DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:470
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
First we have to take into consideration a few things.

1) 4X4 with lots of people and extra weight in the truck
2) Snow and ICE, winds up to 30 - 40 mph
3) 93 Octane tune with my mods probably pushing 375hr
4) Trip is through high mountains hitting 3 gear and 3-5k rpms to get up.
5) winter Gas

This was but a test using the 93 Performance tune.

Now that my tank is almost empty I am switching it to the standard 87 Octane tune.
You must be somewhere around Quebec or slightly East of it,if you're running in mountains,lol.

Yup everything listed above makes a differance.
But my 13 is doing better then the older 4.7's by the reading i've done.
I wasn't giving Dodges Thermal Management system much credit,but after doing some reading on it,it does appear to be making a differance in mileage.
That's basically all i was saying.
Dropping my 2wd 2" was probably the most significant change i noticed.
The rest of the mods i have didn't seem to have much effect on mileage,but getting the truck closer to the ground was noticable on mileage,and fun factor,lol

65 horse gain on 310 ponies is alot.
How far away is a dragstrip from you Asur?
That's your best indicator for ponies gained,and you can get pretty close to your horsepower numbers with the 1/4 mile calculators that are out.
It'd be nice to see a back to back run,tuned vs non-tuned just for curiousities sake.
Rick
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
You must be somewhere around Quebec or slightly East of it,if you're running in mountains,lol.

Yup everything listed above makes a differance.
But my 13 is doing better then the older 4.7's by the reading i've done.
I wasn't giving Dodges Thermal Management system much credit,but after doing some reading on it,it does appear to be making a differance in mileage.
That's basically all i was saying.
Dropping my 2wd 2" was probably the most significant change i noticed.
The rest of the mods i have didn't seem to have much effect on mileage,but getting the truck closer to the ground was noticable on mileage,and fun factor,lol

65 horse gain on 310 ponies is alot.
How far away is a dragstrip from you Asur?
That's your best indicator for ponies gained,and you can get pretty close to your horsepower numbers with the 1/4 mile calculators that are out.
It'd be nice to see a back to back run,tuned vs non-tuned just for curiousities sake.
Rick
N/P rick, Quebec, did the run from Montreal to Lac Megantic, was just putting things in perspective, yes the air management system and the drop will help for sure. The closest drag strip is about 1hr away, I am a road racer, been for 25 years so I rarely see a drag strip lol, went once many, many, many years ago just to watch lol. The new Superchips with 93 tune was dyno'd by them as putting out an extra 61hp on the 4.7liter engine in a 2012 ( could be all BS but tell you I'v been in racing for a long time and can feel what the 5000lb truck is doing). with my other modes it may help a bit also. This coming summer I will play a bit more with the truck and this tuner but is up to date it puts the BD to shame.

Here is there results with the 93 octane performance tune.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:35 PM

Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

A 25 yr Road racer from Quebec,you wouldn't be related to the Villenue's would you,
Road racing is big in Quebec ,so i can see the lack of interest in going straight for you,a dragstrip's kinda boring compared to a road track .

Their dyno graph is impressive that's for sure.
Would of been nice to have the rpm numbers at the bottom,but not overly neccesary.

I believe you on the butt dyno.
If you have that many years of road racing under your belt,you'r butt is probably pretty accurate,lol.

I wonder how long it'll take Superchips before they have one for the 13's.
Diablo doesn't sound like they'll have anything for us later 4.7's,and BD says phone back in the New Year to see how they're making out.
It's mighty slim pickings for the 13's right at the moment.

I might try phoning Superchips in the New Year.
Rick
Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Rick, the rpms are there, you must have an ing them. It goes from 2500 to 6500.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:55 AM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A 25 yr Road racer from Quebec,you wouldn't be related to the Villenue's would you,
Not related, but I know both Jacques, the kid and the uncle. The uncle is an Idiot crazy mad man and the kid is somewhat a good driver, just way to antsy behind the wheel. (comparing to many other good drivers)

Quote:
Road racing is big in Quebec ,so i can see the lack of interest in going straight for you,a dragstrip's kinda boring compared to a road track .
Yup, I am not knocking Dragstrip racing, it take all kings in the racing industry, I like all racing, just been doing mechanics, photography and piloting so I have been in/under/ and around. Also helps I know the owner of a street course here in St-Eustache, Quebec, so cost has never been an issue. I have been out of racing now for 5 years since I busted up my back, nor do I do any photography either, my last contract was with the Rolex Series in the US. I did Champcar for years before it went belly up. Here is a something I did.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Their dyno graph is impressive that's for sure.
Would of been nice to have the rpm numbers at the bottom,but not overly necessary.

I believe you on the butt dyno.
If you have that many years of road racing under your belt,you'r butt is probably pretty accurate,lol.
Ya it sure helps, still not easy on a 5500lb truck but you can feel it but does not beat real Dyno Numbers LOL

Quote:
I wonder how long it'll take Superchips before they have one for the 13's.
Diablo doesn't sound like they'll have anything for us later 4.7's,and BD says phone back in the New Year to see how they're making out.
It's mighty slim pickings for the 13's right at the moment.

I might try phoning Superchips in the New Year.
Rick
ya it took a while for the 2012 but I got to think it can't be too long for the 2013, the ECU's are not all that different. I am very happy with my Flashpak, put it in 87 tune yesterday and still love it.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 AM

Sean the first time i looked at the graph i must of been blind,as the rpm numbers are there this morning.

Asur are those pics of you?

LMAO,you've moved up the ladder if they are.

I raced motocross and ice when i was a kid.
Apparently good enough Honda stepped up ,and was buying the bikes in 76/77 and passing out some cash.
My Dad was a push to get ice racing going in Sask in the mid 70's,so i've got my share of laps on lake tops
Did my share of sled racing too.

If you ever come this way,i'd like to meet you.
I'd love to hear about your experiences in Champcars,that's one style of racing i've never been around,but it's always intrigued me

Rick
Old 12-30-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Sean the first time i looked at the graph i must of been blind,as the rpm numbers are there this morning.

Asur are those pics of you?

LMAO,you've moved up the ladder if they are.

I raced motocross and ice when i was a kid.
Apparently good enough Honda stepped up ,and was buying the bikes in 76/77 and passing out some cash.
My Dad was a push to get ice racing going in Sask in the mid 70's,so i've got my share of laps on lake tops
Did my share of sled racing too.

If you ever come this way,i'd like to meet you.
I'd love to hear about your experiences in Champcars,that's one style of racing i've never been around,but it's always intrigued me

Rick
PM'ed you some info
Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Rep:10
brains06 is on a distinguished road

I'll be getting off the rig Wednesday morning and I plan on running the 87 performance tune on my trip home. It's about 175 miles so I should get a good reading of fuel mileage. I have a feeling it's gonna be better than the mileage tune because I won't have to lead foot it in order to get up to speed.

On a side note my cruise only works intermittently below 65 and never above it. I pulled a code for an intermittent speed sensor signal. I'm not sure if I have four wheel abs but if I don't, is the speed sensor the same as the abs sensor? I know it's pretty hard to get the abs sensor without the hub assembly. Can I just get the speed sensor alone? Could it possibly just be dirty?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brains06 View Post
I'll be getting off the rig Wednesday morning and I plan on running the 87 performance tune on my trip home. It's about 175 miles so I should get a good reading of fuel mileage. I have a feeling it's gonna be better than the mileage tune because I won't have to lead foot it in order to get up to speed.

On a side note my cruise only works intermittently below 65 and never above it. I pulled a code for an intermittent speed sensor signal. I'm not sure if I have four wheel abs but if I don't, is the speed sensor the same as the abs sensor? I know it's pretty hard to get the abs sensor without the hub assembly. Can I just get the speed sensor alone? Could it possibly just be dirty?
Usually on a truck that has electronic throttle control the Driver side front speed sensor signal is compared to the Driver side rear speed sensor signal for redundancy and safety. If this signal is missing or erratic then the cruise control will not work or work erratically, it is possible you have a defective sensor or that the tone wheel in at the bearing is dirty or missing teeth. If they look good, I would test the ohm's of each sensor as I spin the wheel and see if one is defective, it could also be a wire from the harness, you should get +5 or +12 volts, not sure on a 2008. Also, check your fuse, some have a fuse for the front and one for the back, some its just one fuse. Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Tighter response as in gear changes tighter?

Not sure what you mean....
Yup, exactly what I mean