DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
Several of my uncles have the caved in license plate/bumper look going on their trucks. They all drive Chevys though so trying to get them to use a hitch is pointless lol.
my whole family drives GM vehicles.. But my uncles with trucks will prob never tow, but all have hitches. I tow with with mine and then at my dads RV dealership we have a f350 and 2 2500 rams.. Some serious hitches on them.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
dodge.ram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride View Post
Because you have a tow rating of a wheel barrow. A 4-pin to 7-pin adapter is just to allow you to use the lights and does not work for a brake controller system.

With any new Rams, you are gonna have to get the computer updated and a bunch of other crap to work with the brake controller. A lot of the stuff like the wiring should already be there, but as far as I have seen when settings up RV's with new rams, is that the new Rams 2013+ don't like aftermarket brake controllers and will really only work off the factory built in one.

If you do plan to tow aswell. Might want to look at a tranny and oil cooler. I don't know if it is stock on the Rams, as I have the tow package. I know my friends with chev's only have 1 rad compared to my 4 lol.
Tow rating of a wheel barrow? My bumper is rated to 5000 pounds
Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

...but the tongue weight is 500lbs.

My whole family on my mom's side is Chevy fans, except for one uncle who had a 2003 3/4 ton Cummins, and now drives a 1988 Ram 1500. He is a black sheep though as he is the only one who went to KU instead of K-state for college. Two of my cousins have defected to Tundras which is even worse.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge.ram View Post
Tow rating of a wheel barrow? My bumper is rated to 5000 pounds
And you will go through a bumper pretty fast when towing anywhere near that max constantly. That is also a max tongue weight of 500 pounds.

You can go out and get a class 4 hitch for just over $100 with self install which trucks already have the holes and mounting points set up.

With a class 4 you have up to 1000 pounds of tongue weight, 10,000 pound tow rating. When towing with weight distribution with a class 4 puts the raitings up to 1400 pound tongue weight, and 14000 pound tow rating.

With a hitch you also get more protection from rear ending accidents, which is nice to have when dealing with idiot drivers.

Also if you do have any plans to tow, why test out of the bumper and risk scratching/denting it when you can easily play it alot safer with a hitch. I have seen plenty of bumpers wrecked from people trying to tow with their bumpers.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
KevinJacobucci is on a distinguished road

I'll never tow on the bumper. If the day comes when I need to tow something I'll get a hitch. I do have another question. When ordering a hitch on your truck Ram only gives you one option a class III/IV receiver. Does that mean it's a Class 3 or a class 4 depending on what truck you buy (A big diesel can tow a lot more than a 1500) or does it mean class 3 or class 4 depending on if your using a weight distribution hitch or not? I don't know much about hitches.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:14 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJacobucci View Post
I'll never tow on the bumper. If the day comes when I need to tow something I'll get a hitch. I do have another question. When ordering a hitch on your truck Ram only gives you one option a class III/IV receiver. Does that mean it's a Class 3 or a class 4 depending on what truck you buy (A big diesel can tow a lot more than a 1500) or does it mean class 3 or class 4 depending on if your using a weight distribution hitch or not? I don't know much about hitches.

Thanks for your help.
A weight distribution is something that is something that would be worried about after. If you were to buy an RV, most likely you would want a weight distribution. But back to dodge offering a class III/IV receiver. I would have to see what they mean and what the stats are on them.

Here is a page off of Reese hitching.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:19 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty sure Ram only offers a class IV from the factory.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
KevinJacobucci is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the help I'll have to check the numbers on the hitch when ever I decide to get it.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Stickers add Horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJacobucci View Post
Thank you for the help I'll have to check the numbers on the hitch when ever I decide to get it.
Alright.. The hitch is also nice just for the fact that it helps protect your ass end from idiots running into you. Several of my friends have been rear ended and their hitches kept their truck safe. I always keep a ball on mine too. No one is gonna have fun driving into my ass end, and also allows me to back up perfectly to a wall without any damage.