DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
Iowaboy is on a distinguished road
Default HeadGasket Possibility, Is it worth fixing?

Hey guys, I think I have what seems to be a headgasket leak, externally on my 1995 dodge 2500 with the 360 with 98,500 miles. The previous owner had a new intake manifold gasket, plenum gasket, valve cover gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, new heads, new head bolts, and new headgaskets put on the truck. I have been mysteriously losing coolant, and it wanted to overheat a couple of days. So replaced the radiator hoses, heater core, hoses, thermostat, thermostat gasket and housing, radiator, radiator cap, reservoir. Well, It didn't help my coolant leak. So I crawled up underneath my truck with a light and on the left rear corner and right rear corner, where the heads meet the block, its moist with coolant, and every day there's one or two drops of coolant that drip from front bellhousing of my transmission. There isn't any oil in my coolant, and no coolant in my oil. It doesn't overheat anymore, and there isn't any white smoke. We took the radiator cap off and did the bubble test and it passed that. Does this sound like the headgaskets? Oh and if I bought a combustion leak down tester, would that tell me if I had an external headgasket leak too? How much can I expect too pay a mechanic to get it fixed? I'm not mechanically inclined at all. Can I drive it for a long time without any engine damage? Is it even worth getting fixed? Thanks ahead of time. Truck is very straight and doesn't have anything else wrong with it.
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

A compression tester will not identify an external leak. Could be leaking at the intake where it joins to the head and oozing down to where you see it, or an improperly torqued head has resulted in a leak. Worth is in the eye of the beholder. If it were me, I'd say yes, because I can do the work, but for what it may wind up costing you, hard to say.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9 vin z
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:26
Shoveltruck is on a distinguished road

My bet is back left corner of intake is leaking. If you don't use some sealant in the corners of the intake where it meets the heads they drip
Old 11-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 ram
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Propgov is on a distinguished road

I would use a radiator pressure test kit and pressurize the radiator to 10psi cold so there is not heat expansion to slow the leak, plus if its cold its easier to see the drip because it will not evaporate.