DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram
Rep:10
spotremix is on a distinguished road
Default 07 dodge ram error code

forgive me if this has been discussed or is on this forum I didn't use the search feature out of frustration of my issue.

once in a while my low beams stop working. everything else works fine including high beams. to resolve the problem my mechanic would hook up to it and reset a code.

we thought it was an issue with my plow wiring and still might be.

it happened today but I haven't hooked up to my plow for weeks. so it's not with hooking and unhooking.

he gave me the codes of:

B1638
B162F
B162B

B1637

in all reality we really have no idea what the real problem is. only speculations based on when it seems to any happen.

any help is GREATLY appreciated as I don't want to find myself needing to plow snow at 2 am with no low beam lights.
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

been searching ever since I started this thread. haven't found a thing. 23 views and no one has any help???
Old 11-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Outoftheblue is on a distinguished road

i looked these up on alldata diy (my codes reference my 2012 ram so take it for what it's worth): It's saying you have a short to the ground on the headlamp return signal or to the highbeam itself, or a worn out bulb (i only presume you changed those!). there are 3 or 4 potential fixes on their website, but it's all

If you do this, then does this happen. OK, then go to step 3..... etc.

I would invest in a membership for $40 (5 years of dense reference material and troubleshooting guides) There are too many diagrams and schematics to display in the forum, and too many troubleshooting steps to display them all. i tried to cut and paste the pictures but it wouldn't let me. hope that helps get you in the right direction. sorry i couldn't give you a more specific answer.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outoftheblue View Post
i looked these up on alldata diy (my codes reference my 2012 ram so take it for what it's worth): It's saying you have a short to the ground on the headlamp return signal or to the highbeam itself, or a worn out bulb (i only presume you changed those!). there are 3 or 4 potential fixes on their website, but it's all

If you do this, then does this happen. OK, then go to step 3..... etc.

I would invest in a membership for $40 (5 years of dense reference material and troubleshooting guides) There are too many diagrams and schematics to display in the forum, and too many troubleshooting steps to display them all. i tried to cut and paste the pictures but it wouldn't let me. hope that helps get you in the right direction. sorry i couldn't give you a more specific answer.
it points me in the right direction. i checked the site out and tried to punch a code in but it won't find it. maybe i need the membership like i you suggested. just not sure i want to spend the money when this will most likely be the only time i use it.

i'll check with my mechanic and tell him what you found about the ground and see what he thinks.

i haven't replaced the bulbs because the mechanic doesn't seem to think thats the problem. although he doesn't really know and maybe that would be a cheap thing to try.

i think what's confusing is how random it is and the fact that the code won't clear itself. i have to have him clear it with his computer. he says normally it should clear it self after shutting the vehicle down and starting it back up.

at first we thought it was happening when i would connect my plow. because the few times it's done it was when i would hook up my plow and if the plow lights didn't come on i would wiggle the connectors and try and get them to come on. thats when it would happen. so now when hooking up the plow i turn the truck completely off before plugging in the plow and switching the lights over to the plow. no problems so far.

but then the other day all i did was fire up my truck with my automatic start to warm up the truck and noticed no low beams. all my lights come on when i use the auto start.

i just don't want to be stuck at 2 in the morning with no headlights.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT QC 4x4
Color: Mineral grey
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:109
Simple guy will become famous soon enoughSimple guy will become famous soon enough

no doubt it's the plow wiring. my guess you're tied into the right headlight? Codes do not clear themselves. Period. you can fry the pcm with that plow connected wrong esp if you were connecting it with the power on.

B1638 - RIGHT HI BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH
B162F - RIGHT LOW BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW
B162B - LEFT LOW BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW
B1637 - RIGHT HI BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW

Last edited by Simple guy; 11-27-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple guy View Post
no doubt it's the plow wiring. my guess you're tied into the right headlight? Codes do not clear themselves. Period. you can fry the pcm with that plow connected wrong esp if you were connecting it with the power on.

B1638 - RIGHT HI BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH
B162F - RIGHT LOW BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW
B162B - LEFT LOW BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW
B1637 - RIGHT HI BEAM CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW
I have NO idea how my plow is wired. a dealer did the wiring and I know NOTHING about electrical work.

I was under the impression it was the plow as well until one day I used my automatic start on my truck and that seemed to result in those codes coming up.

in any case until I can figure out what to do to fix it I disconnect/connect the plow with the truck shut off and key removed and I have not been using my automatic start.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

What's going on here? Got any updates?