DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rebel is on a distinguished road
Question Diesel vs. 5.7 Hemi for 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie CC

I am new to the forum and was hoping for some advice for a soon to be novice truck owner. I am in a quandary regarding a decision to buy the 4x4 Laramie CC Hemi (3.92 RAR) now or wait to order the Diesel (not sure why it's taking so long to introduce).

Intention is to pull a 6500 Lbs. 2 Horse bumper trailer 25% of the time with remaining 75% driving between city and highway. While the Diesel seems attractive (gas mileage, power, durability & higher resale value) I am concerned about teething problems with a new and unproven configuration. Advertised towing capacity also seems a tad less than the Hemi. The Hemi may be less economical but is fully vetted, reliable and proven. Both seem equally suited from the standpoint of torque and towing capacity. I am leaning toward the Hemi and hope I am not making a mistake. Help?
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
SFVDOC will become famous soon enough

The only thing i've read about the upcoming diesel in the 1500 is that engine has been used for years in Europe. The question is, how will it be once it's adapted to the American emission standards. The Hemi is a proven design but does use more fuel while towing. You won't be making a mistake getting the Hemi. Something else to think about. 6500# for the trailer. Did you also include tack, passengers, misc items etc in your overall towing weight? It adds up quick. Might want to check out the 2500 with the Cummings diesel or the new 6.4L hemi.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Bright White Clear Coat
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:104
Frankf300 will become famous soon enoughFrankf300 will become famous soon enough

You can definitely add up weight quick there...it's really not the engine that can't handle it, but more the suspension. Still I personally would not want to do heavy towing often with a gasser. The Cummins is an animal made for heavy duty towing like that. As for the small diesel...my concrete guy is straight from Ireland and he says all the time how everything there is diesel. He said they tow horse trailers with diesel Beetles there. He's so confident in the small diesels that he's going to trade in his 2500 Cummins for a 1500 diesel and beef up the suspension. Personally I think he's out of his mind because he hauls equipment with his truck. He's forgetting the stupid emissions we have here. We have a Sprinter 2500 with the 6 cylinder diesel...as much as I LOVE the engine, emissions kills it. I have put a lot of weight in the back of that truck and handled it with no problem. But as for towing, I would not do it...engine is just not up to it. If this was Europe I'd say go diesel, but it's not lol. As mentioned above you may want to consider the Cummins or at least jumping up to a 2500 with the Hemi. The last thing you want to do is be one of those guys who kills his truck because he's using a half ton as a tractor trailer.

Last edited by Frankf300; 11-08-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:38 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

don't make the mistake of thinking this 3.0 diesel is anything like a cumins. love cumins engines, esp. the 5.9, but am not enthusiastic with this 3.0 engine in our trucks. research the the libertys with the vm diesel. i am not impressed.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Black Pearl coat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:229
Ramzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura aboutRamzaq has a spectacular aura about

The diesel will be available with a 3.92 rear around January or February which should increase its tow rating some. If you are towing around Florida it should work well for you as long as you don't max out your tow rating. The Hemi is a good choice also.

The best thing to do is test drive it with the trailer when you decide you want to purchase and then go from there.