DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4 CC
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:83
Bushmaster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
Ya that's been covered, but in the end...why should I be splicing wires on a brand new truck? I know mines not the top of the line trim model...but I paid enough IMHO that they should be paying & fixing it themselves...though I do find it strange that nobody else has stated that they have/had the same problem...for those with block heaters I mean lol
I just got mine and will be checking this weekend when I am off. I think a $50+ truck should have a long enough cord.
Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, SunTek clear wrap complete front end, Trail FX wheel to wheel nerf bars, Huskyliner mudflaps, Weather Tech front floor mats, rear Recon mini lightbar,20% tint front door windows, 5% tint rear door/rear window, Smittybilt Lightbar with 10" Rigid LED lightbar
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I no longer live where it hardly gets cold enough to snow much, when it does snow a bit, the 911 operators start getting phone calls about being chemically attacked by aliens.

When i did live in Connecticut life was different
We didn't have money to spend on things like Block Heaters
Instead we went to a place that sold large appliances, like refrigerators & stoves,
We would ask someone if we could get the shipping cartons that were no longer needed. We took those cartons home & stored them away until winter, when the temperatures got cold enough, we placed the flattened cartons on the ground between the front tires. That insulated the engine & cooling system from the frozen ground where the cold is stored by Mother Nature, we all think the cold settles onto the hood & gets at the engine compartment that way, but it doesn't

If you are lucky enough to have a block heater, run the electrical power through a timer, have it set so that the power comes on about 3 hours before you have to have to use the vehicle. 3 hours is all that is needed to warm up the motor oil

I just found a article from Anchorage Alaska, to day is the day to get your block heater Timers

Winter 2013/2014 Timer Distribution at University Center Mall

Distribution of timers for use with engine block heaters is scheduled for Saturday, November 16, 2013 from 8:00AM until noon, or sooner if supply is exhausted. The location and times of distribution will coincide with the University Center Community Health Fair.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 11-15-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
downeastcaper is on a distinguished road

The engine block heater is listed as code NHK on the vehicle information report, and on the 4.7 engine, the cord and the plug end (covered with a rubber cap when not in use) is located on the passenger side at the front of the engine compartment next to the coolant overflow container, just lift the plastic trim/cover around where the coolant overflow container is and you will find it there, standard flat 3 wire/3 prong cord as used on 120 AC devices, tv's, computers, etc.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
Talon66 will become famous soon enough

I like putting my extension cord in the engine bay.
Prevents *******s from stealing the extension cord
Mods: 4500K HID headlights(55w) & Fogs(35w), Custom Dual Relay Harnesses, Tinted, Debadged, blacked out emblems, Stainless Works LT Headers, Magnaflow #12569, Kicker Soundgate, Diablo DCX - HF Tuned
Old 11-17-2013, 10:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorm
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Grey Met
bstunder is on a distinguished road

Most factory installed block heaters don't have long cords, just enough to get through the grill. A good reason to install a short extension cord, use the ones that have the LED in the connector. It will light up when the cord has power. Nothing like plugging in a vehicle to a dead cord/outlet.

Gives you a chance to route and tie/anchor it to the vehicle so if you forget to unplug it would damage other components.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Rep:207
Rexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstunder View Post
Most factory installed block heaters don't have long cords, just enough to get through the grill. A good reason to install a short extension cord, use the ones that have the LED in the connector. It will light up when the cord has power. Nothing like plugging in a vehicle to a dead cord/outlet.

Gives you a chance to route and tie/anchor it to the vehicle so if you forget to unplug it would damage other components.
Ya...I've used them all my life (well...driving life ) and must agree they're always short. The problem though is this time it doesn't reach outside the engine compartment....funny thing is that I also use a extension cord with an LED in it for this very reason lol. In the past I've always used a zip tie and secured it in place within the grill of my vehicles...

I sent a quesiton to Chrysler Canada via email/web page and still havn't heard back from them as of yet...
Old 11-18-2013, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

On my truck, a 2004 diesel, I don't have fog lights and zip tied my block heater to the opening for the fog lights. My cord was long enough to do this. Like others have said, just get a short extension cord.

I've been to North Dakota in the winter, everyone had there vehicles plugged in. Even if you don't HAVE to, its nice just to get heat a little quicker.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 PM

Vehicle: 2013 DODGE RAM
Trim Level: SL
Color: TRUE BLUE
indamud is on a distinguished road

The cord is long enough,just relocate and fasten.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:35 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: 2013 Ram Sport
Fahmain is on a distinguished road

I live in Northern Ontario. My 13 sport came with a block heater. I have no plans on using it and never used it on my 2011. It has started just fine in temps of -30
Old 11-19-2013, 06:42 AM

Vehicle: 2013 DODGE RAM
Trim Level: SL
Color: TRUE BLUE
indamud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahmain View Post
I live in Northern Ontario. My 13 sport came with a block heater. I have no plans on using it and never used it on my 2011. It has started just fine in temps of -30
For me its not a starting issue,I just think its better for the engine on a very cold start.Always heard most engine wear is on startup.