DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-23-2013, 09:54 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abissus View Post
how important are catch cans?
I think they're very important if you want to keep your intake as clean as possible.
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz77 View Post
i'm just working on mine. they say it steals octane from your gas,especially if you add mods and are looking for performance
I was curious about this statement so I did some research and the "loss of octane" can happen when you don't have a catch can installed and are relying on the stock PCV system. The catch can prevents oil from getting back into the intake system and reducing performance. I've had my catch can for quite some time and usually get a 1/4 can every couple of months.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:00 PM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
I was curious about this statement so I did some research and the "loss of octane" can happen when you don't have a catch can installed and are relying on the stock PCV system. The catch can prevents oil from getting back into the intake system and reducing performance. I've had my catch can for quite some time and usually get a 1/4 can every couple of months.
I get that much easily. A catch can not only keeps the oil from going back in to your intake, it shows you how much goes in it as well. When you see it for the first time you say holy shyt, and wonder why didn't I do that earlier?
Old 11-24-2013, 12:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red & Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:58
BigRedRam1500 will become famous soon enough

Please excuse my ignorance but are we talking motor oil? If that much is getting out wouldn't one be concerned that your oil level is getting low after a while?
Old 11-24-2013, 12:44 AM
God Bless Texas!

Yes, we are talking motor oil. If you never change your motor oil, then yes, it will get low. But this is blow back that is forced out of the crank case anyway. The catch can catches it before it goes in to the intake.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:72
Rambunkshuss will become famous soon enough

Oil catch cans were actually designed for racing, (here in america anyway) believe it or not. Back in the old days, engines used to just vent the crankcase out to the atmosphere (via a straight tube down to the ground under the vehicle). When vented to the outside of the crankcase, they were noticing oil blow-by was making its way onto the track surfaces, thus causing slippery track conditions, causing accidents. Catch cans were now law on the pro track circut. (you even have to have a coolant catch can the engines too).

Normal average cars on the road in the old days wernt effected by this problem because they wernt run hard enough to bother the streets and highways. BUT, they STILL dump oil out to the atmosphere... SOOOOOO, then along came the government EPA police, which deemed it ILLEGAL to let engines continue to expel oil fumes into the atmosphere. So then someone came up with the bright idea to return the crankcase vapor back into the engine by way of a hose into the intake manifold which would suck all the crankcase fumes (oil vapor included) upon deceleration. This is now known as the PCV system (positive crankcase ventilation).

Oil catch cans have been around for a long time, are ther any benefits... maybe, maybe not. If it makes you feel good about installing one, do so, but engines have been running for many hundreds of thousands of miles without one, without issues. Change your oil often, keep the air filter clean, those alone are the real benefits that have been proven.

Now let the oil catch can war begin...!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the only way to know for sure is to run identical trucks under identical conditions (only difference being a catch can on one of them). After 100,000 miles pull the top end off each one and take a look. Gotta love the scientific approach, I wonder if anyone has done this.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:364
spoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nicespoiler is just really nice

The catch can is a good idea… as rambunkshuss stated above. There are three choices..
collect the vapor in a can
dump the vapor on the street/air
burn the vapor in the intake

I'm not opposed in any way to keeping the air/roads clean.

I'm certain the reason we on the Z love these things is because we are also the type of person who likes opening the engine compartment very so often to see how things are going in there.

If a catch can came stock it would need a 30 gallon reservoir and even then- there are lots of folks that would never notice it getting full. LOL
Old 11-30-2013, 07:28 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
satan47 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
I get that much easily. A catch can not only keeps the oil from going back in to your intake, it shows you how much goes in it as well. When you see it for the first time you say holy shyt, and wonder why didn't I do that earlier?

YUP, that is what i was thinking and wish i wouldnt have put the 2K miles on the truck without it before i got mine.
Line-Xbedliner,10% tint all around,Aries 5in black oval W2W steps, WeatherTech mats,6x9Kickers 4doors, 20x9 XDMonsters,295/65/20 TrailGrapplers, DeeZeetailgate assist, 4" CST spindle lift, rear 1.5" spacers with 5100's,Moes 87TB,SB CAI,18" Maganflow/Y pipe,BT Catchcan, Colormatch handles,T1000
Old 11-30-2013, 10:49 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 CC 4x4
Trim Level: 1500 Longhorn 4x4
Color: Western Brown Monotone
Rep:92
lowfast will become famous soon enough

IMHO the auto companies make cars to last for the warranty period, having your intake getting gummed up by oil and crap most likely will not happen prior to the warranty expiring, and at that point it is "your problem." Seeing the mess the recirc of oil can make of the intake and T-body should be enough to convince you to go with the catch can. But as others have said, it is one more thing to maintain, if you trade in every 3-4 years don't worry about it, if you are like me and keep your trucks 10+ years, it is worth the $100 of prevention.