Well i did have another thread for this looking for thoughts from other but i think i am going to keep it going for the time being because it seems to be working quite well. At the moment i think i conquered the 3rd gen catch can issue and seem to have gotten one to work.
I bored out an old PCV valve i had laying around and ran a piece of 1/4" OD tubing through it creating a bypass to the internal vacuum.
I then used an air oil separator, being they are cheap and I didnt want to invest a bunch of money before i new it would work. I used a t fitting and placed it in the booster Vac line to supply the vacuum to the new system and placed the separator inbetween.
After just under 300 miles i already have a decent amount of oil caught, so for now it looks like it is doing its job.
There was no adverse effects on the braking by placing the line from the PCV into that line, I was worried i would loose some of my boost but they are just as strong as ever.
Also i finally got my tune solidified and got my idle down to where i think it should be and it finally sound just like how i thought it should.
Well i havent been back to this thread for a while, I was stocking up parts for a pretty fair sized weekend venture. About a month and a half ago i ordered 4600 bils for all 4 corners of my truck from Bullys and then started picking up all the pieces for a front end rebuild. I just climbed over the 80,000 mark a while back and the stock shocks, ball joints, tie rods and brakes were beginning to show there age.
So here is the parts stack I had gathered up to start out friday night.
I started with my rear brakes and shocks, when I took the old rear shocks off I could compress them with one hand and they took about 7 seconds to extend so it was clearly past due. The Brakes were staring to do this type of flaking which I had never seen before which prompted the brake rebuild all around.
I finished the back end pretty easily on Friday night and decided to call it quits after that. Saturday Morning I moved to the front end and started the dis-assembly of the entire spindle.
I purchased a ball joint tool a while back when I had my 95 1500 which mad pressing out the bottom joint a snap.
It also made the re-install go seamlessly as she pressed right in and a threw a snap ring on and she was good to go. The upper ball joint is a non serviceable item so I had to purchase new control arms which are now serviceable and can be replaced much easier.
I got both spindles and rotors back on along with the new sway bar links and sway bar bushing and bolted everything back up. I took lots of measurements before and after so that I could get the alignment back as close as possible so that i would be safe to drive back to the alignment shop to have it gone over.
Here is what was left at about 3 on saturday after noon.
She rides like a completely different animal, shes tight as a new truck and the performance of the bilstiens are still blowing me away. It was a very over due mod and I couldn't be happier i finally got it done. So here are a few pictures of it all put back together and a change in its stance.(the new stocks raised it about an inch all the way around)
You are pretty handy man!
Looking good and good job taking care of the truck
Thanks for the reps too
Thanks man, I try and do most things I can myself i enjoy turning a wrench on my own stuff.
I got back from the alignment shop yesterday and I always ask them for a print out to see exactly how it was before I brought it in. For doing it in my garage with nothing but a tape measure I was rather impressed with how close i got it.
Its been a while since I have updated this thread... I changed the plugs to NGK 4306's to help with some detonation issues I was having and at the same time switched over to Taylor Series 50 shorty plugs wires to clean up the mess. (no pictures of that). I installed the transgo shift kit into my stock valvebody and changed fluid and filters.
I also finally pulled the trigger on a throttle body, ended up going with a true bore 84mm Fastman Throttle body.
Last big update was the Mcguaghtys 2in drop shackles, ended up tuning into a group truck night so got a few pictures.