DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
HemiGrl143 is on a distinguished road
Angry Low grinding in Front End

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi 4WD. There is a low grinding noise in my front end . I can hear it more when I'm going slow and it happens whether I'm pushing the gas or not. I thought it could be my brakes since I live in TN and have to drive on mountain roads all the time so I put new pads and rotors on the front but the noise is still there. What could it be? Thanks for any input
Sponsored links
Old 12-03-2013, 04:47 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Hi HemiGrl, welcome to the forum. It cold be a bearing going bad. Does it get worse when you turn one way or the other? Could also be the brake shield backing plate.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi
Trim Level: SLT QUAD CAB 4X4
Color: DMC Custom Maroon/Burgandy
Rep:37
timsinnow is on a distinguished road

Im having the same issue with my 2005..any thoughts ? I would like to know more about the brake shield backing plate..Started with a clicking ,clung clunk noise on a slow left turn...i thought something broke. found nothing that made it obvious. now i feel it in the gas pedal , almost like something is dragging. brakes and rotors are all new.

Last edited by timsinnow; 12-03-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: more details
Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 PM
God Bless Texas!

RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

If you're hearing a clung clunk noise when your making a left turn, more than likely your right CV joint is bad and will need to be replaced.

HemiGrl, is your truck a 4X4 as well? It could be the same issue if it is. You could have a bad CV joint and that is what's causing the grinding noise.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks Roger.. I will look.. I did notice and asked in a different area of this, that there was a shiny spot in the center of the drive shift when I was looking it over. The rest of the shift is all rust covered. Is it possible I lost a weight and it's affecting the ride and causing the vibration I feel in the gas pedal? It's my first day on here and thank you..
Old 12-04-2013, 03:10 AM
God Bless Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsinnow View Post
Thanks Roger.. I will look.. I did notice and asked in a different area of this, that there was a shiny spot in the center of the drive shift when I was looking it over. The rest of the shift is all rust covered. Is it possible I lost a weight and it's affecting the ride and causing the vibration I feel in the gas pedal? It's my first day on here and thank you..
That's very possible. That would put the drive shaft out of balance causing the vibration.

Glad you make it on. Let us know if you need anything else.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So update.. Stopped by an axle shop and the all is fine.. Drivers side wheel bearing is shot, wiggles alot. My question is he quoted me 280 for the "right" part and 160 to install. How does that sound? He also said that assembly from like an oriley auto parts store is junk and would not be right.. I found one there for 139...he is telling me that I have a crew cab but it is on the Mega cab chassis??? This is from the VIN number.. Thoughts? Also is it a bad idea to run it until after Christmas.? Or am I causing more damage? Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The mechanic that told you that the quality of parts like bearings, u-joints, etc. from most chain type auto parts stores are not built as good as they should be.

This type of part is built to specific tolerances, like a u-joint is within tolerance if it has a looseness of say .025 , a good part would be built to a specification of say .010 , where as a part that you will find at the typical auto parts store, will be built to the spec of say .020 & it will wear twice as fast
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Any suggestions on where or what kind of wheel bearing to get? He also said dodge had/has a major issue with the wheel bearing /hub assembly so we would not be using that. I guess I want the best part I can get but reasonably priced since Christmas is in a few weeks yet I need the truck running... Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 08:09 PM
God Bless Texas!

You probably will be alright running the truck until after Christmas. But there is always a chance for the bearing to come apart and cause a lot of damage, including loosing control of the truck. As far as the shop, I'd get a second opinion.