DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Ramdude07 is on a distinguished road
Default looking for the right tuner???

looking at getting a tuner for my truck...what is possibly the best out there...truck is running lean after header install...something that can fix that as well...pros and cons for different tuners...was told diablo was pretty good??? what do yall think....whos using what??? thanks guys
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
dbuzz77 will become famous soon enoughdbuzz77 will become famous soon enough

i like my cortex but i believe a hemifever tune is the best ( i think he can use 2 different programmers)
Old 11-09-2013, 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:1049
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Well you have a couple options like I said before with headers a custom tune will benefit you the most, if you go that route you can either go with a diablo intune or trinity. The intune is a handheld tuner like the super chips and most other but it is capable of loading custom tunes and data logging. The trinity will do all of the same but it also has real time guage layouts that are fully customizable along with a racing feature allowing you to test 0-60 1/4 1/8 mile times. There are also many choices when it comes to tuning hemifever seems to be the most popular but there is aslo othera out there such as white lighting as well as others.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough

Depends on what you want to do to the truck.

Superchips has better transmission control than the predator, and if you're just planning minor mods like CAI, exhaust, headers, bigger wheels, etc. then the Superchip is the better way to go. It does not support any custom tuning, just the canned tunes which are great in most cases.

The DS Predator is the most comprehensive tuner on the market with custom tuning applications for heads/cam and other engine modifications. It does all the same things as the Superchip, but with more capability if you ever want to do more.

Superchips spent way more time developing the tranny functionality then diablo. They truly make sure everything works before they release if SC had custom tuning (which they promised at one time), I would still be running that today. I need the Diablo for custom tuning my cam/heads combo. Also, after talking to some very experienced users. When you revert these tuners back to stock, SC leaves no foot print, diablo does (But They never seen it from mine).

Both tuners lock themselves to the car, so only one car per tuner.

Here is my opinions (based on a lightly modded ram)...

I would say from seat of the pants, the predator (diablo) provides a more fun ride, but the superchips is a more refined ride. The predator is almost too aggressive, shifts to hard, etc. for say just driving the wife and kids to the grocery store. Out of the box, the superchips will idle better, not run the fans, etc. You can fix all that with the predator, but you have to change all the settings by hand (up the idle, change the fan speeds, etc.)

If you are not driving the wife and kids to the store, the 1-2 shift at wot with the predator makes it totally worth having. When I am horsing around that 1-2 shift puts a smile on my face every time. The diablo also gives you a lot more tuning options, but you probably won’t need them if you plan on staying bone stock.

I found either one to be better than stock. Both of them give me better gas mileage, fix the shifting issues and get rid of the lag between pressing the gas pedal and actually feeling acceleration . They both add some horse power (the predator seems to add more) but that isn't as important as the fact that they both apply the existing horse power better.

The predator is easier to use (menus and software wise) but kind of a pain because it needs external power and a serial cable rather than an usb cable to program (what computer has serial ports these days?) You can get an usb -> serial cable which is what I run, and it even works under vista. I've had no end of trouble with the superchips getting it to download updates. The predator, so far, has not given me an issue.

Personally, I am staying with the diablo. That is mostly because I know I have bunch more mods in my future when the warranty runs out on my car. At that point the custom tune you can have done with the diablo will be a must. Honestly, you will probably be happy with either, and you can probably pick up a used superchips pretty cheap right now.

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 11-16-2013, 05:30 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

IMO if you do not need a custom tune then the SuperChips is the way to go, if you do need a custom tune either find a shop that uses a dyno to tune the truck (this is almost always the best results at the end of the day) or pickup a Diablo Sport tuner, you will have a hard time finding a predator as they discontinued that part, however you can get Intunes and Trinitys (I1000 and T1000) all day long

Thanks
Jeremiah