset and cannot find it. I have fender flares as well. Do I need a 0 offset wheel or something like a -6? Thanks in advance for any help provided!
Honestly, without knowing the offset or rim width you have now it's almost impossible to tell you what you need.

From your post I'm assuming you're rubbing on either the front or back of the inner fender with the outside of your tire correct? If that's the case you need a more positive offset, not negative. But then you also need to check how much clearance you have between your tire and the suspension now to make sure you can go with a more positive offset. But again, we can't tell you what's going to fix your problem without knowing what's causing the problem.... so we need some specs.

The offset of the wheel should be stamped on the backside of one of the spokes. So take a look there first. Otherwise you're going to need to do some measuring. We need the rim width also so you might as well measure that at the same time. Measure from the outer lip of the wheel to the inner lip of the wheel and round down to the nearest inch or half inch. To find out the backspacing you need to put a flat edge along the backside of the rim. It can only be touching the rim, not the tire otherwise you aren't getting the right measurement. Once you have it along the backside of the rim measure the distance from that flat edge to the mounting surface of the wheel. That's your backspacing and we can determine your offset based on the rim width and backspacing.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 02-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well, I had bought the wheels second hand and have had them for a while. However, I just was able to get in touch with someone from Gear Alloy regarding my wheel - it is 17x9 with a 5.39 BS and a +10 offset. As far as where it rubs - it is only on right hand turns and you are correct - it rubs on the inside of the back of the passenger front fender.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1969
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Have you had your alignment checked lately? If it's just slightly rubbing (especially on that side) it could be that your alignment is out a bit. Having that fixed could solve your rubbing issue. However if you want new rims a more positive offset is what you need to get rid of that problem. How much room do you have between the inside of your tire and the suspension now?

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 02-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Have you had your alignment checked lately? If it's just slightly rubbing (especially on that side) it could be that your alignment is out a bit. Having that fixed could solve your rubbing issue. However if you want new rims a more positive offset is what you need to get rid of that problem. How much room do you have between the inside of your tire and the suspension now?
Haven't had the alignment checked lately, but my old tires were wearing fine and I had one done when I initially put the wheels on and raised the TB's. Would have been around 8k miles ago or so. Wouldn't the more positive offset draw the wheel more into the wheel well? I think the difference between the BFG AT and the Duratrac rubbing is the difference in aggressiveness of the tread. Know of any others that are running the Duratrac in that size? Would love to purchase a new set of black wheels if I can get most of the rub out with a new offset. I do prefer for the wheels not to stick out much however if possible - the tires at the outer edge of the fender flare is ok though.