DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Black Express 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:22
FlashmasterK is on a distinguished road
Default FlashmasterK's 2014 Black Build

So I have been on this site for a month or so and figured I throw up some pics and tell my story.

So 3 months ago I had no intention of getting a new car. I had an old ford truck that I had modded pretty extensively and was happy driving it till it fell apart. So I was out with the gf at a nice place for dinner with the truck parked outside. A guy comes up to me during dinner and asked if the blue truck was mine. I said yes and he told me he just hit it and "rubbed off some paint". We go out to look at it.

Now the poor kid is maybe 17 and shaking he is so nervous. We go look at it and the whole rear quarter panel is f'ed up. Insurance info is exchanged. Later that night he emails me and says he is going to pay cash to have it fixed. I get the quote from my mechanic and send it to the dude. He cuts a check for it plus money for the rental car. About $5k. Now I think to myself, self, I wonder what this old truck is worth as is and if I fix it.

I get a couple quotes and its worth $7k as is and $8 if I fix it. No brainer not to fix it. Just for shits and giggles I go to the Ram dealership and look around. I see this guy

Now I had seen the Rams on the road and I love the aggressive front end and it is easily the best looking truck out there. So I start looking around thinking its the end of the year and maybe they are looking to get rid of the 2014's and maybe I can get a good deal.

I had heard of incredibly pushy salesmen but never experienced it. Holy crap I wanted to punch this guy in the freaking neck. How many times did I have to say "I dont want to talk about monthly payments, just give me a final number". 7. 7 times. And he didnt even know what he was selling. I asked question I knew the answer to and he got them wrong. Such as "is it a true dual exhaust?"
"Yes"
"Really? Are you sure"
"Positive"
"If you can show me the two mufflers I will pay you full price"

So enough venting, long story short is I ended up getting a stupid good price since they were desperate to get rid of it.

2014 Black Express Crew Cab, 5.7L Hemi, 8 Speed trans

Now on to the mods!!
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 PM

So when I first started looking, the first thing I did was join the forumz and start planning mods. I knew there were a couple of things I wanted. The first was purely cosmetic. I have dogs and didnt want fur everywhere in the new truck. This thing works like a champ.

Now before we go on, let me tell you something about myself. I am WONDERFUL at justifying things. My current favorite is "well if I increase the HP, and drive like a grandma, the MPGs will go up too! So these mods will pay for themselves!" So in that vein, I started researching CAIs. Now these have been argued to death, but I went with Vararam. So as I am about to pull the trigger on that, I think, "well, if I have the air intake off, I will have direct access to the throttle body. Might as well swap that too!"

Not a huge noticable difference from the stock visually. 87mm from Moe's
But on closer inspection you can tell the difference

Installed and tube for vararam attached.

Now the sensor seemed a bit loose when I inserted it so I put a bit of adhesive on it. Figured if I return to stock, Ill just buy another. Rather have the piece of mind it wont fall out.
Now Im not super concerned about under hood appearance as long as it works. But this looks damn good. And as for temperatures, it reliably keeps the air about 9 degrees hotter than ambient when you are moving. Id call that cold air intake!

Last edited by FlashmasterK; 01-28-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely beautiful truck, thanks for sharing those pics and congrats.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:51 PM

So I started thinking, if I have the active grill shutters (I do) wont that limit airflow and negate the ram air effect of the vararam when they close? I wonder...

Yup, the shutters pop right out!

Initially took out the top two on each side but reinstalled on of the top ones since it keeps the vertical piece attached and it will throw a code if it falls off.

Next its time for exhaust!
So Ill see if I can get some pics up, but I went with the Borla XR-1. Love the sound and the straight through flow helps out with power. I was going to swap out the horrible stock y pipe before the muffler but I didnt for reasons to come
Old 01-27-2015, 10:59 PM

Couple of other quick ones. Debated on floor mats over and over. Keeping the originals was not going to work. Way too much dirt and crap where I work and they would be destroyed quick. Went with Aries 3D

Already doing their job!! I like that they are molded perfectly and the black texture just looks cool

This one isnt really a mod, but I found a hiding place for my M&P Shield

There is a piece of molded plastic in the door that holds it in place. Not a permanent solution but works for the time.

Now to further the blacked out look. Muffler tips were easy to paint with high temp paint.

At night

Daytime

Also went ahead and VHT'd the tail lights

Wasnt happy with the first attempt. Didnt get them as dark as I wanted and definitely didnt get them sanded and polished enough. Going to have to redo those sometime this week

After her first bath
Old 01-30-2015, 07:42 AM

Default Christmas came late! Or bday came early??

This showed up on my door today

Hehehehe

Now I just have to find someone to install them. I am willing to turn a wrench, but I want these to be welded in. Probably going to cut out resonators as well.

Also, things that I modded that havent been shown are the stubby antenna and the deezee tailgate assist!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500
Rep:10
MightyAlweg is on a distinguished road

Awesome thread! I probably feel that way cause it's a story very close to mine...

I joined the forum here about a month ago, after I bought my first Ram; a 2015 1500 Black Ram Express, 4x2 Regular Cab, HEMI & TorqueFlite 8 speed.

I had been a Ford guy for years, and had spent the last few years fixing up a 1988 Bronco 5.0. I spent way too much money on it, but had a lot of fun, and sold it in December when I decided on a Ram instead of a new F150 or Mustang. I was such a diehard Ford guy that two years ago I went on summer vacation to Dearborn to see the Henry Ford Museum and go on the factory tour! But the V6 powertrains Ford is using on their F150's, plus the styling, made me leave the fold and move over to Ram. I'm glad I did.

So far my mods on the Ram have been cosmetic, except for the BT catch can I just installed yesterday after it's first oil change at 1,000 miles. On Monday FedEx is delivering the Vararam intake and 87mm throttle body I bought a few days ago from Moe's Performance, and those will go on Monday afternoon.

I'd been wondering how the active grill shutters were going to work with this setup. FlashmasterK, did you try driving the truck with the Vararam much before you removed the grill shutters? Or just go for their removal the same time you put on the Vararam?
Old 02-03-2015, 02:06 PM

I drove it for a while, but noticed the air temp go up once the shutters closed. That was my biggest reason for removing them. I noticed about a 5 degree difference when (I think) they shut.

I too was a fairly die hard Ford guy. I love my old '69 Boss 302 sitting in my garage that needs a ton of work. Thats next after I finish the truck
Old 02-03-2015, 04:20 PM
USMC 0313

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB
Color: SILVER
Rep:20
HammerHead is on a distinguished road

subscribed
Old 02-04-2015, 01:11 PM

So here is what I have heard from mechanics on install time and cost for LT headers

Store 1 - Mayco Auto Racing and performance- First one I went to, very close to my house so I really wanted to like them. "I just finished installing a set of headers and it was a very lengthy process. I had to pull the entire motor out to get them to fit right. I wouldnt recommend doing it. But I can do it if you want to." -Him
"Can you get me a quote on time and cost anyways?" -me
"Well its going to take me a day and a half to do the job, then you have to dyno tune it or it will never idle right" -him, I have heard that about ported TB too, but mine idles fine, starting to get suspicious
"Dont worry about the tune, I have that lined up since I have a lot of other mods"-me
"Man, id recommend, if anything, to do a procharger."-him
"Im not doing that for various reasons, the biggest being I dont want to blow the trans " -me
"Dont worry about that, these 6 speeds can handle 500 hp no prob "-him, complete BS as evidenced by yalls stories, plus I have the 8spd which I told him
"How about the quote for what I asked?"- me, starting to get impatient
"Guessing about $700, but you should really think about the turbo instead" - him
"Thanks for the quote, ill let you know" - me on the way out

Lets starting looking elsewhere I think. So my initial thought was to find a perfomance shop to do these since they would probably have more experience with this type of thing so I find a couple more near my place and send out emails while at work. Of 3 places, only one responded saying they could do it but no quote

Also, if I shouldnt name names on this forum, let me know and Ill edit it out. More to come later