DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 cc 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:32
finn5033 is on a distinguished road
Default Negatives to owning a new Ram Ecodiesel?

Hello everyone. Back in 2010 I bought a brand new Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 sport in the gun metal gray with the Hemi. I loved that truck but due to work changes my daily commute became too costly as I was spending $600 a month in gas. So I currently don't have my ram anymore. I really liked that truck a lot and am now thinking about getting one of these ecodiesels when they come out. I have been doing some research about the newer diesels and am wondering besides the higher cost of diesel fuel what would be the pros and cons of buying one of these new trucks? I do a lot of stop and go driving in rush hour traffic and have read that this can be an issue with these newer diesels. I have never had a diesel engine vehicle so I know nothing about them other than they are suppose to last a lot longer than a gas engine and are great for low end torque. Where I live diesel is around $1.00 more a gallon than regular unleaded so I know it would take a while to make up the cost but I would plan on keeping this truck for a long time. My purpose is I want it to be my daily driver 75-80 miles round trip to work, a crew cab so it can haul the family comfortably, and tow a 5k-6k lb trailer a handful of times a year.

I will be honest I am waiting to see more info about the new Chevy Colorados, but if the price is close I would rather buy the Ram. Any thoughts would be great, thank you

Last edited by finn5033; 12-18-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
Blackhawksp is on a distinguished road

I can't give specifics about the Ecodiesel, but as a general rule your mileage will be 4 to 5 miles farther on every gallon of fuel you burn as compared to the gas version. The resale values on a pickup truck is WAY better too with diesel. Stop and go traffic may drag the mileage down, but you would still be better off with the diesel verses gas, especially if you're towing anything. I've owned four different Cummins 3/4 ton's now and have never regretted buying one.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

The negatives of the deisel are very few, but they can be very costly. You have a higher initial buy in price, maintenance tends to be more expensive (though less frequent), and diesels do not generally like short trips.

Depending on your driving the buy in cost can be recouped by the additional mileage (or capability with the HD trucks). Maintenance cost are offset by the extended intervals, but you have to stay on top of it to avoid costly repairs. Finnaly and the killer for most new diesel buyers, diesels dont generally like short trips. For best operation (especialy newer diesels with DPF and ReGen) they like to come up to full operating temperature and run there for awhile.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerattle View Post
The negatives of the deisel are very few, but they can be very costly. You have a higher initial buy in price, maintenance tends to be more expensive (though less frequent), and diesels do not generally like short trips.

Depending on your driving the buy in cost can be recouped by the additional mileage (or capability with the HD trucks). Maintenance cost are offset by the extended intervals, but you have to stay on top of it to avoid costly repairs. Finnaly and the killer for most new diesel buyers, diesels dont generally like short trips. For best operation (especialy newer diesels with DPF and ReGen) they like to come up to full operating temperature and run there for awhile.
Ok, this is the type of info I was looking for. My daily commute is 35-40 miles one way which usually takes about an hour. Usually the first 30-40 minutes is free flowing, the last 20-30 min is traffic, not completely stop and go but 35mph probably on average. It would be used plenty on weekends for projects and would tow a 5k-6k camper 5- 10 times a year. I know only I can make this decision but I would like to keep it for a long time and with my commute the miles will rack up quickly. If taken care of can I expect this diesel engine to last considerably longer than a gas engine?
Old 12-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn5033 View Post
Ok, this is the type of info I was looking for. My daily commute is 35-40 miles one way which usually takes about an hour. Usually the first 30-40 minutes is free flowing, the last 20-30 min is traffic, not completely stop and go but 35mph probably on average. It would be used plenty on weekends for projects and would tow a 5k-6k camper 5- 10 times a year. I know only I can make this decision but I would like to keep it for a long time and with my commute the miles will rack up quickly. If taken care of can I expect this diesel engine to last considerably longer than a gas engine?
Modern gas engines are increadably durable compared to those of even 10 years ago, 250k is quite common. That said, a well taken care of diesel can usually expect 250-300k at a minimum.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:24 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:10
rdm1465 is on a distinguished road

Like anything other engine gas or diesel, they can break at anytime. Diesel tends to last longer as a general rule. Use care in the start up and warm up procedures. Unlike a gas engine, diesels are not a start and go now. They like to be warmed up first. Not sure about current engines, but in the past 3 to 5 minutes warm up was optimum before moving on out.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:27 PM

I guess my reasons for wondering is I have always been told if you don't do a lot of towing you don't a need a diesel. Is that kind of the old rule of thumb, cause it seems like diesels are becoming a popular choice for commuters as well. Its the mpg that really has me considering one.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn5033 View Post
I guess my reasons for wondering is I have always been told if you don't do a lot of towing you don't a need a diesel. Is that kind of the old rule of thumb, cause it seems like diesels are becoming a popular choice for commuters as well. Its the mpg that really has me considering one.
You dont have to tow to need a deisel, but you dont need a 6.7L diesel if your not towing either....make sense? Size the engine for the application when it comes to diesel.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerattle View Post
You dont have to tow to need a deisel, but you dont need a 6.7L diesel if your not towing either....make sense? Size the engine for the application when it comes to diesel.
Yes that makes sense. I know that the diesel will certainly help with towing the camper. My buddy's one with a 2011 Ram hemi and one with a 1/2 ton silverado 5.3 and they both only get 8.5mpg when hauling their 28ft campers.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:40
titanman2789 is on a distinguished road

finn - The Ecodiesel looks promising. Watching the reviews and such on youtube, the mpg numbers are quite good. One reviewer said that on his commute to work he averaged 31 mpg and that was with mixed driving. They also had an average of 25 mpg on the screen and said that was mixed driving with a bit of towing. This was a laramie model. It looks like it will be a good truck, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to trade my 2500 Hemi for one.

As far as the negatives go, you already pointed out that diesel fuel is $1 more than regular gas where you are. It's roughly 70-80 cents more per gallon where I am, but keep in mind that mid grade 89 octane is recommended for the Hemi, so diesel fuel costs 50-60 cents more per gallon vs filling up the Hemi (that is if I feel like putting in mid grade). So you'll have to do the math to figure out what you'll be spending in fuel. $600 per month in gas for your old truck is a lot of money that could be for other things. We spent nearly $500 one month in gas and decided to look for an economy car for a 2nd vehicle.

We ended up buying a 2014 Chevy Cruze diesel. I average 38-40 mpg on every tank and as far as miles go, that's probably 50/50 city/hwy, but way more time is spent city driving. It's a good economy car. This leads me to another negative for the ecodiesel - taking it in for service. The ecodiesel is going to be brand new. Not many people will own them due to the premium price tag. So when you take it in for service (if you do) you might need to double check the work done. My chevy cruze diesel is in the first year of production and I had to point out to the dealer to use the specified "dexos 2" oil in the car. Had I not done that, it may have been overlooked. Also, the service techs rarely see this car, if ever (the dealer I bought it from still does not have another one on the lot), and they somehow stripped the threading on the canister that the oil filter is in so now the car is slowly leaking oil. Going to be fixed under warranty, but still something that shouldn't happen.

I am anxious to get some more info on the new Chevy Colorado as well. Like the past with midsize trucks though, I can't see the fuel economy numbers being much, if any, better than a full size truck. The Impala gets 29 mpg hwy with their 3.6L V6. I would expect the Colorado to be at around 23-25 mpg with that same motor. The 2.8L Duramax will hopefully do a lot better, but IMO it needs to do better than 35 mpg hwy and have a price tag under $30k which I don't see either happening. The Cruze diesel we have has 0 options and had an MSRP of just over 25k.