DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light
Default Transmission pans

Do the 4.7 2 wheel drive trucks use a shallower tranny pan then the 4X4 trucks.
Looking at my owners manual,it looks like a 4X4 tranny needs more oil then the 2 wheel drive tranny.
If they have a deeper pan what all is involved in swapping to the 4X4 pan,i'm assuming there'd be a differant pick-up filter.
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Well that plan went out the window.
Thought i read somewhere the 4X4 and 2 wheel drive trucks used differant tranny pans,but after looking at a buddies 2012 4X4 ,and a couple brand new 14's on the local Chryco lot,they look and measure to be the same pan.
Aw crap,lol
Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm pretty sure the 2wd and 4wd DO use a different pan (and sump filter). You could just swap to an aftermarket aluminum finned pan with a drain plug, though...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:34 PM

I measured a few Sean,unless there's an oddball 4X4 pan,all the trucks i checked had the identical pan my 2wd has.
Thought i'd read a post somewhere that they had differant pans,but by my tape measure they're identical.
Only thing i can see is maybe there's 2 pans for the 2 wd drive trucks,and one is a light duty pan,and the other is a heavier duty pan.
Third option i'd thought of,is Chrysler might of standardized the pans in the 13's,and they all have the same pan.

Didn't really figure my little 4.7 needs a aftermarket pan,for the cost,lol.
It doesn't make enough power to hurt itself.

I want to swap out my fluid and filter,figured if there was a deeper pan available i'd put a drain plug in it,but looks like my stock pan's gonna get the plug
Old 11-18-2013, 08:36 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I know there is a difference between 2wd and 4wd, unless like you said they made a change recently. PM member transengineer he will have an answer for you.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Not gonna argue the point,but take your tape measure to your local dealer and find me the trucks with the deeper pan.
I measured a 12 pan, my 13's pan,and a couple new 14's,they all have the same pan,i believe my tape measure.
All that i checked besides my 2 wheel drive,were 4X4 1500's
Like i said,maybe there's an oddball 4X4 pan,but i didn't find anything on the local dealers lot any differant then what i already have on my truck.
When it quits snowing and warms up a bit,i'm gonna go back by the local dealer and see if they have any 2500's or heavier with the 6 sp,they might have a differant pan,as i didn't check any of them the day i was crawling under trucks.
Did notice something on the 14's though,they seem to have more clearance between the cross over exhaust pipe and the tranny pan then the earlier 4X4's i looked at.
Rick

Last edited by Hornet; 11-19-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-19-2013, 11:51 AM

Like I said there may have been a change. I know there is or was a difference because the sump filters and (I believe) pans are different part numbers on the older ones(around 2010). Not sure if it may have changed in the years since.

Like I said contact transengineer, he designs the parts you're talking about and can give you a definite answer.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 PM

Dug out my build sheet out of curiousity.
It lists my truck as being built to Canuck Manufacturing specs,and it lists it as having "Heavy Duty Engine Cooling" and a "Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler".
I'll be damned if i've seen a tranny cooler on it,but then again i haven't went specifically looking for one either.
About all i can say Sean,is maybe there's a light duty 4.7 truck that comes through with a smaller tranny pan.
Rick
Old 11-19-2013, 01:08 PM

They are the same for the 4.7L and the hemi.

The transmission cooler is integral with the condenser, it's the top ~10 rows.

Most of the "heavy duty" lingo they list is just to make it sound good. All the trucks now come with that standard, even the "regular" duty trucks.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:06 PM

Looking behind the grill there's an aluminium block with 4 fittings feeding into it,that says from tranmission to transmission,and it looks like it feeds into the top of the AC condensor, you're right i didn't see any stand alone tranny cooler.
Too cold today to really look at it close ,but it does look to have a convenient spot to plumb an aftermarket cooler into place.

Sean you appear not to believe me,so i say grab your tape measure and find me the trucks with a differant pan then i have on my 2013 RCSB 4.7 truck.
My tape measure and eyeballs are pretty damn accurate when it comes to measuring from a pan lip to the bottom of the pan,hard to screw that measurement up if you ask me.
Rick