DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl/Gold Two-Tone
Rep:37
AzDusty is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Change Fossil vs. Synthetic

Hey all, I have 2700 miles to go for my first oil change and I am wondering does the Ram come from the factory with synthetic or fossil oil?

Should I go with synthetic, i tend to let the dealer do the changes as I just dont feel like rolling around under a truck at my age anymore. Loved it when I was younger.

Why synthetic over fossil? Does it improve mileage or protect the engine better. I have seen the debates of synthetics (mobile 1 vs, QS, vs Pennz etc).

Thanks,

RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am uncertain whether the trucks come with synthetic or fossill, but you can at anytime go to synthetic if you so desire. There may be a slight mpg gain with synthetic, but there are several advantages to going with synthetic. In cold weather symthetic does not thicken up and so it flows much better at start-up, withstands higher heat better and significantly less internal engine wear. If you prefer not to do your own oil changes, you can instruct your dealer or mechanic to add synthetic.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ What he said ^^^

Also think about costs, synthetic oils allow between 10,000 and 20,000 mile change intervals but Chrysler, in the owners' manual, allows the use of synthetic oil but says to maintain the published oil change interval.

I think if I lived in a climate where my engine was operating in a higher temperature environment, and in city stop and go traffic, I would use synthetic. Since I don't, I will stay with the dyno oil.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Pearl/Gold Two-Tone
Rep:37
AzDusty is on a distinguished road

Yep I live up in the mountains in Arizona, Still warm summers (not Phoenix warm but still) and snow in the winters. I think I may make the switch as I need this truck to survive for years Thanks for the responses.

RAM 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn
Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Dino or synthetic as long as you change it regularly your engine will last a long time.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 06 2500 heavy duty 4x4
Trim Level: base
Color: Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Lawn Monkey is on a distinguished road

There is a difference , I run Mobil 1 synthetic at 5,000 mile oil change
Old 12-08-2013, 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

For your piece of mind get a test kit from Blackstone Labs. They will give you a print out of all contaminants and condition of oil. Change at Chrysler's spec until warrantee is over. I change Penzoil Platinum every 15,000 miles, Blackstone suggests 20,000 but oil is so cheap. Chrysler uses Penzoil Platinum for a factory fill, I believe, Penzoil Ultra in the SRT8's. I use a spec 15,000 mile change filter Fram XG, but if you change at 5,000 mi, the Mopar one is fine.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 12-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 06 2500 heavy duty 4x4
Trim Level: base
Color: Blue
Lawn Monkey is on a distinguished road

I understand synthetic but these oil change recommendations are too long for a seasonal climate with hot/cold and condenstation resulting in water drops on oil , consider 15,000 miles for me thats 2 years of driving on the same oil , not good imop I change my oil every spring at but never over 5,000 miles on the oil, basicly most years I run 8,000 miles on the truck
Old 01-21-2014, 11:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 4X4 Crew CAb
Trim Level: LoneStar Rambox
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:74
ghorn will become famous soon enough

Synthetic is good for clean-running engines....like turbines...where it can be allowed to go for a long time/interval.
Piston engines, especially in cars/trucks that start/stop daily...make dirt. The oil must be changed frequently. This rules out the economics of synthetics.

All mineral oil comes from wells all over the world in pipelines, trucks, and tankers and get dumped into the refinery all together, then put in different labelled bottles with wildly varying prices depending upon marketing/advertising budgets and foolish believers.... But if the oil meets the latest EPA and vehicle warranty standards (if it has a starburst symbol on the label) it is essentially the same stuff regardless of price.

Buy the cheapest that meets the warranty and change it often. Pep Boys will do a conventional oil change for $19.95. I do it every 4K miles since new.

My last car went 330,000 miles on WalMart Supertech and whatever else was cheap and only went off the street when it was rear-ended by a woman driving a Class A motorhome while texting. SuperDuperOil claims are B.S.

All major brands meet warranty and will do the job, and the Chrysler MS spec is virtually meaningless. All it does is pertain to extended oil change intervals (if you are so foolish as to actually USE their 8K mile change interval). If you change the oil more often that standard doesn't even apply. Shell, Valvoline, and lots other common motor oil all meet the standard anyway.

So.... quit this silly wringing-of-hands and go buy a cheap oil change and do it frequently. Change your air filter more frequently than Chrysler's silly 30K recommendation also. Do it every 6 mos or every third oil change or...??? but change it. Often. (Your engine burns 7 times more volume of air than fuel, so guess which needs to be cleaner?)

Change your oil. Drive your truck. Don't worry. Be happy.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
gsxr7racer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
Buy the cheapest that meets the warranty and change it often. Pep Boys will do a conventional oil change for $19.95. I do it every 4K miles since new.
So when I spend $60 on synthetic and a good filter every 15k miles guess who is spending more. Not me and I am staying within the warranty and the truck will last just as long as you doing it every 4k miles.