DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:88
ty-wa will become famous soon enough
Default Tips for newbie..?

Turning in my lease here soon, was going to buy it but my buddy just got a 6.4 power stroke and fell in love with diesel. My dream truck has always been a ram 2500 cummins. And I am a landscaper, so it will be pulling, nothing my current ram couldn't handle, but honestly i just want a diesel.

I ran across a 2006 Ram 2500 Big Horn edition. 177XXX miles, mint exterior and nice exterior. All service records available, 2 owner, just like i said, nice truck. Asking 22000 OBO.
Clean fax, clean truck, test drove, and took diesel buddy and my step dad and they loved it too,

Now i'm just asking for advice or tips/tricks being my first diesel? I got him down to 20000 and was gonna pick it up on the 3rd.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

if that is a 5.9, and it checks out, buy it.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:22 PM

Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft

Its a 5.9, (last year 5.9, well sort of..ha) my dad doesn't know too much about diesels, and he's worried about the milage, but for a cummins, especially a 2006 5.9, thats not bad at all, right?
MORE INFO: The entire front end has been replaced, trac bar, stabilizer, ball joints, blistine 5100s, leveling kit (goes w/ stabilizer) and all that good stuff and trans serviced at 110XXX, In addition, it has a set of 20 inch Roush Racing-Alcoa custom forged light duty truck wheels on it, so my 35s I just got will go nicely.
I checked all the fluids and did the best I could, its just a clean truck.
Just trying to get pointers from everyone like I said.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Color: Bright White Clear Coat
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:104
Frankf300 will become famous soon enoughFrankf300 will become famous soon enough

5.9 is one hell of a motor. Mileage is not crazy for a Cummins, so it's going to come down to maintenance. I've only had my 6.7 for a few weeks, but I've been running diesel heavy equipment and diesel trucks since I was a teenager for work; our entire work fleet is diesel. Try and get ALL the background on the truck now before you make a purchase you regret. Oil changes, all possible maintenance, did he keep up with it or did he do it when he felt like it and was 10k over on his oil changes, etc. Almost more important than anything is the driver. Try to feel the guy out, did he beat on it? Why is he selling it? A diesel is by no means a gasser and is not meant to be driven like its a gas motor. Completely different animals, completely different way of driving. I have an advantage cause my brother in law is a lead mechanic for Pierce fire engines and strictly does diesels, but if you have the option to get a mechanic to check it out first it would probably put your mind at ease. 5.9 is practically a bulletproof motor, but may as well cover all your bases now before diving in head first. Good luck, keep us updated!

Edit: Today is actually exactly a month since I picked up my Cummins, I guess time flies when you're having fun

Last edited by Frankf300; 12-23-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
dodge.ram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankf300 View Post
5.9 is one hell of a motor. Mileage is not crazy for a Cummins, so it's going to come down to maintenance. I've only had my 6.7 for a few weeks, but I've been running diesel heavy equipment and diesel trucks since I was a teenager for work; our entire work fleet is diesel. Try and get ALL the background on the truck now before you make a purchase you regret. Oil changes, all possible maintenance, did he keep up with it or did he do it when he felt like it and was 10k over on his oil changes, etc. Almost more important than anything is the driver. Try to feel the guy out, did he beat on it? Why is he selling it? A diesel is by no means a gasser and is not meant to be driven like its a gas motor. Completely different animals, completely different way of driving. I have an advantage cause my brother in law is a lead mechanic for Pierce fire engines and strictly does diesels, but if you have the option to get a mechanic to check it out first it would probably put your mind at ease. 5.9 is practically a bulletproof motor, but may as well cover all your bases now before diving in head first. Good luck, keep us updated!

What do you mean when you say diesels are meant to be driven different aside from avoiding short trips.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Color: Bright White Clear Coat
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:104
Frankf300 will become famous soon enoughFrankf300 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge.ram View Post
What do you mean when you say diesels are meant to be driven different aside from avoiding short trips.
Well it starts right at turning the key haha, gotta remember to let those glow plugs (grid preheat in the Cummins) do their thing. Especially on my 6.7, I have no block heater. Diesels are all torque, and they are turbo. Forced induction and N/A motors are already a big difference even in gas. The cummins puts out a nice amount of HP, but it's still a torquey motor. When you stomp on a Hemi from a stop light the truck just gets up and goes, not so much with a diesel. When you stomp on a diesel you're getting all torque until that turbo spools and kicks and than it will pin you to your seat. That's the reason why they are designed to tow, you need a lot of torque for a good tow vehicle. Just look at the red lines too. My hemi I believe redlined around 6K, my 6.7's red line is just around 3k. When I had my Hemi, I would constantly stomp on it at left turns while I had cars coming at me, cause I knew the truck would get out of it's own way. Whether it's our Sprinter, Duramax, Powerstroke, or my cummins (we have all the varieties lol) I think twice before making a stupid move like that. Diesels have mind blowing power, but from a dead stop you gotta remember you're not driving a gas, and diesels really aren't meant to be stomped on anyway since there is a lot of low end torque.

Last edited by Frankf300; 12-23-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:27 PM

He has all the service records from when he owned it. Oil changes every 7000K (at the high end) He lives right next to a Cummins Service Center, so he gets all of his oil and filters there. The guy seemed really cool, he wants a newer truck (actually a 6.4 power stroke, hah) so thats why he's selling it. He said he had a smarty JR for a week, and then sold it, it is currently NOT programed. He did use to have stacks, which was my only concern. The trans was serviced at 120K and entire front end replaced at 160K.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:27 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

hopefully he upgraded the parts used in the front end, but ball joints will need to be replaced every 50 to 60000 miles or so. find out if the injectors are original or rebuilt. the only other concern i would have is the fuel pump.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:15 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:221
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

It had stacks? Is the bed cut for them? It seems like people that have stacks also have a tuner on them. That's not all that bad as long as the truck hasn't been beat on.

One check is to take the oil fill cap off once it warms up and set it on top of the oil fill hole upside down. It shouldn't blow off. It will dance around a little but shouldn't do much more. This is a quick way to check for blow by.

Also a cold start will tell a lot. It should start in about 3 seconds. Watch the exhaust during this start, it shouldn't do much more than a puff of dark smoke.

The 5.9 is a great engine but they and the truck can be a money pit also. I suggest reading some of the Cummins forums.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

A diesel engine loves abuse
I was told by the mechanics that worked on them, to drive it like you were mad at it
don't baby it like you do a gasoline engine

the best thing about a diesel engine is that you can rebuild them several times, then re-sleeve them & rebuild them several more times
The bad thing is the OEM fuel pumps can go hay wire, but they make great after market pumps to replace them.

Gale Banks Cummins engines are the best

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle