DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-03-2013, 02:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Gray
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
thadrian86 is on a distinguished road
Smile proper lift 5"

So I have a 98 1500 4x4 that I am building up slowly but surely. It all started because it used to be my daily driver and at 300k everything was breaking on it. Now I am at the point of no return and want to go all out with it but of course $$$ is a slight damper. So far I have 4:10 gearing and a Detroit rear locker intake exhaust rear bags rebuilt motor and trans(should of bought a new truck). I do a lot of off roading and wanted to move up to 35" tires and get a better clearance. I heard a 5.5" is the way to go but there are so many out there and I have never bought a lift before. I heard some stories about kits breaking and causing more problems. I beat the tar outta my dodge and love it for putting up with it I dont want a "show kit" but I also cant dump 3k into it either. I go through mud snow and some amateur rock crawling. I only have about 1400$ to throw at the lift any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Blue
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
BLUELIGHTNING01 is on a distinguished road
Default proper lift 5" Reply to Thread

For a better quality lift I would look at a bds long arm or a skyjacker. I just installed a 5.5" skyjacker on my 01 2500 and I am quite happy with it. The kit cost me around $2500. I previously owned a 01 1500 and it had what I believe to be some sort of a 3" bds kit and I cleared 35's. It may be a more cost effective route to go. But I would definitely steer away from cheaper kits and it is generally better to avoid stacking blocks. The company or retailer can usually provide info on what tires what product will clear. When I put 35's on my 1500 (with a dana 44) I was replacing my front hub units quite frequently, a better quality hub may be the solution if you have that issue down the road. Hope I was helpful!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I agree thank you. 2500$ is the route I need to take huh? I have been looking at them and there are so many different kits all with different parts. Do you know if I need a new track bar if I go 5.5 or just the upgrade kit and drop down brackets and do those 2500$ kits come with all of the stuff or do I have to buy extras? sorry for all the ???s I have never messed with suspension so its all new to me. I might be able to do it if I can convince the other half that its a good investment hahaha.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Ram ORE 4x4 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Rep:55
Wh1t3nukle will become famous soon enough

Are you in SoCal?

If that is really your budget, then I wouldn't consider a full kit. Take the time to be on CraigsList, find some other built Dodges. Learn from what is on those built Dodges and determine where you "think" you want to be. You'll often things that are not desirable and other that are. You can do incremental steps too.

Going over 3" of suspension lift requires longer or adjustable trackbar and drop pitman arm. It's not just putting coils in. Alignment is important as Caster is the effected greatly. Fitting tires in without rubbing at all is a consideration that should not be taken lightly.

Going taller and bigger tires w/o addressing gear ratio in the axles will lead to eventual tranny problems. What is the condition of your current drivetrain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadrian86 View Post
So I have a 98 1500 4x4 that I am building up slowly but surely. It all started because it used to be my daily driver and at 300k everything was breaking on it. Now I am at the point of no return and want to go all out with it but of course $$$ is a slight damper. So far I have 4:10 gearing and a Detroit rear locker intake exhaust rear bags rebuilt motor and trans(should of bought a new truck). I do a lot of off roading and wanted to move up to 35" tires and get a better clearance. I heard a 5.5" is the way to go but there are so many out there and I have never bought a lift before. I heard some stories about kits breaking and causing more problems. I beat the tar outta my dodge and love it for putting up with it I dont want a "show kit" but I also cant dump 3k into it either. I go through mud snow and some amateur rock crawling. I only have about 1400$ to throw at the lift any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Blue
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
BLUELIGHTNING01 is on a distinguished road

The kit i had put in came with everything as far as brackets and the track bar and coils shocks add a leaf etc. I would say it was a good investment. But that was the skyjacker. Im not sure what other kits may offer. I would also reccomend longer brake lines.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1t3nukle View Post
Are you in SoCal?

If that is really your budget, then I wouldn't consider a full kit. Take the time to be on CraigsList, find some other built Dodges. Learn from what is on those built Dodges and determine where you "think" you want to be. You'll often things that are not desirable and other that are. You can do incremental steps too.

Going over 3" of suspension lift requires longer or adjustable trackbar and drop pitman arm. It's not just putting coils in. Alignment is important as Caster is the effected greatly. Fitting tires in without rubbing at all is a consideration that should not be taken lightly.

Going taller and bigger tires w/o addressing gear ratio in the axles will lead to eventual tranny problems. What is the condition of your current drivetrain?
Yes I am I have been told I need to throw a full fab on the front if I want it done right haha I dont have 10k though. I have a rebuilt 5.9 v8 from 97. The tranny I am getting worked on now hi torque converter, shift kit and a few other things to upgrade it. My axles have used newer shafts that I just replaced mine were toast, and 4:10 gearing front/back and a detroit locker in back that dont have 100 miles on em yet. So once the trans is done my drive-train should be good.

I really want to do the long arm upgrade for better articulation and the rest of all of the necessities pitman track upgrade drops etc. I think I would only need a add a leaf for the rear I have bags for towing already. I talked to skyjacker and they said I just need their basic kit for what I am going to use it for. I am just worried about parts breaking when I am 120 miles from a cell tower or a road. I talked to my wife and she agreed we can probably go 2500 or maybe 3000. Im really hoping to find something I can beat up and not have it fail me. I really would love a fully welded custom system thats bullet proof but unfortunately I always pick jobs that dont allow me to pay for such luxuries lol.

And BLUELIGHTNING the brakelines were tight? I saw some kits came with brake line brackets do you need new lines for the 5 inch or just brackets? 4 wheel parts swears by skyjacker and says they wont touch bds with a ten foot pole lol but others on here say the opposite. How is your articulation with the sky?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 96 1500 4wd
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Merc225hp is on a distinguished road

I have lifted my truck to many times now, most of the parts/kits I have used was Skyjacker. You will read good and bad things about all the kit makers products. I had always read bad things about the Fabtech lift kits and avoided them. Then I ran across a guy parting out his truck and picked up the upper and lower control arms and all the brackets and bolts/nuts from him dirt cheap. Once I got these parts in my hands I was impressed. One of the big things I have not liked is that most of the kits use a wrap around upper control arm bracket that goes on the diff. Fabtechs kit uses a insert and a well made one at that, you do have to do some cutting to install these brackets but those parts can be welded back on. You do also have to cut the lower control arm bracket off the frame almost a no going back to stock thing.

As Wn has posted keep doing research see what's out there. Also keep looking for a used kits they are out there just make sure its all there or 90% of it.

As for longer brake lines yes and no, most kits come with some type of drop bracket for them and they work ok, I did it that way for many a year. I do now have longer brake lines and would recommend you go that way.

Don't get shocks with your kit get Bilsteins 5100 they are a great shock.

Some pix cuz we all like picks.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Merc225hp;1242514]I have lifted my truck to many times now, most of the parts/kits I have used was Skyjacker. You will read good and bad things about all the kit makers products. I had always read bad things about the Fabtech lift kits and avoided them. Then I ran across a guy parting out his truck and picked up the upper and lower control arms and all the brackets and bolts/nuts from him dirt cheap. Once I got these parts in my hands I was impressed. One of the big things I have not liked is that most of the kits use a wrap around upper control arm bracket that goes on the diff. Fabtechs kit uses a insert and a well made one at that, you do have to do some cutting to install these brackets but those parts can be welded back on. You do also have to cut the lower control arm bracket off the frame almost a no going back to stock thing.

As Wn has posted keep doing research see what's out there. Also keep looking for a used kits they are out there just make sure its all there or 90% of it.

As for longer brake lines yes and no, most kits come with some type of drop bracket for them and they work ok, I did it that way for many a year. I do now have longer brake lines and would recommend you go that way.

Don't get shocks with your kit get Bilsteins 5100 they are a great shock
Wow thanks for the great response I looked into the fabtech and I think I found the kit I want. I heard a lot about KORE kits and those seam to be one of the top recommendations out here from the locals but unfortunately they do not make 5" kits for 2nd gens anymore. I have a few friends who race baja and the told me to talk to wally at off road warehouse. And he was great he told me the same about fabtech and said it would be perfect for what I am doing to it and he build me a custom kit. I am going to get the fab 5" for the main parts fox shocks with reservoir and custom deaver rear leaf springs once I get my extra fuel tank and accessories mounted.

Here is a picture of the truck currently and a pic of the lumber rack I am customizing with light bar and cargo rack (still working on lights)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM01042.jpg (129.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg CAM01213.jpg (133.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-26-2013, 02:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Rep:254
Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough

looking forward to seeing which way you go and how it all turns out! ive been wanting a suspension lift for my 2nd gen too! subscribing to this thread

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Old 12-18-2013, 01:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok I got my front parts in! And bds is what I ended up with. It was the same price as the fabtek but came with skid plates and the brake relocation brackets too. I also got the fox shox I will get pics up as soon as installed!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shock.jpg (123.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg cid_366.jpg (129.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg CAM01252.jpg (132.1 KB, 12 views)