DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light
Question question for all you electronics genious's

So basically I go on numerous bus trips a year with my Boy Scout troop. This Winter alone ill be going on likeee 6 or 7 bus rides that will be anywhere from 3 hours to a 2 day trip. We always watch movies on a laptop or stuff like that.

But seeing as its a full size bus with lots of screeming little boy scouts, Its very hard to hear the laptop speakers. And splitting a headphone output 5 ways kill the laptop super fast. And we cant charge them on the bus sometimes because the bus's battery is poop and can only take a 400 watt inverter without killling the bus. And even then, itll hardly charge a laptop, but with the extra thousands on phones charging as well its damn near impossible to charge a laptop!

but onto the actual question, I have a pair of 20 watt speakers that were in my old TV. And they're nice old speakers, Is there a way I can turn these into a little portable speaker system with a 3/8s input and powered by a few 9vs or some batteries of any kind?

I know batteries will die somewhat fast. But I don't mind changing batteries every few hours if i can hear.

EDIT:: I tthhinnkkkk i do need an amp of some sort. And i have an old pair of computer speakers that I can tear apart as well.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs

Last edited by Thebestestdrummer; 12-21-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Is a sloppy perfectionist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Rep:1694
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

If they're standard HiFidelity speakers they shouldn't need an external power source.

Find an old pair of headphones and cannibalize the plug and splice it into the donor speakers.

You could just try an old set of speakers out of your truck.

Here's a thought...get an old amp and wire that into the bus and it's sound system. Then as the input, wire in the speaker jack that you cannibalized directly to the amp and run it through the bus's sound system or make a box out of an old sub box with the amp attached to it and just plug that into the laptop.

Last edited by Warlock III; 12-22-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

Since i have a few extra head units I was thinking about putting a seperate system in the back. But its an old bus that has a terrible electrical system in it. We actually just put 2 new maasssiivvveeee batteries in it. But its still bad. So doing something like that is a no untill we get the electrical stuff fixed.

and id rather have it externally poweed if at all possible so it doensnt drain my laptop as fast.

And I looked that the speakers that id like to use again, Theyre nice Carvin stereo speakers that are 10 watt (not 20 like i thought) and 8 ohm.
Green Interior LEDs
Old 12-22-2013, 08:57 PM

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

Why don't you just get external speakers for the laptop? Maybe it's just me but I don't think they use any additional power, so to say.

What kind of bus is this?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

because that's no fun!!!! hahaha

And its an 80's something Bluebird. basically a schoolbus. But its a charter bus. Its got the bathroom and all that fun stuff. But it looks like a school bus.
Green Interior LEDs
Old 12-23-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer View Post
because that's no fun!!!! hahaha

And its an 80's something Bluebird. basically a schoolbus. But its a charter bus. Its got the bathroom and all that fun stuff. But it looks like a school bus.
Well then, if it's FUN you're looking for...build one of these and put it on the bus.

Or one of these:

Last edited by Warlock III; 12-23-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Ahahaha if I had enough room to put a bike in it, I would! And I don't have a spare battery or alternator either! Hahaha.

And that's just a smidgen too much lol.

But I was playing with them and got them hooked up just from my ipod and they definitely were not loud enough Haha.
Green Interior LEDs