DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:258
Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough
Default sell it or modify it?? somebody please help!!

ok not sure if this is the right spot to post this or not but since it covers a few different topics thought i would post here...

Right now i have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 with 5.9L. i have put alot of time and money into this truck in the three years i have owned it. it is now approaching 170K miles on it and my parents want me to sell it instead of dumping how much money i have been into it... just this summer i blow my transmission and that cost me about $2500 to fix(i think i got ripped off for that price or is that the going rate? it is my only vehicle so had to bite the bullet and have it fixed for that amount)

some of the future mods i had planned for it was a suspension lift, gears(3/4 or 1 ton axles too), redo interior, redo some of my wiring, and im probably forgetting a few things.

but this being my first truck i have decided on a few things like sometimes i wish it was an extended cab instead of regular especially when i see a lifted extended cab. Also i think i would rather have a cummins than the 5.9L

So what do you guys think?? sell the one i have now and look for a extended cab cummins? I like the 2nd gen look more than the 3rd gen so think i would stay this gen

If i do that how much would my truck be worth?? i think kelly blue book says 5-6K but is my truck worth much more with everything on it or do i loose all the money i have put into it? i know i will lose some but i would think it would raise the value of the truck at least some amount??

so modify my 99 to a heavy duty truck even tho it has high miles or sell it while it has value and get a cummins?? what do you guys think??

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2013, 01:49 PM

Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough

just got home from work so thought id add a lil more to this...
what are the pros and cons when dealing with a 5.9L Vs. Cummins??

Here are some of my recent pics for those of you that dont know what the truck looks like:

and all washed up minus the new side steps:

what to do... decisions decisions....

if i do go for a different truck how many of these mods could be kept to work with a 2500?? or would i have to completly start over??

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rdm1465 is on a distinguished road

First of all nice looking truck. As far as what you can get for it, would depend if somebody else wants what you have into it. A dealership will not give you anything for your mods. If they do at all it will be very little.
Also, you will have to start from scratch on the mods. Lift kits are for specific vehicles. So what you have now will in most likelihood not work for you. You can check with the manufacturer for the kit number. Be sure to mention standard cab or extended cab, year, and of course the lift height. Are you going to do the work yourself or a shop? Keeping that in mind for cost too. Good luck to you
Old 12-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

look around for the diesel extended cab, see what the prices are
as you are driving around, have a sign in your back window
For Sale & your phone number only
do it in soap or some easily removed product
keep it low on the rear window, so you don't block any of your vision
you don't want it to be BLATANT, just noticeable

No dealership will pay for your MODS, but you can bet that the mods will be a major selling point once they own it
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-22-2013, 03:39 PM

thanks guys! ya i love the truck but i have figured out(the hard way) that im gonna just keep eating thru ball joints and wheel hubs with these 35's so axle swap and gears are needed bad... plus ive been wanting to lift the truck higher and get bigger tires but that would be pointless to do with these stock axles cause they wont be able to handle it... how much are used 1 ton axles from a junk yard usually?? and agreed with going thru a dealership, they will always rip you off on a trade in so id be looking to find the right buyer and also for buying a truck id look for a private seller cause its usually cheaper that way

i just wanna know how much i will have to put into this truck to get it to be able to handle big tires and a lift vs. just starting over with a 2500 or 3500

plus either way i go i would need new rims cause i would need an 8 lug rim... which sucks cause im still paying off these lol

i would think some of my mods would work with a 2500... like my headlights, bushwacker fender flares(not pictured on my truck right now), could take my stero sytem out.. prolly be about it, would a 2500 have same size wheel wells as a 1500??

ugh its never ending!! lol

Old 12-22-2013, 04:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:657
huntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to beholdhuntergreen is a splendid one to behold

KEEP IIT! 170000 miles is nothing on the cumins. you already did the trans. it will go through ball joints, being lifted may cause them to a bit sooner. with out including the mods, it will be cheaper to keep this running than to get a new one.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:21 PM

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

If i remember correctly
you would have to modify your current frame to put on bigger axles
the heavy duty frames use wider & longer leaf springs, so the spring perches would have to be moved

Here are some sample diesel Rams that are online
http://www.dieseltraderonline.com/li...ake=Dodge&p=50
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 12-22-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
KEEP IIT! 170000 miles is nothing on the cumins. you already did the trans. it will go through ball joints, being lifted may cause them to a bit sooner. with out including the mods, it will be cheaper to keep this running than to get a new one.

Hunter if it was the cummins already i would be in love lol but it is the 5.9L 360 (gas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
If i remember correctly
you would have to modify your current frame to put on bigger axles
the heavy duty frames use wider & longer leaf springs, so the spring perches would have to be moved

Here are some sample diesel Rams that are online
http://www.dieseltraderonline.com/li...ake=Dodge&p=50
ya the reviews ive read says that axle swaps in 2nd gens are the easiest they have ever done.. everything just bolts right up. the rear axle does need the spring perch removed and you add the 1500 one onto it, said it aint that had if you are good at welding which im not but have friends that are. but im gonna look at that link and maybe post some ive found to see what you guys think

Old 12-22-2013, 04:55 PM

came across these two so far...
not sure if i like the longbed on this one but low miles!
http://carbondale.craigslist.org/ctd/4233478117.html

this one seems perfect and is only right down the road.. is 212,000 miles to many? says newly rebuilt engine but price is a lil steep for me and he already said he cant trade for a single cab truck
http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/4228647073.html

Old 12-22-2013, 05:14 PM

geez, that long bed looks like it goes on forever
it may be great for a landscaper's truck, but ......