DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:20
dalboa is on a distinguished road

Tommycat,

He didn't seem the hotrod type so don't believe so. About the only thing different is the K&N air filter set up. The plug wires are original Dodge to the truck and I would bet that
the plugs I took out were original even.
I'm reading alot about these 03s having problems with valve springs. My plan tomorrow is to,(read this a while ago) pull the PCM fuse and get in the truck, buckle up, turn the key on then wait till all lights and bells stop. Shut the key off and rehook the PCM fuse to see if this actually makes any difference. If not, I'm pulling off the valve cover over cylinder one to look for spring problems. May wind up replacing them anyway as apparently there not to be trusted. Now I've got to bone up on how to set everything up afterwards. Thanks, so far I've been throwing money at it in hopes of fixing whats broke but I guess if it is the valve springs, everything thats been done elsewhere will only serve to make the truck all the more reliable.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:03 PM

It's all stock, original issue with the exception of the K&N air filter setup. Still has the original plug wires unless someone bought mopar wires. I'd bet the spark plugs I took out were original equipment.
I've read about removing the PCM fuse and setting in the vehicle, seat belt on, turning the key to on till all lights and bells go off then switching to off and resetting the fuse. Gonna try that tomorrow if no luck then I'm heading into the valves. Have read these 03s were bad for broken valve springs. Going to start with the odd bank since the code was for #1 cylinder and see what I find.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 PM

Tomorrow I plan to run the ignition with the PCM fuse out of circuit till all lights and bells stop then shut off ignition, reinstall fuse and see if anything has reset. I've read this somewhere. If no changes then I'm going to start by taking the valve cover off the odd bank of cylinders to see how the springs look. I'm ordering from shophemi.com the 6.1L (16) exhaust springs and will be installing them anyway. Been a long time since I installed valve springs but with all the information available surely it will go well. Wandering if someone would advise any additional updates beyond just the springs, seats and retainers. Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 10:40 PM

HaHa! I'm an idiot!! I kept posting a reply and didn't think it was going on then low and behold I discovered a page 2. So sorry for the redundancy. Seriously, I probably shouldn't be allowed on any forums.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Rep:22
Tommycat is on a distinguished road

LOL do you work for the Department of Redundancy Department?

This sounds an awful lot like what my HEMI did when I had a bad computer. Wouldn't get any codes, but the thing wouldn't run to save it's life. I'd say fuel filter if the thing didn't keep running. Check to see if there are any other codes now that you have the CEL. To me it sounds less like valves than fuel and ignition.

Last edited by Tommycat; 11-07-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:18 PM

I removed all the new spark plugs and found that cylinders 1,5,2 are not firing. Plugs still look new with the exception of fuel on them. Did the ohms check on those three coils, primary checked out but for whatever reason couldn't check secondary with my expertise or tool. I replaced the ?ones with none working ones off the engine, zipped everything up and started the engine to see if the replacement coils would work. Assuming that if they worked the prior 3 were bad coils, if the replacement coils didn't work then there is an issue getting power to them. They didn't work so I am to assume the original coils weren't bad and the power is an issue. I've been reading how to check continuity on these wires to the pcm. This should be a real trick or treat as I've never enjoyed messing with such.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:25 PM

HaHa! Yeah Tommycat just about any state or federal department job would suit me fine! I love redundancy. Well they haven't kicked me off the forum yet so I'll just lie low and wait for page 3! Swear I'm going to keep posting till I figure out this problem. Guess I may have to replace the PCM.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Rep:22
Tommycat is on a distinguished road

Ouch... so it's either PCM or wiring harness. If it's the harness, PM me, I may have the one you need. Kind of a shame I just dumped the old PCM I had that worked, but didn't like the O2 sensor heater circuit.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

One of my crew left the key in acc overnite and ran my battery dead. Being in a foul mood, I forgot to remove the battery cable to charge it, once it had charged for a while I put the charger on the 200 amp "start" setting. It started and ran perfectly for about 10 miles, then it started running really bad and died. Towed it to the dealer. Monday morning, dealer says come and get it, nothing wrong with it! According to the dealer, I shocked the PCM and after setting all weekend, it recovered. Hasn't bothered since. I think it's PCM or maybe a bad ground somewhere.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 PM

Tonight I had a little help from a neighbor and pulled the plugs from the cylinders that appear not to be firing. As it turns out those three cylinders are getting plenty of spark. I'm going to try and include a video of the truck cranking with the second spark plug lying on the valve cover. The plug under the coil ignites the fuel in the cylinder as you will see by the flame coming out the open plug hole. You will see the spark looks nice and blue on the spark plug.

http://s763.photobucket.com/user/k63..._4978.mp4.html