DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 cc 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:32
finn5033 is on a distinguished road

titanman - you make a lot of good points. I currently drive an old saturn for a commuter car which I get great gas mileage in. But it is over 300,000 miles and needs to be replaced. And I have a 1/2 ton silverado that gets driven in bad weather and on the weekends. I am interested in the Ecodiesel hoping it can be an all in one vehicle for me. I am going to be getting another truck eventually as I currently have an extended cab and want a crew cab for family reasons. If the Ecodiesel doesn't make sense for me I am going to need to purchase a new commuter vehicle within the next year. I like the thought of that new Cruze diesel but I would have to have 2 car payments one for the car and one for the truck. I was thinking about spending 5-6k on a commuter but I would rather put that towards the new truck if it can be my daily driver.

Your thoughts on the new Colorados are my thoughts exactly. I am interested in one but I found some pricing for the overseas model with the diesel and if the prices end up being similar when they release them here you will be able to get a similar optioned Ram Ecodiesel for the same price as the Colorado.
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2013, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

First off, diesels pretty much are a start it up and go vehicle. They don't need warmed up before going, that is an old misnomer. Like any vehicle, its a good idea to take it easy while you drive it and warm it up. Same thing with a cool down period, normally you don't need it. If you pulled a heavy trailer up a long hill and pulled off the road and shut it off, that would be bad for the turbo, but most of the time you slow down for a turn or exit ramp, drive slow into a gas station, and most of the time this is good enough for a cool down period.

Stop and go driving are not bad for a diesel more than any other type of engine. The experience I have with my truck is that is where you see the greatest improvement in fuel economy is driving around town. What is hard on a diesel is short trips, this will make the DPF regen more often which will hurt fuel economy.

Maintance on a diesel? From my experience the diesel engine itself is no more expensive to maintain. It can be if you need injectors or a new turbo, but that usually occurs at high miles. With my truck, which is a 3/4 ton, the extra cost is the fact its a heavier duty truck, which makes it cost more for brakes, tires etc. You won't have that extra cost with a 1/2 ton.

Reading on how you would use a truck, you sound like a perfect candidate for the new eco-diesel.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:22 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
titanman2789 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn5033 View Post
titanman - you make a lot of good points. I currently drive an old saturn for a commuter car which I get great gas mileage in. But it is over 300,000 miles and needs to be replaced. And I have a 1/2 ton silverado that gets driven in bad weather and on the weekends. I am interested in the Ecodiesel hoping it can be an all in one vehicle for me. I am going to be getting another truck eventually as I currently have an extended cab and want a crew cab for family reasons. If the Ecodiesel doesn't make sense for me I am going to need to purchase a new commuter vehicle within the next year. I like the thought of that new Cruze diesel but I would have to have 2 car payments one for the car and one for the truck. I was thinking about spending 5-6k on a commuter but I would rather put that towards the new truck if it can be my daily driver.

Your thoughts on the new Colorados are my thoughts exactly. I am interested in one but I found some pricing for the overseas model with the diesel and if the prices end up being similar when they release them here you will be able to get a similar optioned Ram Ecodiesel for the same price as the Colorado.
Yes, the Colorado looks great but I can't see it costing much less than a brand new Ram Ecodiesel. Plus it won't be nearly as capable - although the Z71 package looks nice for going into the bush.

I hear ya on the 2 car payments. I don't like having 2 car payments either but now I fill up my truck once per month and my Cruze diesel 2-3 times per month. With the new car payment I am spending only $100-$150 more per month as opposed to only driving around in my truck, and now have the convenience of us having 2 vehicles instead of just the truck. Of course, that is what worked for us.

Don't forget about the DEF too. It doesn't cost much but is still an added cost. The fuel filter on diesels needs to be replaced periodically as well. My Chevy Cruze diesel fuel filter needs to be replaced every 30k miles according to the manual. After some math a forum member figured out that the driver info center says it needs to be replaced after using 1000 gallons of fuel (it counts down a % of usable life). It's an $80 part at wholesale and the labor cost is unknown still since I have not seen anyone post what it cost them to have it replaced. I imagine it will cost a bit because like I pointed out, the service techs don't get to work on these Cruze diesels very much so they will rack up the working time.

I like the 2 year maintenance plan on the Chevy Cruze. Everything is free right now. However I'm going to run out of free oil changes fast because I'm at almost 8000 miles in 3 months of owning it.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:25 PM

dodgeman - well I like your thinking because I too feel this is the ideal truck for what I want to do with it. All I can do is continue to watch for information on them and test drive one when they come out.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:42 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

I'll throw out a negative to the new 1/2 ton trucks, and this goes for all of them, not just the diesels.

They have limited weight carrying abilities. By the time you fill the vehicle with fuel, add 3 or 4 adults, some luggage, you are at the gross vehicle weight of the truck or near it. This doesn't leave much room for cargo or trailer tongue weight. The truth is, my 3/4 ton falls in this problem area also, by the time you add in the extra weight of my Cummins engine, the extra weight of the bigger axles and brakes, heavier frame, etc. it won't really carry any more weight than a 1/2 ton.

Most people don't worry about that stuff and wouldn't even no if they have their truck a couple of hundred pounds over weight, but I thought I'd throw this out their. This also hold true for cars, suv's, vans etc. If you figure the weight of 4 or 5 adults, luggage etc, you are pretty maxed out for the weight of the vehicle.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

watch the video that i posted yesterday, i think it was a well done review

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=161101
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-18-2013, 05:13 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Black Ram Express
Trim Level: Black Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
nitro017 is on a distinguished road

i think it ultimately depends on what you are using your truck for and how much you can afford. i have a hemi for now and probably will lease a couple more after this one since that is all i can truly afford before ultimately buying a diesel down the road. i really don't need a diesel at all since it would just be a daily driver with occasional hauling/towing of things but i just love the sound of a diesel. the gas mileage is very enticing and just picturing a lifted and tuned cummins has me all excited! i hope to be joining the cummins family down the road and will keep my fingers crossed as well guys.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
watch the video that i posted yesterday, i think it was a well done review

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=161101
Thanks that was a good review
Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

I've seen a few reviews, and some test-drives on you-tube. The truck looks promising! The motor is a 3.0 liter, V-6 turbo from a company called VM Motori. From what I understand, this is already a proven motor, so the teething pains should not be an issue. Here's a link to Diesel Power article covering Banks Engineering fun with it. Looks to be a winner. Lets hope the tranny's can handle it. Sorry, it won't let me post the link.

Last edited by Lazarus Truck; 12-18-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i wouldn't compare the eco diesel to the heavy duty cumins. nor would i expect the durability and longevity of the cumins.