DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Larime
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 1995-1997 318ci (5.2L) Natural Gas V8 200hp 430lb/ft
Rep:10
rusty24 is on a distinguished road
Default A Little Help

Im looking for a little assistance here on replacement parts. I am currently in the process of doing an overhaul on a 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4 1500 (SLT STD Cab/Long Bed) for my daughter. This was my wifes truck originally and now that my little girl is getting her drivers license, she asked if she could have it rather than the Honda Civic we were gonna give her.

The dash needs replaced. I saw that LMC has a replacement dash, but everywhere else I looked had the covers ..... and they only work if you have all the cracked pieces to adhere the new cover too. I would rather just slap a new one in. I know this will be pricey, but the dash is waaaayyyyy to gone in my mind.

Bushings. A lot of dry rot in the front. LMC had a few different sets of bushings, but is there a complete kit that I may be missing? Energy Suspension has a nice kit that looks like it has everything.

These are 2 or the big 3 that Im knocking out ASAP. Im also doing the brakes; but I think I have my answer on that. Would love to do a BREMBO set up .... but she can fork over the cash'ola for that. We will stick with the stock and refurbish whats there.
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

for the dash you can get a ABS plastic cap
just remove the badly broken pieces first

http://www.dashcoversplus.com/site/1427228/page/864510

what one guy did

coverlay dash install

Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 12-26-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

I had a Coverlay in my old truck from the previous owner. It looked almost factory. I haven't had good luck with LMC parts, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Only issue with the coverlay would be if you needed to get to the heater core/evaporator core, since the coverlay is glued on.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 1500, 2000 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie, SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:80
slimpartywagon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the persuader View Post
I had a Coverlay in my old truck from the previous owner. It looked almost factory. I haven't had good luck with LMC parts, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Only issue with the coverlay would be if you needed to get to the heater core/evaporator core, since the coverlay is glued on.

I have been using LMC parts for years (body and interior), with out any issues. I wouldn't recommend using any of their mechanical replacement parts or any online source that doesn't have a brick and mortor building in your area), that's what your local part store is for that way if there is a problem, warranty isn't so hard to get.

But as far as using LMC's Dash Cap, and other interior trim parts, they use doorman products which is who the auto body shops are going to get their parts from.

I just got into an accident with my wife's Blazer back in October. I needed a new grill, bumper and hood. The body shop was going to charge me close to 3000 for all the body parts, I asked them what brand they were and who they were ordering through. They told me that they couldn't tell me who they were getting their parts through, but that the parts were made by Doorman, so I went onto LMC and bought everything I needed for just under a grand. I installed the hood and bumper then took it down to the body shop to have them paint it. Got the paint sprayed on for a little over a hundred.

Once everything was done and pout back together, I had to have my insurance adjuster come out and take pictures of the Blazer (since i have full coverage insurance). The adjuster looked the car over, took his pictures then compared it back to the pictures from 3 years a go when we bought it. He told me it looked better now than it did 3 years a go, he couldn't tell it had ever been smacked.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimpartywagon View Post
I have been using LMC parts for years (body and interior), with out any issues. I wouldn't recommend using any of their mechanical replacement parts or any online source that doesn't have a brick and mortor building in your area), that's what your local part store is for that way if there is a problem, warranty isn't so hard to get.

But as far as using LMC's Dash Cap, and other interior trim parts, they use doorman products which is who the auto body shops are going to get their parts from.

I just got into an accident with my wife's Blazer back in October. I needed a new grill, bumper and hood. The body shop was going to charge me close to 3000 for all the body parts, I asked them what brand they were and who they were ordering through. They told me that they couldn't tell me who they were getting their parts through, but that the parts were made by Doorman, so I went onto LMC and bought everything I needed for just under a grand. I installed the hood and bumper then took it down to the body shop to have them paint it. Got the paint sprayed on for a little over a hundred.

Once everything was done and pout back together, I had to have my insurance adjuster come out and take pictures of the Blazer (since i have full coverage insurance). The adjuster looked the car over, took his pictures then compared it back to the pictures from 3 years a go when we bought it. He told me it looked better now than it did 3 years a go, he couldn't tell it had ever been smacked.
I'm glad you had good luck with them. I'm just posting my experience with LMC.

The fitment of the parts I have received are poor and the mechanical parts are worthless. I've used Dorman pieces and while LMC may use some of their parts on some vehicles, they don't use Dorman for everything.

I've ordered taillights, a door handle, and a power mirror from LMC. The taillights ended up hazing after a couple months, the door handle wasn't the right color and wasn't as good as OEM. The power mirror finish oxidized withing a month, and the power motor broke soon after. It also shook going down the road.

My buddy had an 85 K5 Blazer and basically redid the entire interior from LMC. The door panels didn't even fit without modification, the dash cracked within 6 months, etc.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:190
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

X2 with Persuader. LMC parts are TOP-DOLLAR$$$, but seem to lack in quality. Wont order from them again.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Larime
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 1995-1997 318ci (5.2L) Natural Gas V8 200hp 430lb/ft
rusty24 is on a distinguished road

Im looking at replacing the dash. I know it will be a few bucks more than getting a cap/cover, but as you mentioned earlier, I may need to get in there later on. This will be her ride for a few years and then my son may get it. Eventually it may come back full circle to the wife. I'd rather drop a few dollars now rather than doing it multiple times.

I think the "stealership" may be the best option. Everything I see is caps or covers.

Last edited by rusty24; 01-04-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: Driftwood Satin Metallic
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
jabba974 is on a distinguished road

I don't know about the replacement dash, but as far as bushings go, Energy suspension is a great choice...polyurethayne will hold up great and increase handling...ANother choice would be Moog chassis parts... you can get them at most parts stores... As far as brakes go, buy good quality rotors, like raybestos...you can get some good cross drilled or slotted rotors too...I always use ceramic brake pads...they last longer and stop better, dont wear the rotors as fast and no brake dust...Raybestos on the pads too..