DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST-SXT Appearance
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
flyersfan2788 is on a distinguished road
Default Air Pressure Question going from P rated to LT

Hi guys, wondering if you could help me out.

I have a stock 13 Crew that had OEM P265/70/R17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's on it.

Had a bit of cold temps and black ice just before Halloween that convinced me to search out other options, as I was looking at a set of snow tires as well.

Long story short, I decided on General Tire Grabber AT2's, but I went with the LT265/70/R17's.

The main reason I moved over to the LT tire is that it has the snowflake symbol which it means it's rated for severe snow conditions and in Ontario that is considered a snow tire. My insurance rate drops quite a bit if I have "snow tires" on in the winter.

By going to the LT's, I have essentially a "all-weather" tire, as opposed to an all season. I know, I know, they're an "all-terrain".....

My question is:

The placard on the door says the pressure should be 40 psi, but that is for the P rated tires.

I know that the cold psi can be up to 80 on the LT's, so I'm wondering if by staying at 40, am I running the tires a little soft? I'm worried about prematurely wrecking the sidewall by running soft and heating up all the time. Not interested in a blowout!

The tire shop I bought them at said I should keep them according to the placard, but there is no suggested tire pressure for the LT's on the door.

I checked my owners manual, both the one in print, and the CD that came with it. Nothing. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

I assume that going from a P to a LT is a fairly common thing, so I'm wondering why so little info?

Any feedback that you can give would be greatly appreciated!

* I know the LT's having one lower speed limit than the OEM's, but here in Ontario I am never going to be able to travel at the unsafe speed long enough to do any damage to the vehicle, only my pocketbook from the cops impounding it! If you get caught here going more than 50kms over the limit, your truck is impounded and they suspend your license for 7 days!*
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Granite
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:99
TJC.geotech will become famous soon enough

Never run less than 80% of the rated pressure for the tire. The door sticker means nothing in this scenario.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I run LT tires from Michelin

go by the door post sticker for normal driving
run less if you are going to be in the desert soft sand & air them back up for the highway
run more if you are going to be loading your truck down & when your done hauling, let some air out

the PSI written on the tires sidewall, is the maximum pressure that the tire can with stand

PSI is the air pressure applied to the inside of the tire & believe it or not, a wheel barrow tire & a vehicles tire could both be say:
40 pounds, it just takes less air volume to reach the 40 psi in a wheel barrow tire

read more about tires here
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=196
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle