DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM Power Wagon
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:205
CapperRAM has a spectacular aura aboutCapperRAM has a spectacular aura aboutCapperRAM has a spectacular aura about
Default Head scratcher of an HID issue!!

My truck is a 2013 power wagon!
HID kit is a DDM 55w 8000k WITH Bulb out canceller! FOG LIGHT INSTALL
The bulbs will fire up and stay lit when parked but as soon as I drive a couple hundred yards they start to flicker and go out. If I stop driving, shut off the truck, restart the truck and turn on the lights, the bulbs fire back up till I start driving again then flicker and go out. I'm at a loss to what the issue is! I've checked all connections and everything is well mounted. PLEASE HELP.
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2014, 08:57 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:158
chuck2417 has a spectacular aura aboutchuck2417 has a spectacular aura about

The Canadian trucks at least have a canbus light system integrated into the fogs I believe. Now I am not exactly sure why they would work when your parked, but I had an issue similar with my low beams. They weren't a set from DDM, actually they were Morimoto 50w ballasts with a relay harness. When I hit 70 km/h my lights would flicker and go out. If I was below that speed they were fine. I ripped them out until I could figure it out (still not sure). As for me I have a canbus ballast and 35w bulbs (35w AC ballast). Are the fog lights running power through a relay or the factory harness? I assume no bulb out warning is coming up in your stored messages on your dash? Could be a malfunctioning capacitor, if it isn't storing power to feed the ballast.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

When I installed a DDM 35 watt HID lighting kit in the fog lights, I had the same problem. The lights would flicker and go out.

What I had to do was install a HID wiring harness so the lights would stay on and not flicker. I installed the DDM wiring harness and it fixed the shutdown problem that I was having.

Install thread: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147191

I did not install a bulb out canceler.

Everything is working for the last 9 months. I always have my fog lights and running lights on when driving.

The low beam HID kit that I used was from Retro Solutions.

Greg

Old 01-03-2014, 11:34 AM

CapperRAM has a spectacular aura aboutCapperRAM has a spectacular aura aboutCapperRAM has a spectacular aura about

Ok ya so I installed a set of capacitors so no bulb out warning, but still flicker and go out! The other thing I was gonna try is install a 35w kit! My wife has one in her truck (same bulbs) and see if the wattage is a factor! I'm really beating my head against the wall here. From the research I've been doing, a CANBUS system is virtually the same as what I'm running except the Capacitor is built into the CANBUS system.... No? OR... the capacitors are Junk? UGH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck2417 View Post
The Canadian trucks at least have a canbus light system integrated into the fogs I believe. Now I am not exactly sure why they would work when your parked, but I had an issue similar with my low beams. They weren't a set from DDM, actually they were Morimoto 50w ballasts with a relay harness. When I hit 70 km/h my lights would flicker and go out. If I was below that speed they were fine. I ripped them out until I could figure it out (still not sure). As for me I have a canbus ballast and 35w bulbs (35w AC ballast). Are the fog lights running power through a relay or the factory harness? I assume no bulb out warning is coming up in your stored messages on your dash? Could be a malfunctioning capacitor, if it isn't storing power to feed the ballast.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

As GCscott said, get a wire harness made for your year truck and model, got to theretrofitsource or retrosolutions and get one, there cheap plus they provide some extra insurance on your TIPM module. Make sure to order one for your truck, your headlight application and year. If you can find them, send them an email on which one you should purchase.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Ya a relay wiring harness should solve the problem. Before I had one when I first installed hids, the lights worked in park but moment I went into drive they would just flicker like crazy.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 01-07-2014, 03:17 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! I ended up contacting Retro-source and they took great care of me. Went above an beyond to make sure they were selling me the right product for the right application. The new harness is on the way and ill post an update when I get'er hooked up!