DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
brains06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I hate to say this because I love superchips but I have found a few (maybe several) of the datalogging parameters that don't function. I think since it's the 4.7 which is on the sidelines to the hemi they didn't quite work out all the bugs. I love the tuner just for the performance gains, plus the advanced trans tuning, plus all the extras. It's a win win win. I used to use the 93 tune but ended up settling on the 87 performance tune because I hated retuning if I was hauling, towing, etc. Now what I do is use the 87 tune with 87 octane for daily driving, then if I haul/tow heavy loads I fill up the tank with 89 or 91 octane and am good to go. It doesn't pull QUITE as good as with the tow tune but it works well and seems to get the same mpg as the tow tune. This way I never have to retune and I save a few cents on gas with daily driving.

I just towed about 6000lb saturday (with another 1000lb in the bed) on the 87 perf tune. I had about 1/4 tank of 87 and put another $50 of 89 in the tank. Pulled it great.
I hear what you're saying and if I towed regularly I would try your method..but I almost never tow. When I had my Hemi I ran a hypertech 93 tune so using 93 isn't that big of a deal to me. What I'll probably do is play with this tune for a while then go back to the 87 when I get sick of paying .40 more a gallon. Right now I have almost a half tank of premium so I'll run it on my trip. If I see significant mpg gains I'll keep it. If not then it's back to 87
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2013, 05:07 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:27
Maddevill is on a distinguished road

I bought a used Superchip tuner for my 03 4.7 and had it updated by Superchips. Well, evidently the tuner won't recognize my particular truck so I can't get it to do anything. I've heard from a couple of people who talked to Superchips and were told that on a few 4.7 older trucks this happens and the tuner won't work. Anyone else heard anything about this?
Old 12-25-2013, 09:41 PM

Update. I drove to work using the mileage xs tune and after driving 75-80 the entire way I got 15.7 mpg. The trade off is that the programmer tells the trans to stay in 3rd or higher and downshift only when Damn near floored. I gotta say I kinda hated it. On the way home I plan to try the 87 performance tune and see how that works.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brains06 View Post
Update. I drove to work using the mileage xs tune and after driving 75-80 the entire way I got 15.7 mpg. The trade off is that the programmer tells the trans to stay in 3rd or higher and downshift only when Damn near floored. I gotta say I kinda hated it. On the way home I plan to try the 87 performance tune and see how that works.
cool, keep us posted as I have a 3hr drive tomorrow and will run it in 93 tune and see what I get as millage.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:36 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Man that doesn't seem good. I never ried the xs mileage tune. I use the 87 performance tune and very easily get 20mpg on the hwy at ~70mph.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Man that doesn't seem good. I never ried the xs mileage tune. I use the 87 performance tune and very easily get 20mpg on the hwy at ~70mph.
I've never seen 20mpg at any speed other than pedestrian. I've always attributed it to the combination of my 3.92 gears and 20"wheels. Am I missing something?
Old 12-26-2013, 05:19 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

OK so out on the road today, did a 4 hr drive, 80% highway, 20% city, Highway I was running between 60-70mph, city was 30-40 mph, truck finished its trip with an average of 16.8mpg running the superchips 93 Octane tune. This is what I was driving in most of the way, it was worse when I could not take the time to take a picture while driving.

Lots of Ice all over the place. Oh ya, we had an ice rain/snow storm LOL, oh ya, truck was full of baggage and 3 people, me 225lb Mum-in-law, 175lb and wife 110lb, baggage, 150lb.

Last edited by Asur; 12-26-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 PM

16.8 is closer to what I've been seeing. My last trip to work I saw 16.5-17 ish
Old 12-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Rep:470
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Boy my 13 with 3.55's blows you guys away.
At 70 mph it'll easily pull down a documented 22/23 miles per gallon,and at 45 mph cruising back roads i've documented 30.5 miles per gallon.
These are hand calculated,not EVIC numbers,on the EVIC i've seen 32 miles per gallon at 45.
I make the round trip to see my Mother fairly often as she's getting up in years.
It's 812 kilometers or 508 miles round trip,all highway.
I usually make the trip at 75 mph and still have close to 200 kilometers left on the EVIC before she's empty.
Only mods on mine that might contribute to mileage gains:trucks dropped 2" front and rear/Mopar hard tonnue cover/tires aired up 5% more then max,Redline synthetic oils in rear diff and motor/AirRaid CAI /ported throttle body/Magnaflow cat back exh,and a very well polished exterior finish

I might not like some of Dodges Thermal Management system on the 13's and up,but by the looks of the mileage differances you guys are getting with-out the thermal management system,i'll have to concede that Chrysler's doing something that helps mileage.
Rick
Old 12-27-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
Boy my 13 with 3.55's blows you guys away.
At 70 mph it'll easily pull down a documented 22/23 miles per gallon,and at 45 mph cruising back roads i've documented 30.5 miles per gallon.
These are hand calculated,not EVIC numbers,on the EVIC i've seen 32 miles per gallon at 45.
I make the round trip to see my Mother fairly often as she's getting up in years.
It's 812 kilometers or 508 miles round trip,all highway.
I usually make the trip at 75 mph and still have close to 200 kilometers left on the EVIC before she's empty.
Only mods on mine that might contribute to mileage gains:trucks dropped 2" front and rear/Mopar hard tonnue cover/tires aired up 5% more then max,Redline synthetic oils in rear diff and motor/AirRaid CAI /ported throttle body/Magnaflow cat back exh,and a very well polished exterior finish

I might not like some of Dodges Thermal Management system on the 13's and up,but by the looks of the mileage differances you guys are getting with-out the thermal management system,i'll have to concede that Chrysler's doing something that helps mileage.
Rick
First we have to take into consideration a few things.

1) 4X4 with lots of people and extra weight in the truck
2) Snow and ICE, winds up to 30 - 40 mph
3) 93 Octane tune with my mods probably pushing 375hr
4) Trip is through high mountains hitting 3 gear and 3-5k rpms to get up.
5) winter Gas

This was but a test using the 93 Performance tune.

Now that my tank is almost empty I am switching it to the standard 87 Octane tune.