DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
KevinJacobucci is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about factory order?

Hi,

This is my first post other than introducing myself in the newbie area so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. If it's not, mods please feel free to move it to the correct location.

It's been a long wait, but I am now shopping for prices on a factory order 2014 Ram Laramie CC. I have only bought 2 vehicles in my life and this one will be the first brand new factory order so this is all really new to me. I live in a small town that does not have a Dodge/Ram dealership so I am going to have to travel to where ever I decide to purchase it. Does anyone know if I have to actually have to physically go to the dealership to finalize order/sign papers ext. (I'm sending out emails today requesting price quotes from various dealers) or can this be done through email or fax?

My second question is about extended warranties. I will also be requesting price quotes for extending the warranty from 3 to 5 years bumper to bumper. I live in Canada and all the information I find seem to be for the US. Are the names of the warranties the same in Canada as in the US. For example the bumper to bumper warranty I keep see is Maximum Care that covers 5000+ components. I just want to make sure that the price the different dealership give me is for the same warranty. Otherwise it's not a fair comparison.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. This is an awesome forum and has already helped me immensely with deciding on what I want and need in my truck.
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1463
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

First and foremost, welcome to the Forum!

You can do all of your comparison pricing and price quote requests via email, fax or phone. I conducted my research this way and it worked out beautifully. I had evidence of each dealer's offer and could easily compare them side by side in the wee hours of the night when my 'new truck buying insomnia' would set in.

Once you settle on a dealer, a price and a location, I am not sure if you can finalize the purchase order remotely. Even if you are told that you can, this is a huge purchase and, personally, I would want to do this in person for various reasons.

As for the extended warranty.. I am not sure if these vary from the US to Canada (although 'Maximum Care' does sound familiar), so I would be sure to ask the dealers pointed questions as to whether or not the Canadian EW differs from the US EW. And, if so, in what ways.. Pricing? Coverage? Name? If need be, go ahead and ask out right for an informational print out about their EW coverage. Then you could compare it to what you have found online regarding the US EW.

Best of luck on your new purchase! I hope everything falls into place for you and that the pricing is right!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the welcome KA1OTE. It made me chuckle when I saw your user name and avatar. Your truck is basically what I am looking for except for a 2014. A lot of the mods that you put on I want too. I read your build thread from start to finish when I was researching what I wanted.

I was planning on going to the dealership, where ever it may be. Your right it's a major purchase. Especially since this is the first time that I'm doing this I want to make sure I'm getting what I want. Just trying to figure out how big of a radius for the dealerships that I will send requests to. I've read on here that people have bought trucks in different states and then flown there to pick them up and drive them home. Just wondered how that worked.

As for the extended warranties, thanks for the advice. Thats what I will do. Well I guess have some emails to send.

Take care
Old 10-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad Cab
Color: Deep Cherry
Rep:531
Flatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of lightFlatlandor is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum!

You're on the right track. Phone and email I think is the best way to do this. It does away with that whole bull ch!t of sitting you in a little room and having a salesman run back and forth to the "manager" who acts like the almighty "OZ" behind the curtain. I simply REFUSE to do this anymore.

The truck you end up with will be IDENTICAL regardless of where you get it - therefore it's a commodity and that's how I look at it - especially since you don't have a local dealer anyway.

Service is another transaction. I get the best price I can get from whatever dealer will give it to me. I pick my service dealership separate from that. However, I always give my local/service dealership the last opportunity to at least meet the other guys price because if possible, I do like to buy from the same place I'm going to take it for service - but that is not up to me - it's up to the sales departments "OZ" behind the magic curtain...

If he can't see clear to meet the price, I have no remorse about acquiring the commodity at the lowest price I can.

2014 Laramie QC 4x4, tan interior, 3.92's, sport hood, customized Moto Metal wheels & AT tires, LineX bed, rockers and fender flares, K&N Filter, cabin filter, "black ice" grill inserts, Putco bed rails, RollBac tonneau cover, LED bed lights, Mufflex 14" with Mufflex resonator and stock resonators, Moroso catch can and a "matching" 2008 special edition "Will Cooksey" Z06 - #139 of 505.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 PM

Your right I can get this truck from any dealer. A good way to think about it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:29 AM
Ram Ham

KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJacobucci View Post
Thanks for the welcome KA1OTE. It made me chuckle when I saw your user name and avatar. Your truck is basically what I am looking for except for a 2014. A lot of the mods that you put on I want too. I read your build thread from start to finish when I was researching what I wanted.

I was planning on going to the dealership, where ever it may be. Your right it's a major purchase. Especially since this is the first time that I'm doing this I want to make sure I'm getting what I want. Just trying to figure out how big of a radius for the dealerships that I will send requests to. I've read on here that people have bought trucks in different states and then flown there to pick them up and drive them home. Just wondered how that worked.

As for the extended warranties, thanks for the advice. Thats what I will do. Well I guess have some emails to send.

Take care
You're quite welcome.. glad my truck and build thread were inspirations for you.

I must apologize.. I had the mindset that you were buying new.. not factory order new. That part of the thread *title* slipped my brain. Doh!

In that case, yes.. you can purchase from any dealer and most likely conduct most, if not all, of the paperwork remotely without needing to visit the dealership prior to your scheduled pick up date. Personally, I would still want to meet those at the dealership for the exact reason Flatlandor mentioned.. depending on location, the staff, whatever.. you may want or choose to have your truck serviced at a different dealer than the one you purchase from. It would be a good opportunity for a meet and greet to get a feel not only for the people but for the way they run their business.

Unless you get an OMG offer/quote from a dealer further away.. at that point, I would be willing to fly one way and drive the truck home. Tell you what.. I live in Utah and I included dealers states as far away as Ohio and even, no joke, one in Florida when I was getting quotes. Sometimes it just works out that way.

Now.. that being said.. let's focus on the price quote topic. Is this the first time you've dealt with dealers first hand and played the negotiating and pricing game? If not, then never mind! LOL! If so, then the most basic thing to keep in mind is that you hold all the cards. Dealers, I've learned, will bend over (when pushed enough) to make a sale.

Start with a few dealers, email them, phone them.. get quotes. Just make sure that the build info is identical when you speak to each - otherwise the quotes will not be considered competitive. Once you have a handful, narrow them down using whatever parameters.. location, reputation, personal preference, price, etc.

Then you get them into a battle against each other.. say.. tell dealer #1 that you have an offer of X amount from dealer #2 and ask if they can beat that.. for example. I played this game, but dealer #2 was my preferred dealer due to being local. But dealer #1 didn't know that (big secret you must keep to yourself or this won't work!)

Once one of the dealers tells you that their current offer/quote is the lowest they can go, that's when you return to the other asking now if they can match it. Depending on which dealer, #1 or #2 is your preferred, you can manipulate the way you finish this game of tennis.

It's a fun game to play once you realize you hold the cash and, thus, the power. I used a slight variation of this tactic and I got just shy of $15k off MSRP last October.

Have fun and keep us posted!! Just stick to your guns and get what you want! (FYI: They love to suggest removing features in order to beat the other guy's price to appease you!)

Last edited by KA1OTE; 10-31-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the great response. I'm actually right in the middle of the process that you described. I was not really looking forward to the "negotiation" part of the buying a new truck but doing it by email is actually kinda fun. A couple of days ago I sent out emails to 6 dealerships to get quotes, and a second separate quote for the extended warranty because that can greatly affect the price. All I care about is the final total price. Well I've got all the quotes back back and after round 1 my best price is $46,180 (MSRP $60,375). A few minutes ago I just sent out another email to the other dealerships giving them the opportunity to beat that price. Hopefully in the morning I will get some answers. I was actually amazed at the price quotes for the extended warranty. I see how they say there's a huge mark up on them. My lowest quote was $999 and my highest was $2999. I actually email the dealership that gave me the lowest price tom make sure that it was the same warranty. Like you said if it isn't. It's not really comparable.

I've also heard that dealers like to add fee on to the price. All the quotes that I received had them. I have no problem paying a legitimate fee but these seem to me a huge money grab:

Fees of $717 as follows:

$299 for administration costs (lien searches/Carproof/transfer of ownership)
$169 for premium wheel locks and tire nitrogen w/lifetime free service
$249 total loss insurance in the event your vehicle is stolen/written off within first 3 years you will receive a $3,500 benefit

When ever I decide on which dealership we're going to buy from. I'm going to ask him to waive all or at least most of these. I don't need any of that.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Ram Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJacobucci View Post
Thanks for the great response. I'm actually right in the middle of the process that you described. I was not really looking forward to the "negotiation" part of the buying a new truck but doing it by email is actually kinda fun. A couple of days ago I sent out emails to 6 dealerships to get quotes, and a second separate quote for the extended warranty because that can greatly affect the price. All I care about is the final total price. Well I've got all the quotes back back and after round 1 my best price is $46,180 (MSRP $60,375). A few minutes ago I just sent out another email to the other dealerships giving them the opportunity to beat that price. Hopefully in the morning I will get some answers. I was actually amazed at the price quotes for the extended warranty. I see how they say there's a huge mark up on them. My lowest quote was $999 and my highest was $2999. I actually email the dealership that gave me the lowest price tom make sure that it was the same warranty. Like you said if it isn't. It's not really comparable.

I've also heard that dealers like to add fee on to the price. All the quotes that I received had them. I have no problem paying a legitimate fee but these seem to me a huge money grab:

Fees of $717 as follows:

$299 for administration costs (lien searches/Carproof/transfer of ownership)
$169 for premium wheel locks and tire nitrogen w/lifetime free service
$249 total loss insurance in the event your vehicle is stolen/written off within first 3 years you will receive a $3,500 benefit

When ever I decide on which dealership we're going to buy from. I'm going to ask him to waive all or at least most of these. I don't need any of that.

Thanks again for the advice.
Sounds like it's going well.. awesome! I've got my fingers crossed for more offers in your inbox in the morning.

Wow. I did not purchase an extended warranty (I plan to trade her off for new when paid off), so I am not personally familiar with them. But just wow. $999 to $2999 is a HUGE gap. Hope that part of the deal and purchase works out for you. That's just insane pricing.

Yes, the fees. Dealers love to charge the customer for everything possible (they'd charge us for each sheet of paper the use if they could!). I agree that, once you have settled on "THE dealer", you should definitely get them to remove all, or at least most, of those. The fees are for legitimate things, but I have never agreed that they should all be passed on and absorbed by the buyer.. there should be at least some equality between dealer and buyer. Besides, it's the least they can do for you right? It's not like they'd be willing to lose a $47K sale over a piddily $700.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the larger dealerships have 2 separate Sales Departments
Floor Room sales & Internet Sales
Both work for the same goal, to sell you a vehicle
One is looking to get as deep in your wallet as possible

The other just wants to sell you a vehicle & they don't need to rape you during the process, their goal is selling the most vehicles to keep the dealership owner happy.
Usually they don't get a commission, they are salaried & get bonuses. You do most of your business online, phone, & fax, but you can talk to them face to face as well

You would have to ask them about factory ordering, i have not read up on that part
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Ram Ham

This is true, I had forgotten about the internet sales dept. Funny, because that's who I started talking with before I purchased from my local dealer. lol The internet dept did give me the lower quote and the lot salesman we ended up purchasing from seemed uptight for having to match that quote.

I am unsure if either sales dept would have more flexibility than the other concerning a factory order though. I need to call my dealership to follow up on another topic tomorrow, I'll see what I can find out from my contacts there.