DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Shock Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:10
B1ueDemon is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Needed: 5.2 Bare Block

Hey guys,
I've been trying to get my engine rebuilt for better performance but the block i have is cracked. All the rest of the parts that im keeping are still good, i just need the block. Its a 5.2 liter out of a 97 Ram. Does anyone have one or know of one that floating around? Trying not to have it bored out so it needs to be in pretty good condition. Please help, I'd really like to drive my truck again.
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 Ram 1500
Trim Level: 1500
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:387
MOP4RN4TION is just really niceMOP4RN4TION is just really niceMOP4RN4TION is just really niceMOP4RN4TION is just really nice

A rebuild, if its going to last, will at the minimum need to have the cylinders honed to get the ridges out. There is other tasks best done by the machinist too, like setting your cam bearing. If you are trying to get more power from a motor that is over 15 years old without doing due diligence to get the block in a state to provide that power, you will be chasing your tail and throwing money away.

Having said that, you would probably come out ahead by finding a running power plant from a dismantler and going from there. The crack in the original block had a cause, and theres no telling what effect it had on other internals. Rebuilding a running motor gives you a good foundation, as well as backups for the odds and ends that always come up lacking when you go to reassemble, and if nothing else, spare parts to re-sell and recoup some of your expenses.

Last edited by MOP4RN4TION; 11-29-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Hey Gulfport. 'sup homey? Have you checked with Barry's? They were in Gulfport, but are now a little further west in Pass Christian, but still on I-10. You can use a hand-held ridge reamer on the cylinders, though it'd probably be ultimately cheaper to have the shop do it, and break the glaze in the cylinders. Then hot tank the block and install new cam bearings. Rebuild with moly rings for better upper cylinder lube. Chrysler has been using them in their severe duty fleet engines and at 100K they don't even have a ridge to speak of.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram F1500HD Custom
Trim Level: SLT Laramie Custom
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:22
beginningjockey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ueDemon View Post
Hey guys,
I've been trying to get my engine rebuilt for better performance but the block i have is cracked. All the rest of the parts that im keeping are still good, i just need the block. Its a 5.2 liter out of a 97 Ram. Does anyone have one or know of one that floating around? Trying not to have it bored out so it needs to be in pretty good condition. Please help, I'd really like to drive my truck again.
Try car-part.com and call a JY and see if they can get you a barebones block. I've got a 5.9L block that is in good shape but you'd have to run oversize pistons. Otherwise it should work. Shipping would probably kill though.