DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-27-2013, 11:40 PM
R A M M S T E I N

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Sport CC Hemi
Trim Level: Sportabulous
Color: White
Rep:580
RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

No problem man. I see you're a fellow medic. Been one myself for over 20 yrs. Glad to help a brother out!

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
37x12.5R20 Pro Comp Xtreme MT2
* Diablo Sport Trinity T1000 * Cabin Air Filter
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau

Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2013, 03:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:58
BremboD will become famous soon enough

My buddy just went through something like this on his 2004 2500. He had studs break, and lugs fall off, even after torquing them properly!

We never found the culprit for certain, as he just ended up buying some fuel rims. But from what I could personally tell was that the lug nuts didn't seem to seat against the rim properly. Now, this was uncertain.

A few thugs to check that I was told from the manufacturer directly were;

Make sure that the stud isn't maxing out on the inside of the lug

Check to make sure that there is no air gap between the rim and the lug when physically holding the lug into its seated position, shining a light on it, and looking into the hole from the back of the rim while it is off the truck

And make sure the studs are seated into the hub 100%, if not! they can pull in and cause the lug to become loose.

Is this happening to mainly the front end of the truck per chance?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
HOOAHHemi is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help again. I replaced the studs on the driver side today with brand new studs and lug nuts. Made sure they were on and torqued correctly. We will see what happens. BremboD, it did only happen on the front wheels (knock on wood). Warlock and Ram357, thank you for the assistance and insight as to why this could be happening. I may look into the hub centric spacer just as a precaution. I'll go back and check them every 100 miles and hopefully it was just the rusted old wheel studs that sucked ass and I will be good from here.
6'' BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts, 17'' XD Addict wheels, 37x12.5R17 Mickey Thompson Deegan 38s, Diablosport inTune, K&N 77 Series intake, Flowmaster 10 Series SIDO, Mag-Hytec diff cover, Rumble Bee hood, one piece aluminum grill, Extang Trifecta.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 PM
R A M M S T E I N

RAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to allRAM357 is a name known to all

Did you get any info on the equipment required with your Addict wheels though? How did that phone call go?

* 2014 RAM Sport CC* BDS 6" Suspension* Fox 2.5 Coil-over front * Fox 2.0 rear & Pro-Ride 3" coil* 3.92 Gearing* Fuel hostages in 20x9 +1
* ARH LT headers * Magnaflow catback/5" tips * 87mm Ported TB * Moroso Polished Catch Can*_QTP_electric_cutout_&_3"_turn_down * Legmaker Short Ram * S&B custom filter * Outerwears Pre-filter * Extang Solid-Fold Tonneau

Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:58
BremboD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOAHHemi View Post
Thanks for the help again. I replaced the studs on the driver side today with brand new studs and lug nuts. Made sure they were on and torqued correctly. We will see what happens. BremboD, it did only happen on the front wheels (knock on wood). Warlock and Ram357, thank you for the assistance and insight as to why this could be happening. I may look into the hub centric spacer just as a precaution. I'll go back and check them every 100 miles and hopefully it was just the rusted old wheel studs that sucked ass and I will be good from here.
Interesting. My buddy's rims did the same thing on the front only.
My suggestion just for safety's sake is to drive around with a tourque wrench. Every time you stop, just tourque them up. They seemed to loosen up about 40lbs every 20k or so on that 2500.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:04 PM

So everything has been going great until this morning. I was driving down the highway, headed to my drill weekend with the National Guard, and all of a sudden felt a vibration in the truck. So I pulled over as soon as I could and found that the same issue had happened to a lug and stud on the front driver side. This is the one that sheared all but 1 off about 5 weeks ago. So tomorrow morning I will be replacing it, properly torque the nuts again, and as soon as I can, I'm gonna take the truck in for another alignment because I noticed some wear on the front tires.

I was talking to one of the mechanics in my unit today and he asked when I had the lift installed. I had it installed back in September and didn't run into an issue until the beginning of December. Between the lift install and the first stud failure, I put 2,000 miles on the truck and had driven across the state of PA and the state of NJ. He said that the extreme cold weather we have been having on the east coast and possible over torque/under torque could be the big issue.

So I've torqued the lugs properly when I did the install for the second time around 12/31/13, still considering hub centric rings to aide in the weight distribution, and I am going to have the front end aligned again.

Thanks for all the insight and ideas and help you guys have been providing me. Crazy that I never saw this problem popping up every time I read about lifting the truck.
6'' BDS Suspension w/ Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts, 17'' XD Addict wheels, 37x12.5R17 Mickey Thompson Deegan 38s, Diablosport inTune, K&N 77 Series intake, Flowmaster 10 Series SIDO, Mag-Hytec diff cover, Rumble Bee hood, one piece aluminum grill, Extang Trifecta.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:37 PM
R A M M S T E I N

If you need special nuts and/or hub centric rings then please, please order them ASAP!

I'm puzzled why you're dragging your heels?

This must be frustrating for you, not to mention the inherent safety risk.

Var

Old 01-28-2014, 12:25 AM

So this morning I replaced the studs and nuts. The wheel supplier sent the lug nuts that fit my vehicle and the XD wheel, I even questioned them on the phone. I measured the hub and the hub space on the wheel today and ordered hub centric rings. I figure the proper torqued lugs, hub centric rings, and a recent alignment should take care of any issues I am having. I am also putting the socket, lug key, and torque wrench in my truck as a precaution and will be spot checking the lugs periodically. Thanks for the assistance everyone.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 AM
R A M M S T E I N

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOAHHemi View Post
So this morning I replaced the studs and nuts. The wheel supplier sent the lug nuts that fit my vehicle and the XD wheel, I even questioned them on the phone. I measured the hub and the hub space on the wheel today and ordered hub centric rings. I figure the proper torqued lugs, hub centric rings, and a recent alignment should take care of any issues I am having. I am also putting the socket, lug key, and torque wrench in my truck as a precaution and will be spot checking the lugs periodically. Thanks for the assistance everyone.
Good job ordering the rings finally!

And this will crack you up - YOU and your situation inspired me to carry around my torque wrench and sockets to check intermittently OR if I felt they were loosening - and I started this weeks ago

Let us know it the rings fix things up.

Oh, and ask yourself this - any chance some nutjob is loosening things on you without your knowing? Far fetched, but ya never know - you may have some nutty ex who put some guy on it for her.

Var

Old 01-28-2014, 01:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

your wheel supplier should be shot if they sold lug centric wheels
if it is a local shop, you should ask them to pay you for the cost of the lugs & all the hassle
they won't of course, but it will make them think twice before selling anyone else a lug centric wheel
They could have a law suit against them if you had wrecked your vehicle & or injured yourself
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle