DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:88
ty-wa will become famous soon enough
Default TUNING help

Running 87 OCT tune that came with my T-1000, yes, I know it is better to run a 91 OCT or 93 OCT, but i'm not going to. i'm 18, the last thing I need is to run around looking and spending the extra money for racing fuel...anyway...
What tune can I put on my tuner (such as hemifever, or others...?) to up the performance a little. I obviously want power, but also MPG. Please tell me:
Opinions, experiences, and where to get them!
Or should I modify certain aspects by myself? With your help of coarse, will that be just as sufficient? Help please!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:35 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:37
DWWHemiguy is on a distinguished road

I'm running a Hemifever 89 tune and it's great. A few days ago I put the stock tune back on because I had to take it to the dealer for a recall. Let's just say the stock tune sucked. The Hemifever tune makes it shift much better. It doesn't go to the overdrive gears so quickly. It stays in 4th when cruising at slower speeds which keeps the rpms up. No "bogged down" feeling. You can still tweak the custom tune also. I boosted the throttle response and shut off the mds. Also I still run 87 oct and it runs fine.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1990
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Honestly, if you want performance but are worried about the $5/fill up more that it's going to cost you for higher octane fuel you're driving the wrong vehicle.... It takes money to make power and have fun.

But to the point, yes a custom tune will work better for you. Most customer tuners go back into the fuel maps and tweak everything to be more efficient which will give you the better MPG.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

If you buy 20 gallons of gas that is 10 cents more per gallon it is only $2.00 more. I just LOL when people drive around to save 2-3 cents for cheaper gas and there gas tank only holds 15 gallon completely empty. (save 45 cents at most)

Greg

Old 11-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Default Well

I understand what you're saying, but I am a landscaper/own a lawn company. I drive near 400-500 miles a week, and i have a 32 gallon tank, so that extra 3.20 (which 91OCT is 20 cents more, not 10) will add up pretty damn fast... so thats why I want to stick to 87, maybe 89 at the highest. Gotta remember, i'm 18 and a college student trying to pay the bills.. not established adult yet!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:38 PM

Default Thank you! Exactly what I needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWWHemiguy View Post
I'm running a Hemifever 89 tune and it's great. A few days ago I put the stock tune back on because I had to take it to the dealer for a recall. Let's just say the stock tune sucked. The Hemifever tune makes it shift much better. It doesn't go to the overdrive gears so quickly. It stays in 4th when cruising at slower speeds which keeps the rpms up. No "bogged down" feeling. You can still tweak the custom tune also. I boosted the throttle response and shut off the mds. Also I still run 87 oct and it runs fine.
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I was looking at the Hemifever tune, did you just order it from the website? and install it to the tuner? Or do they give you a direct download from online?
Old 11-18-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Honestly, if you want performance but are worried about the $5/fill up more that it's going to cost you for higher octane fuel you're driving the wrong vehicle.... It takes money to make power and have fun.

But to the point, yes a custom tune will work better for you. Most customer tuners go back into the fuel maps and tweak everything to be more efficient which will give you the better MPG.
By the way, SICK ASS truck my man, your truck is my dream truck.
and...i'm not driving the wrong vehicle, as stated, I need a truck to pull, obviously, it wouldn't hurt to get a little better mpg, especially after wrapping the wheels with 35s.. haha. i know it takes money to get power and have fun, I own my own business. Well aware. I just dropped 3000 on my truck in two weeks...so saving a few bucks here and there makes me feel better.

Last edited by ty-wa; 11-18-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty-wa View Post
By the way, SICK ASS truck my man, your truck is my dream truck.
and...i'm not driving the wrong vehicle, as stated, I need a truck to pull, obviously, it wouldn't hurt to get a little better mpg, especially after wrapping the wheels with 35s.. haha. i know it takes money to get power and have fun, I own my own business. Well aware. I just dropped 3000 on my truck in two weeks...so saving a few bucks here and there makes me feel better.
Thanks man! Are you referring to my 1500 I had or the 3500 I had now? Some guys see my old threads and don't realize I traded the 1500 in....

Fair enough. It's definitely good to have it for work. But at the same time, you can't have the best of both worlds.... It's hard to get better MPG while adding more power. It takes fuel to make horsepower, that's just how it is. You'd be better off running a tune specifically for better fuel mileage and just deal with a little less power.
That's where it's unfortunate that gas tuning can't be set up like diesel tuning. On my MiniMaxx in my Cummins I have 4 different tunes. Mileage, tow, street, and street performance. I will be able to switch between any of them at any time with the press of a button (once I fully tune and delete the truck). It would be nice if gassers could be tuned like that.

35's are definitely going to hit you hard on fuel mileage. Expect about a 2-2.5 mpg drop with them. Just letting you know...

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs)
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Old 11-18-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
Thanks man! Are you referring to my 1500 I had or the 3500 I had now? Some guys see my old threads and don't realize I traded the 1500 in....

Fair enough. It's definitely good to have it for work. But at the same time, you can't have the best of both worlds.... It's hard to get better MPG while adding more power. It takes fuel to make horsepower, that's just how it is. You'd be better off running a tune specifically for better fuel mileage and just deal with a little less power.
That's where it's unfortunate that gas tuning can't be set up like diesel tuning. On my MiniMaxx in my Cummins I have 4 different tunes. Mileage, tow, street, and street performance. I will be able to switch between any of them at any time with the press of a button (once I fully tune and delete the truck). It would be nice if gassers could be tuned like that.

35's are definitely going to hit you hard on fuel mileage. Expect about a 2-2.5 mpg drop with them. Just letting you know...
The Cummins,
and I know, I got Mickey Thompson ATZs, I took a big hit MPG, so I was looking for a better performance upgrade, did research, then called Livernois Motor sports and was told to get the Diablo, and here I am now. The stock tune took over a second off my 0-60, and increased my MPG by about 1/2ish. Now i'm looking for something a little better, like hemifever.
and I know, i'd love to have a 2500 cummins. Its my next thing on the list once I hit 21/22 years old. haha.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty-wa View Post
The Cummins,
and I know, I got Mickey Thompson ATZs, I took a big hit MPG, so I was looking for a better performance upgrade, did research, then called Livernois Motor sports and was told to get the Diablo, and here I am now. The stock tune took over a second off my 0-60, and increased my MPG by about 1/2ish. Now i'm looking for something a little better, like hemifever.
and I know, i'd love to have a 2500 cummins. Its my next thing on the list once I hit 21/22 years old. haha.
Well thank you. It's fairly stock looking right now.... but it's going to be a monster within a few years. I'm assuming you've seen my build thread and some of the plans I have for it. It's all just going to take time and money... lol.

I'd say it's definitely worth talking to Sean at Hemifever. Just ask him straight up about fuel mileage gains with his tunes and what he does to the timing and fuel maps and stuff. He will be able to provide you with all the technical information on all of it so you really know what's going on. Obviously the real world experience from users is also beneficial to know.

I would definitely caution you about running higher tunes with low octane fuel though. It's one thing to do it when you're unloaded and babying the truck... the computer is capable of retarding the timing enough to get rid of the knocking and make it run decent. But if you're towing and/or getting on it often you'll definitely want to be running higher octane. What you have to remember too is that while you might be spending slightly more for higher octane fuel, you'll probably end up getting better fuel mileage as well since it will be burning more efficiently which will offset that cost. Plus you don't want to be putting more wear and tear on your engine by running low octane fuel with a higher tune... that will end up costing you more money in the long run.