DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-16-2014, 12:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Trx4
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: INFERNO RED/GRAY
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
seppie10 is on a distinguished road

I have about 6 inches to play with on my stock truck to fit into the garage. I will be adding the blistens up front and rear and either run 2.1 or 2.8 up front. My question to you is I would like to run level to the outside of my fender flare which is stock on a trx 4 package. What would u recommend for this type of wheel and tire size package? I am having a hard time figuring to go with a black wheel or chrome. I do have chrome step tubes and colored gray bumpers and black bug shield and window vents. I really enjoyed the the pics of the orange truck with the black wheels on It but he had the 2.5 kit on it. I hope I didn't make this difficult for you lol. I also liked the white ram with the blistens on it and chrome wheels and size 35's on 20 wheels but I don't what to go with 20's as far as cost's goes. Thank you and hope you can give a lil advice
seppie
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2014, 05:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
2005DodgeRamHemi is on a distinguished road

I have an 05 1500 and I want to put on larger tires and wheels that stick out just a little bit... perhaps an inch. Would that mean that I need a 4.5" backspace? I saw somewhere the stock wheels were 5.5" backspace - but I'm not sure.... so I want to find a wheel that will stick out an inch or so, and put the largest tire on without rubbing. I don't want to mess with lifting it... any advice?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1804
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005DodgeRamHemi View Post
I have an 05 1500 and I want to put on larger tires and wheels that stick out just a little bit... perhaps an inch. Would that mean that I need a 4.5" backspace? I saw somewhere the stock wheels were 5.5" backspace - but I'm not sure.... so I want to find a wheel that will stick out an inch or so, and put the largest tire on without rubbing. I don't want to mess with lifting it... any advice?
You'll want a 9" wide rim with a 0 or +1 offset

click here ---> Got Factory Air Suspension? - Want to Lift or Lower? <---click here

sales@bullysperformance.com

Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Miouo is on a distinguished road

Couple questions:
What type of mileage difference, if any, do you think I'll see between GY Duratracs and a GY Silent Armour or GY All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar?
I do mainly city driving, highway on weekends, and with my work position changing now, less and less off-road. Our winters can be a nightmare, so I want good winter rating also. As you can tell, I may be moving away from a more aggressive tire (although I will miss the look).

What tire do you recommend (stock: 275/60R20)?

Last edited by Miouo; 03-21-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
BlueRam2014 is on a distinguished road

What is the best way to clean and maintain the shine on my 2014 RAM Chrome Clad 20" wheels? What products should I wash them with to avoid scratching or dulling them and then what products are best to keep them polished up?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
817moto is on a distinguished road

Hi, new to the forum and looking for some advice or guidance. I drive a 2002 ram 1500 QC 4x4 sport. I plan on going with a rough country 5" lift and need advice regarding rims and tires.*

I'm pretty much set on moto metal 961 rims going down from my stock 20's to 18's. I want to get the deep look of the rims and if I am correct I want a negative offset. The 18's are 18x10 for -24 offset and +18 for 18x9. Tires wise I'm looking at either 35" or 37".

My concern is with 37's similar to the person asking on page 5 of this thread, is my gearing going to need changing to compensate for the heavier 37" tires?if I go with 35's are they going to look weird?*
Obviously I want it to look good and sticking out past flush is welcomed. With the bigger tires I know it will stick out more but they aren't a whole lot more money than the smaller choice. Can anyone give me suggestions as to the lightest 37's as I have a 5.9v8 and the fuel mileage is already bad enough lol.

My other concern is with a 5" lift will the large negative offset cause rubbing with 37's? I know they will have no problem with the suspension but the body becomes a factor when they are pushed out that much. *

When I'm looking for 37" m/t tires online, All I can really find are trail grapplers, mud grapplers and open country. I did see fuel makes tires as well but would rather use a more reputable brand that specializes in tires. I know the toyo's are ultra heavy so I would rather not unless someone can assure me my gearing is ok (I just had a complete tranny rebuild and would rather not have to do it again. My wallet would apprecite it).

Should I go with The 35" tires wil be Cooper discoverer stt as they are pretty light, decent reviews and made in the USA.*

I would obviously like to have some that last a long time. Truck is my daily but I do enjoy playing in the mud. But I would say prolly 75/25 split of on road and off road. *
If someone can help me I would greatly apprecite it. After reading all of the pages in this thread, I apologize for the lengthy post but I found very little with regards to my questions. I notice Brandon seems to know his stuff extreamly well and hopefully he can help me out as well as he did everyone else. *

Thanks. **
Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:2051
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miouo View Post
Couple questions:
What type of mileage difference, if any, do you think I'll see between GY Duratracs and a GY Silent Armour or GY All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar?
I do mainly city driving, highway on weekends, and with my work position changing now, less and less off-road. Our winters can be a nightmare, so I want good winter rating also. As you can tell, I may be moving away from a more aggressive tire (although I will miss the look).

What tire do you recommend (stock: 275/60R20)?
Tire size and weight will affect your mileage the most. Once you get into All Terrain tires they are typically heavier so you will notice a bit of a loss. But without knowing the size you're wanting to go with it's hard to give you any estimate of loss. It shouldn't be anymore than 1 mpg if you're sticking with a close to stock size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRam2014 View Post
What is the best way to clean and maintain the shine on my 2014 RAM Chrome Clad 20" wheels? What products should I wash them with to avoid scratching or dulling them and then what products are best to keep them polished up?
You're better off asking that question in the washing and waxing section of the forum HERE. Although I'm sure the subject has been covered many times so if you just browse through that section or use the search function on the forum you'll find what you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 817moto View Post
Hi, new to the forum and looking for some advice or guidance. I drive a 2002 ram 1500 QC 4x4 sport. I plan on going with a rough country 5" lift and need advice regarding rims and tires.*

I'm pretty much set on moto metal 961 rims going down from my stock 20's to 18's. I want to get the deep look of the rims and if I am correct I want a negative offset. The 18's are 18x10 for -24 offset and +18 for 18x9. Tires wise I'm looking at either 35" or 37".

My concern is with 37's similar to the person asking on page 5 of this thread, is my gearing going to need changing to compensate for the heavier 37" tires?if I go with 35's are they going to look weird?*
Obviously I want it to look good and sticking out past flush is welcomed. With the bigger tires I know it will stick out more but they aren't a whole lot more money than the smaller choice. Can anyone give me suggestions as to the lightest 37's as I have a 5.9v8 and the fuel mileage is already bad enough lol.

My other concern is with a 5" lift will the large negative offset cause rubbing with 37's? I know they will have no problem with the suspension but the body becomes a factor when they are pushed out that much. *

When I'm looking for 37" m/t tires online, All I can really find are trail grapplers, mud grapplers and open country. I did see fuel makes tires as well but would rather use a more reputable brand that specializes in tires. I know the toyo's are ultra heavy so I would rather not unless someone can assure me my gearing is ok (I just had a complete tranny rebuild and would rather not have to do it again. My wallet would apprecite it).

Should I go with The 35" tires wil be Cooper discoverer stt as they are pretty light, decent reviews and made in the USA.*

I would obviously like to have some that last a long time. Truck is my daily but I do enjoy playing in the mud. But I would say prolly 75/25 split of on road and off road. *
If someone can help me I would greatly apprecite it. After reading all of the pages in this thread, I apologize for the lengthy post but I found very little with regards to my questions. I notice Brandon seems to know his stuff extreamly well and hopefully he can help me out as well as he did everyone else. *

Thanks. **
For a deeper rim you'll want an 18x10 for sure. The negative offset only pushes the rim out further, it doesn't actually make the lip any deeper (on most wheels at least). Only the width of the wheel changes the depth of the lip.

I'm not quite as knowledgable with the 2nd gen stuff as I am with the 3rd and 4th gen stuff so I honestly can't give you an exact answer about running 37's and if they'll rub. With only 5" of lift and a 18x10 -24 offset rim my gut tells me they would.... however I do know that the 2nd gens do sit a bit higher. So it may be possible. I know on a 4th gen 2500 you can fit 37's with the 5" RCX lift so if the overall height is similar on a 2nd gen I could see it working.... Hopefully someone who knows 2nd gens a little more will chime in for you.

You can't go wrong with the Toyo MT's or Nitto Trail Grapplers. Both perform very well both on and offroad, you won't be disappointed with them in either 35's or 37's.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:32 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno red pearl
Rep:11
Geniusgene is on a distinguished road

didnt see much on pure street tires. i have stock sport 20x9 chrome clads and was wondering the prefered street only tire, may go to 22's if i can find a exact copy of the stock 5 stars. i never go off road and avoid snow driving if possible. i realize this isnt a common request but im starting to think im the only one with only street performance tire questions. my quads are for off road, not my sport. thanks.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
817moto is on a distinguished road

Thanks Brandon for the quick reply. I don't have an pictures of my truck but I'm sure you know 02 was a split year, and well I got the second half I guess so I'm a 3rd gen! thanks for the rim info I will be going with those when I get the cash. Can you re-advise me now you know I'm a 3rd gen? Haha I will get pics but I'm ashamed of the box and cab corners. As you know the Canadian winter roads are our trucks kryptonite. Thanks again man, I can see me coming to you more often!

Edit: I also read somehwere that your backspacing has to compensate for your lift or something along those lines. Any truth to this? If so what am I looking for?
Thanks.

Last edited by 817moto; 03-25-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:2051
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusgene View Post
didnt see much on pure street tires. i have stock sport 20x9 chrome clads and was wondering the prefered street only tire, may go to 22's if i can find a exact copy of the stock 5 stars. i never go off road and avoid snow driving if possible. i realize this isnt a common request but im starting to think im the only one with only street performance tire questions. my quads are for off road, not my sport. thanks.
I don't have a ton of info on pure street tires as I haven't dealt with them on a truck. Typically most guys are running at least AT tires. I have always been a fan of Toyo Tires though and have been very impressed by the ones I've ran. The Toyo Proxes STII's are a good looking street tire and from the specs Toyo's shows I think they would work pretty good. I can't comment on real world experience with them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 817moto View Post
Thanks Brandon for the quick reply. I don't have an pictures of my truck but I'm sure you know 02 was a split year, and well I got the second half I guess so I'm a 3rd gen! thanks for the rim info I will be going with those when I get the cash. Can you re-advise me now you know I'm a 3rd gen? Haha I will get pics but I'm ashamed of the box and cab corners. As you know the Canadian winter roads are our trucks kryptonite. Thanks again man, I can see me coming to you more often!

Edit: I also read somehwere that your backspacing has to compensate for your lift or something along those lines. Any truth to this? If so what am I looking for?
Thanks.
Okay well if you have the 3rd gen body style then you definitely aren't fitting 37's on those rims with only 5" of lift. So I'd recommend sticking with 35's.

The backspacing doesn't need to compensate for the lift... but most lifts have a maximum backspacing that you can run to still clear their components. On the Rough Country 5" kit that's 5.5". An 18x10 -24 offset rim has 4.5" of backspacing so you're good to go there.

Last edited by brandonjansen; 03-25-2014 at 12:58 PM.