DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-15-2013, 02:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:15
DodgeRam Maniac is on a distinguished road
Default 3 inch lift

What's the cheapest easiest way to get a 3 inch lift?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
dodge.ram is on a distinguished road

2 or 4wd truck?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:91
Kelevra will become famous soon enough

The easiest, most reliable way is the right way. Something I've always learned with vehicles is to never cheap out on: 1,) Tires. and 2.) brakes/suspension

You get what you pay for and if you want reliability, peace of mind and a good ride, do it right the first time. sometimes isn't the cheapest way, up front. but will save you a lot of time and headaches and possibly money in the long run.

As far as how/what is the right way to lift these trucks is beyond me. but a little research or the right person will chime in on that. Hope you take something away from this post.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:15
DodgeRam Maniac is on a distinguished road
Default 3 inch lift

2wd. I had a friend use 3 inch coil spring spacers. would that be the easiest cheapest way?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

The worst way you could lift ur 2wd 04 would be with 3" coil spacers your upper control arm angle will increase causing it to hit the spring pocket. You want LIFT SPINDLES. 3" lift spindles is 275$ from airbagit.com there is a 4" lift spindle for 700$ from cst suspension and max trac suspension is coming out with a 4.5" lift spindle in December for 600$. A lift spindle lowers the mounting point of the hub thereby raising everything above it. Your 2wd comes roughly 2.5" higher in the back so if u want a level truck put a 1" block in the rear combined with the spindles and call it good. U can run up to a 2" spacer with stock control arms but then u need longer shocks.

What I described would be about 400$ this is based off my 06 so urs may be a bit different. Install is not difficult if u have a variety of tools. Hardest thing will be removing the hub from the spindle.

Last edited by dodge.ram; 11-15-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:119
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough
Default raising lift

Taking into account my "know nothing" gender, I foresee nothing but problems with raising your Ram's clearance or body. Why in the world would you want to do such a thing? Is it for 'looks' or do you have a valid need for doing so? Raising the body without changes to the suspension, tires and drivetrain will increase wear on the u-joint, affect braking, and being higher in the wind stream will lower mpg. If going to larger tires, then you have the problem of speedo recalibration and the need for a higher numerical axle ratio to maintain factory performance. Either way, do you have long legs? Is this something worth it's cost to you? Over my considerable years, I've come to know many who sought to fix what didn't need fixing in the first place. Just my advice,...forget raising your Ram, save your money and enjoy the wonderful truck it is.
dancianne
Old 11-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancianne View Post
Taking into account my "know nothing" gender, I foresee nothing but problems with raising your Ram's clearance or body. Why in the world would you want to do such a thing? Is it for 'looks' or do you have a valid need for doing so? Raising the body without changes to the suspension, tires and drivetrain will increase wear on the u-joint, affect braking, and being higher in the wind stream will lower mpg. If going to larger tires, then you have the problem of speedo recalibration and the need for a higher numerical axle ratio to maintain factory performance. Either way, do you have long legs? Is this something worth it's cost to you? Over my considerable years, I've come to know many who sought to fix what didn't need fixing in the first place. Just my advice,...forget raising your Ram, save your money and enjoy the wonderful truck it is.
dancianne
He wants to lift his truck cause it looks good and allows for bigger tires increasing ground clearance. And why do u keep referencing lifting the body? Body lifts haven't even been discussed in this thread. U joint wear? Maybe after 6+ inches of suspension lift. I have a 9" lifted truck that has never had a u joint issue in the 60,000 miles it's been lifted.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:18 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:119
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge.ram View Post
He wants to lift his truck cause it looks good and allows for bigger tires increasing ground clearance. And why do u keep referencing lifting the body? Body lifts haven't even been discussed in this thread. U joint wear? Maybe after 6+ inches of suspension lift. I have a 9" lifted truck that has never had a u joint issue in the 60,000 miles it's been lifted.
Perhaps I have misunderstood about there being a body lift discussion. But if not mistaken, some of the suggestions below call for coil spring spacers, so is that not the same thing as a body lift? Spacers would "lift the body" thus allowing the fitment of larger tires wouldn't they? Did I jump too far ahead in my conclusions? Nice to hear that you have had no u-joint problems after 60k. Increased U-Joint wear is a function of the change in degree of downward angle between the driveshaft and differential, so it would be my thoughts that the greater the "body lift", the greater the possibility of U-Joint failure. Every situation is different, depending upon "how good" one wants to look or actually needs. Just me personally now, I don't need extra ground clearance to shop at the mall, nor do I crave the 'wow factor' from fans of the monster truck look. It is my opinion that Rams (or any other truck brand) look just fine straight from the factory, nor would I wish to have to climb up in order to get into my truck. Though I do recognize that my preferences are individual, so I will close with a hardy best wishes to each and every one of you.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:34 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

I think you have the wrong understanding, a coil spacer goes on top of the spring which is part of the suspension, this is not a full suspension lift, however would be considered modifying the suspension, you are putting the body of the truck higher, but you are not lifting the body off of the frame. A body lift raises the body up off of the frame anywhere from 1"-3" normally.

However this discussion so far has had nothing to do with a body lift, and has been 100% suspension based thus far. Hope that sums it up a bit if you have any other questions feel free to ask . But if he were to do a body lift this would not wear or break down any of his suspension parts, as all of the stock angle would be exactly the same they were before he did the body lift, as he would just be lifting the body of the truck up off of the frame thus leaving the complete drive train in tact and not changed, about the only thing mechanically that is changed on a body lift is the steering linkage as it needs to be extended most of the time, other than that nothing else is touched, this would be a good way to lift the truck and not worry about any of the things described above going wrong do to a coil spacer, however generally I do not recommend a body lift unless you truck is a highway queen and you are lifting it solely for looks, if you are going to put the truck to work, or go on the trails/mud I would stick to suspension lifts (done correctly and not cheap out)

OP I would agree with the above statement, cheapest is not always best, and more often then not in the long run ends up being the most expensive. If you are going to lift/level your truck I would not cheap out at all. Get some drop spindles and a 1" rear block, this is not the cheapest but overall the safest and will last the longest and not stress near as many parts as a 3" or 3.5" coil spacer. If you insist on using a coil spacer I would not even for a second think of going more than 2" or 2.5" preferably 2" anymore than that and you will start to see a lot of parts wear prematurely.

Thanks
Jeremiah

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
July Blowout Sale! 10% over cost and free shipping on any and all in stock items!

Last edited by Bully's Performance; 11-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.