DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Notices


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM
goodoledodge's Avatar
goodoledodge goodoledodge is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Age: 36
Posts: 15
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1990 Dodge Ram D150
Trim Level: LE
Color: Silver w/Blue Flames
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
goodoledodge is on a distinguished road
Default 1990 D150 318 Sputter Jerking Bucking BAD while driving 45mph +...idles great

I have seen several people complain of this problem but I still haven't seen a solution, just a bunch of ideas and the thread dies. This started to happen ONLY AFTER a bunch of work was done by a family friend skilled mechanic. The truck ran PERFECT before the work was done and the truck only has 69k miles on it. Originally I took it to the shop due to a small leak in the intake manifold gasket and my friend ended up doing all sorts of other things it needed for free I only had to buy parts.

Symptoms:
When I put it in 1st (its an auto) and take the rpms up to 2000-ish it starts missing and sputtering like a misfire or fuel issue, if you floor it the sputter goes away and pulls good. It will do that through ALL gears but when you lean into the gas it smoothes out AND you can also let off the gas and again it smoothes out. It clearly isn't running right but has full power under WOT. When you get up to 45mph+ and try to maintain the same speed like setting it on cruise control that's when the severe bucking, jerking starts......its really bad! It only does it when feathering/holding the throttle in the same position.......it WILL NOT do it when you floor it or when you let off the gas completely. This is not suspension related or tire balance, I know this is an engine problem for sure.

Here is everything that was done:
Intake manifold gasket
New coil, wires cap & rotor & plugs (tried 2 sets of all these parts trying to fix the issue) I went BORG Warner the second time currently have a Blaster 2 MSD coil and even tried an autozone one too but didn't fix it.
New Coolant temp sensor
New MAF sensor
New fuel Filter
New fuel injectors
New catalytic converter
New battery
New Valve cover gaskets
New oil pan gasket
New radiator
New water pump and thermostat
New Hoses
2 new sensors that plug into the bottom of the radiator
New motor mounts
oil change
tranny fluid change
Timing is set right at 6deg BTDC (I'm at sea level)
The truck was originally supposed to be 10deg BTDC but there is a recall 588 sticker on it for EGR valve that says timing should be at 6deg BTDC and it runs good as it is now.

The TPS, EGR and other sensors were also tested including the fuel pressure for the fuel pump. Everything seems good and I just dont see how a part could have failed by coincidence when the work was being done, Im convinced it has to do with the parts that were changed. There are NO CODES either. No one can figure this out and if someone on here cant help me Ill have to take it to a master old school dodge mechanic after I research one and pay a lot of money to be fixed.

Please help me.....I can wrench myself and have also given many hours of trying different things. Today I just checked out the valve springs but again nothing is wrong there either.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,905
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 5
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoledodge View Post
I have seen several people complain of this problem but I still haven't seen a solution, just a bunch of ideas and the thread dies. This started to happen ONLY AFTER a bunch of work was done by a family friend skilled mechanic. The truck ran PERFECT before the work was done and the truck only has 69k miles on it. Originally I took it to the shop due to a small leak in the intake manifold gasket and my friend ended up doing all sorts of other things it needed for free I only had to buy parts.

Symptoms:
When I put it in 1st (its an auto) and take the rpms up to 2000-ish it starts missing and sputtering like a misfire or fuel issue, if you floor it the sputter goes away and pulls good. It will do that through ALL gears but when you lean into the gas it smoothes out AND you can also let off the gas and again it smoothes out. It clearly isn't running right but has full power under WOT. When you get up to 45mph+ and try to maintain the same speed like setting it on cruise control that's when the severe bucking, jerking starts......its really bad! It only does it when feathering/holding the throttle in the same position.......it WILL NOT do it when you floor it or when you let off the gas completely. This is not suspension related or tire balance, I know this is an engine problem for sure.

Here is everything that was done:
Intake manifold gasket
New coil, wires cap & rotor & plugs (tried 2 sets of all these parts trying to fix the issue) I went BORG Warner the second time currently have a Blaster 2 MSD coil and even tried an autozone one too but didn't fix it.
New Coolant temp sensor
New MAF sensor
New fuel Filter
New fuel injectors
New catalytic converter
New battery
New Valve cover gaskets
New oil pan gasket
New radiator
New water pump and thermostat
New Hoses
2 new sensors that plug into the bottom of the radiator
New motor mounts
oil change
tranny fluid change
Timing is set right at 6deg BTDC (I'm at sea level)
The truck was originally supposed to be 10deg BTDC but there is a recall 588 sticker on it for EGR valve that says timing should be at 6deg BTDC and it runs good as it is now.

The TPS, EGR and other sensors were also tested including the fuel pressure for the fuel pump. Everything seems good and I just dont see how a part could have failed by coincidence when the work was being done, Im convinced it has to do with the parts that were changed. There are NO CODES either. No one can figure this out and if someone on here cant help me Ill have to take it to a master old school dodge mechanic after I research one and pay a lot of money to be fixed.

Please help me.....I can wrench myself and have also given many hours of trying different things. Today I just checked out the valve springs but again nothing is wrong there either.
Sounds like it might be the fuel pump, check the fuel pressure. Since it's fuel injected fuel pressure is crucial for proper operation. Also I think you might want to have an ignition timing of 10 BTDC, it builds a little more torque at higher speeds for more power. It's possible but don't hold me to it that your ignition timing is why you get buckling at 45 ish.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 PM
goodoledodge's Avatar
goodoledodge goodoledodge is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Age: 36
Posts: 15
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1990 Dodge Ram D150
Trim Level: LE
Color: Silver w/Blue Flames
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
goodoledodge is on a distinguished road
Default

The fuel pump and pressure was checked several times and is on spot...and remember that it ran great perfect before hand. This all started because I received a smog notice. I took it in and it failed due to a bad catalytic converter so I had a new cat installed and took it back for a second time and it passed which also excludes the o2 sensors. Not to long before I smogged it I noticed that it was leaking a little coolant which is the original reason I took it to my friends shop, but in doing so we noticed a few other things it needed cause the truck doesnt get driven much plus its 23yrs old. I get the truck back and BAM......major noticeable shudder and jerking not to mention the misfire/sputter at low speeds. Makes no sense but everyone has given up and cant figure it out.

Last edited by goodoledodge; 10-19-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,905
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 5
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoledodge View Post
The fuel pump and pressure was checked several times and is on spot...and remember that it ran great perfect before hand. This all started because I received a smog notice. I took it in and it failed due to a bad catalytic converter so I had a new cat installed and took it back for a second time and it passed which also excludes the o2 sensors. Not to long before I smogged it I noticed that it was leaking a little coolant which is the original reason I took it to my friends shop, but in doing so we noticed a few other things it needed cause the truck doesnt get driven much plus its 23yrs old. I get the truck back and BAM......major noticeable shudder and jerking not to mention the misfire/sputter at low speeds. Makes no sense but everyone has given up and cant figure it out.
Ahh Ok, well fuel pressure is out. Timing is a possibility... It could be a great many things, could be a transmission issue but I highly doubt that, highly. Without looking at it I couldn't tell you where else to start, but usually problems like this are somehow someway fuel related. If not possibly spark related but you already replaced the ignition. I would maybe mess with the timing a little more, just incase. And I know exactly what you mean by the truck not being driven and it being old, I had restored my ram van and well sat for years in the florida sun and everything was rotted. So far I custom built the transmission, had a custom built dynotech driveshaft, upgraded the 7290's to 1350's. New tires, new hoses, new rad, new rear end suspension, new shocks, new new new new new. ..... Next I'm building a new engine for the thing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 PM
goodoledodge's Avatar
goodoledodge goodoledodge is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Age: 36
Posts: 15
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1990 Dodge Ram D150
Trim Level: LE
Color: Silver w/Blue Flames
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
goodoledodge is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
Ahh Ok, well fuel pressure is out. Timing is a possibility... It could be a great many things, could be a transmission issue but I highly doubt that, highly. Without looking at it I couldn't tell you where else to start, but usually problems like this are somehow someway fuel related. If not possibly spark related but you already replaced the ignition. I would maybe mess with the timing a little more, just incase. And I know exactly what you mean by the truck not being driven and it being old, I had restored my ram van and well sat for years in the florida sun and everything was rotted. So far I custom built the transmission, had a custom built dynotech driveshaft, upgraded the 7290's to 1350's. New tires, new hoses, new rad, new rear end suspension, new shocks, new new new new new. ..... Next I'm building a new engine for the thing.
I have tried the timing at 10 BTDC and at 6.......I only reason I attempted 6 because I noticed a Chrysler sticker in engine bay that refers to an EGR recall (588) and timing should be 6 BTDC, believe it or not the dealer was able to retrieve this old recall and confirm over the phone. Adjusting the timing only makes it powerless or pop backfire, right now its in the power zone.
I'm certain it's not tranny related cause it goes through all the gears great even when manually shifting. I'm positive its an engine/misfire/fuel "type" issue, here's why. When your in 1st/2nd/3rd and get the rpms above 2000-ish it starts that classic "baaa baaaa baaa baaa" non-smooth acceleration yet I can floor it and it goes without any problem. You have to be accelerating (not necessarily flooring) or completely off for smooth driving.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,905
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 5
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoledodge View Post
I have tried the timing at 10 BTDC and at 6.......I only reason I attempted 6 because I noticed a Chrysler sticker in engine bay that refers to an EGR recall (588) and timing should be 6 BTDC, believe it or not the dealer was able to retrieve this old recall and confirm over the phone. Adjusting the timing only makes it powerless or pop backfire, right now its in the power zone.
I'm certain it's not tranny related cause it goes through all the gears great even when manually shifting. I'm positive its an engine/misfire/fuel "type" issue, here's why. When your in 1st/2nd/3rd and get the rpms above 2000-ish it starts that classic "baaa baaaa baaa baaa" non-smooth acceleration yet I can floor it and it goes without any problem. You have to be accelerating (not necessarily flooring) or completely off for smooth driving.
Well I don't know what to tell you, without me being there this is almost impossible.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 PM
goodoledodge's Avatar
goodoledodge goodoledodge is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Age: 36
Posts: 15
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1990 Dodge Ram D150
Trim Level: LE
Color: Silver w/Blue Flames
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
goodoledodge is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
Well I don't know what to tell you, without me being there this is almost impossible.
I know thanks for trying to help me out much appreciated This was my dads truck and there was only one owner before him and neither of them drove it much so he gave it to me. The body has ONE single tiny ding and it has fresh paint with 69K its like an old brand new truck......I have to figure this out no matter what.

I'm hoping for someone to see this post that has had the same issue....the only problem is the 1st gens have hardly any following. However my perception says I have read newer Rams with a similar problem so I may go there next. Im certain this is a minor fix if I can find it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:47 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,905
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 5
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoledodge View Post
I know thanks for trying to help me out much appreciated This was my dads truck and there was only one owner before him and neither of them drove it much so he gave it to me. The body has ONE single tiny ding and it has fresh paint with 69K its like an old brand new truck......I have to figure this out no matter what.

I'm hoping for someone to see this post that has had the same issue....the only problem is the 1st gens have hardly any following. However my perception says I have read newer Rams with a similar problem so I may go there next. Im certain this is a minor fix if I can find it.
Yes not a problem, It's not that I cannot fix it or tell you what is wrong with it. But I am someone who has to feel it with his hands to figure out what is wrong instead of just saying this is whats wrong for sure. I could literally give you a list a mile long, anyone could. But you are right in that someone who has had this problem would know exactly where you should look, and 1st generation you're right not many people fallow it. And even for the magnum era, people have moved onto the Hemi. And personally, I think the newer pickups have more problems with them within the first 5 years then any of the olders ones. But that's my observation. I like the older rams, it looked more of a truck and drove like a truck, and important was BUILT like a truck. If something pops into my mind that may be causing your issue I will certainly let you know.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,905
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 5
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

You know thinking about it, did you check the points and make sure the mechanical distributor is working properly. You may want to switch to vacuum advance, it's much better.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 PM
goodoledodge's Avatar
goodoledodge goodoledodge is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Age: 36
Posts: 15
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1990 Dodge Ram D150
Trim Level: LE
Color: Silver w/Blue Flames
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
goodoledodge is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
You know thinking about it, did you check the points and make sure the mechanical distributor is working properly. You may want to switch to vacuum advance, it's much better.
I don't know how to check proper function other than visual inspection which I did and have also replaced two dist caps, two rotors, 2 sets of wires AAND 2 coils. I have vacuum advance on my 67 Mustang and although it may be better it doesn't make sense how it would cause the bucking Ram.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 PM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors