DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 1st Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1988 D100
Trim Level: base
Color: Primer
Engine: 1988-1991 239ci (3.9L) LA V6 125hp
Rep:10
russiand100 is on a distinguished road
Default Pulling my old 1st gen out of storage

Hey guys! im new here and I have a few questions on my 1st gen, I bought the truck a few years ago (bought it as my first truck lol) but its been parked for a few years now, and the main reason I parked it was I got scared that I hurt the heads from moving it a few feet every once in a while without coolant in it, and me being the brilliant genius I was when I was 15 I didnt check the coolant, since my temp gauge didnt work at all, but anyway, since ive bought the truck ive maybe put 7 miles on it over the past 4-5 years, do you guys think i cooked the heads on it, i never ran the truck for more than 5-6 minutes moving it in and out of my shop, and now Im getting this truck ready for being a daily driver, and Im a little scared that I damaged the heads beyond repair and that im going to need to sink a bunch of cash trying to get it going again do you guys think the heads are still good or not ?
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

I'd fill it up with coolant and run it just to see. I do know we used to run engines on a test stand without coolant, but that was mainly like a minute or two at the most.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the persuader View Post
I'd fill it up with coolant and run it just to see. I do know we used to run engines on a test stand without coolant, but that was mainly like a minute or two at the most.
^^^^ That's what I would do as well. If it runs smooth and no leaks I'd say there's a good chance the heads are fine. One step at a time.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM
Team Drew/Captain

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I also agree too.

To be quite honest I can't see how you could have damaged anything in such a short time of running it. Even if it had no coolant it should be fine. I used to run around the scrap yard in various vehicles until they died without coolant and I'd run 'em all day starting and stopping. The only time I had failure I was well aware that it was coming. 1/2 hour might do some damage, but 5/6 minutes. I don't think so.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 01-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1988 D100
Trim Level: base
Color: Primer
Engine: 1988-1991 239ci (3.9L) LA V6 125hp
Rep:10
russiand100 is on a distinguished road

ok thanks guys ill keep you guys posted on the progress and keeping my fingers crossed that everything will still work on that truck