DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1520
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

The ex-wife lived in Vegas for awhile. She drove a Minnesota car out there. When she brought it in for an oil change the tech guys were all waiting for her when she came back. They wanted to know if she had some type of experimental electric car. She said no. They pointed to the electrical plug for the block heater and asked what that was for. They couldn't grasp living somewhere where you needed to plug your car in at night.

Some vehicles need to be plugged in. Some don't. If your car needs to be plugged in some of the old mechanics called your car cold blooded. I had a 2000 Intrepid that needed to have the gas pedal pushed all the way down to start when it got to -10 or so. Vehicles do weird things when it gets in to the -20 range.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped Grille Inserts The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 RAM
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:121
canadian.bacon will become famous soon enoughcanadian.bacon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce E View Post
Hi Rexer, where are you in northern Ontario. I haven't found the need to plug my truck in up here but there is a lot more Ontario north of me. This is my second Ram although both have been Hemi's. I do however use the remote start on a regular basis.
I had to plug in my 4 banger, it was -45C (-49F) up in Bancroft a few years back. And you must keep up with those oil changes (check this out )
I think most of the cars come with this heater standard now...or at least the dealers get them like that. It's like $100 or so....
Old 11-14-2013, 02:56 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
2010x3.92 is on a distinguished road

Wow that's some serious cold. I can't imagine that. Even in the teens my 440 Kawasaki is one hell of a bear to pull over. I am a smaller guy and it takes about all I have to get it to spin fast enough to fire off when it hits below 10 degrees.

The old 96 12 valve would start right up with no block heater one winter when it was a couple below. The truck was stored outside in the winter (2wd) and we had to move it to prepare for a snow storm. I cycled the heater grid and it cranked over 3 or 4 revolutions and fired right up. I was impressed.

Never had cold enough to make a vehicle not start though that's serious. That video was very interesting.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:01 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold / White Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
Explorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the roughExplorer Rob is a jewel in the rough

I feel for you guys. I haven't even turned my heater on yet. In fact, I'm still running the A/C.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4 CC
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:83
Bushmaster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Rob View Post
I feel for you guys. I haven't even turned my heater on yet. In fact, I'm still running the A/C.
Does it even have a heat setting
Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, EGR Aerowrap bug guard, Trail FX wheel to wheel nerf bars, Huskyliner mudflaps, Weather Tech front floor mats, rear Recon mini lightbar,20% tint front door windows, 5% tint rear door/rear window, Vision X Licence plate mount with 10" Rigid LED lightbar
Old 11-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Rob View Post
I think I speak for all Canadians when I say this:

Go. To. Hell.

Oh, and you can keep all our old folks too as an added punishment; we know they migrate south for the winter.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Rep:207
Rexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post

Go. To. Hell.

Oh, and you can keep all our old folks too as an added punishment; we know they migrate south for the winter.

PS- Nice touch with the snowbirds
Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I have never used a block heater but I assume it's only a simple 2 or 3 line cord. You could pretty easily cut/extend it if you have basic electrical knowledge. They probably make longer cords as well if you don't want to cut it.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Rep:207
Rexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I have never used a block heater but I assume it's only a simple 2 or 3 line cord. You could pretty easily cut/extend it if you have basic electrical knowledge. They probably make longer cords as well if you don't want to cut it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post

There's a lot of things in life that I don't mine tinkering with but AC electrical is a big no no for me...truck would catch fire first night

Ya that's been covered, but in the end...why should I be splicing wires on a brand new truck? I know mines not the top of the line trim model...but I paid enough IMHO that they should be paying & fixing it themselves...though I do find it strange that nobody else has stated that they have/had the same problem...for those with block heaters I mean lol
Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1520
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post

Go. To. Hell.
...and one Minnesotan.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped Grille Inserts The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover