DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 4th Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Chevy Silverado
Color: Black
Rep:10
Nihilis is on a distinguished road
Question Air suspension or standard?

Howdy all, I am looking at ordering a new sport sometime soon and looking for some advice on whether to go for the air suspension or not.

Reasons for it is in-laws and wife are on the shorter side, so they have problems getting into my current truck (99 chevy silverado). So entry/exit would be great. Wife rides with me weekly and family once or twice a month. I also do some off road and for that, raising the suspension up would be awesome. Some of the ditches I drive through, I bottom out.

But I also want to get back into some club racing with the new pickup and I'm not sure how the air suspension will react with that. Will it try to go into aero mode 3/4 through the 1/4mile? Can aero mode be forced while racing? (All I've seen is that aero mode is automatically applied)
And it's still fairly new so not sure on long term durability.

What is everyone's thoughts and opinions? Is the air suspension worth it? Or would I be better off sticking to the coil suspension?
I'm more than happy to answer any questions y'all have.

Last edited by Nihilis; 11-05-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 SPORT
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: BLACK
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
CHAT2TRISTAN is on a distinguished road

I can only speak as far as regular suspension as that's what I have. I have driven both standard suspension and air suspension models and I like my regular old suspension much better. The convenience of the air suspension lowering, etc sounds nice but when you pull up somewhere and those passengers want to jump out you will have to wait a good 30 seconds for the truck to lower.

The other thing that personally worries me about the air suspension is that there are a lot more components to break as well which are a heck of a lot more expensive than regular parts. If you bottom out sometimes then you are obviously going through some decent terrain. I don't know much about it but I wouldn't trust the air suspension.

My suggestion would be to put a lift in it so you get that extra clearance and suspension travel and put side steps on it for those times where the people "on the shorter side" need to get in. Nfab makes a pretty cool adjustable step which you could have all the way up when its just you and lower it when they are riding as well.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Rep:87
hypoxia will become famous soon enough

Air suspension is the future, springs will go the way of vacuum windshield wipers and maypop tires. Luxury cars, motorhomes & semi's have air, now you can too. Rides like a dream, I was on a washboard dirt road recently & didn't even notice it. It is automated, perhaps you can pull a fuse to stop it?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Chevy Silverado
Color: Black
Rep:10
Nihilis is on a distinguished road

Thanks fellas. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get it when I get the go ahead to order.